Contribute
Register

Best practice going from GTX 650ti to Gigabyte 7970 OC 3GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
HD 7970 x2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking for some advice and guidance from the GPU gurus here on tonymacx86. I've tried to study this subject but I still have some questions. My hackPRO has been running good for almost a year and is currently at 10.8.5 with a MacPRO 3,1 designation. I've tried several other system definitions but this one seems to work. I use FCPX almost daily on this machine for work and I play BF3 a lot (am looking forward to BF4).

So my question is how do I uninstall my current Nvidia GPU and install an AMD one. I don't mean physically I'm asking specifically about removal of drivers and adding new ones. I am currently running integrated HD4000 in tandem with my GTX650ti. If it is possible to do so with new AMD GPU with current MultiBeast then I would prefer that set up if not then what would I change my bios settings to? I hope i've given enough information to get an answer but if I have not please let me know what else I can tell you about my system.

hackPRO: GA-Z77X-UD5H - i7 3770K - EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2GB
HTPC: GA-B75M-D3P - i3 3225 - HD 4000
xMINI: GA-H77N-WIFI - i3 3225 - HD 4000

So this has turned out to be a bear! I'm really having a hard time with getting this to work. I am appealing to you good folk for help. It seems that a lot of the info about this card is incomplete or possibly outdated unless I'm missing the obvious. I'm learning the hard way just how unhelpful post are that say "mine works" so if I have been guilty of this I will try to do better. Can someone or ones please point me to post/tutorials/guides/videos or anything that will help me get this card working!!!

I have tried several of the less obtrusive methods and none has allowed me to install this card correctly. The closest I came was a boot to the desktop but then froze immediately. Please, please help me get this card installed. Thank you for your help in advance!

Side note: This card works great on my hackPRO under windows.

Ok then.. I will answer this myself...

I had to do a clean install.

1.) recreated my unibeast usb with the 10.8.5 osx download
2.) Installed osx per instruction
could not boot... researched... found AppleHDA.kext the problem
booted into osx safe mode -x and deleted AppleHDA.kext found in S/L/E
installed latest multibeast
3.) restarted system - everything working - shut down
4.) inserted HD7970 - rebooted recognized completely OOB!

HOLY FREAKING COW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back