Contribute
Register

Best silent cooling for Bitfenix Prodigy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OS X
CPU
Intel i7
Graphics
EVGA
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

A few months back I built myself a version of the CustoMac Mini Deluxe in a Bitfenix Prodigy case. I used the CPU fan and standard case fan, but would like to get the machine silent (or as close to silent as possible!)

Would anyone be able to recommend a quiet cooling solution – wasn't sure if water cooling was the way to go (I'm not doing any overclocking)

Thanks and look forward to your help!

:) Sam

Hey everyone,

A few months back I built myself a version of the CustoMac Mini Deluxe in a Bitfenix Prodigy case. I used the CPU fan and standard case fan, but would like to get the machine silent (or as close to silent as possible!)

Would anyone be able to recommend a quiet cooling solution – wasn't sure if water cooling was the way to go (I'm not doing any overclocking)

Thanks and look forward to your help!

:) Sam

If you want the traditional fan cooling, I'm very happy with Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2. When building a silent rig, the Power supply needs to be considered also. The CPU cooler Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2 is quite big. You have to use lower profile memory and dedicated GPU does not fit (middle picture). This is a good solution when using the Intel HD graphics. The Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2 fits nicely into the Prodigy case (last picture).

Attachments

• Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2- 007.jpg
    Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2- 007.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4,231
  • Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2-013.jpg
    Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2-013.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6,033
  • Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2-021.jpg
    Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2-021.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 9,686
Air cooling should be enough for that set but if you want to go over the top like I did then here is my very quiet build :

Tops fans were not installed when I took these pictures, but there are two. Fans are controlled by an Aquaero 5 LT controller and stay at minimum speed unless water temperature starts rising. PSU is a Seasonic Platinum that runs in passive mode on light load.

If you want the traditional fan cooling, I'm very happy with Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2. When building a silent rig, the Power supply needs to be considered also. The CPU cooler Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2 is quite big. You have to use lower profile memory and dedicated GPU does not fit (middle picture). This is a good solution when using the Intel HD graphics. The Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2 fits nicely into the Prodigy case (last picture).
I agree. Noctua fans are the way to go if you can afford them, air cooling should suit you just fine. IF you want to save a few bucks and dont want to dish out a ton for an noctua air cooler, why not buy a cheaper cooler like an evo 212 and replace the fan?

Thanks to the excellent pictures supplied you could try this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220055&Tpk=Silverstone%20HEO2

Another solution that is also fanless is this http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-100A.php

I would like to see pictures of this quality with one of these solutions.

Run silent,Run deep !!

I have seen some really small cases with fanless solutions on Tonymac, but unfortunately the model of Shuriken used is no longer available.

Thanks for these suggestions – I'll check them out! Not sure if they might be an issue with a graphics card space wise though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back