Contribute
Register

Best performing and best supported graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
iMac (27" - Mid 2010)
CPU
2.93 GHz Core i7
Graphics
HD5850 Mobility
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a hackingtosh system.

I'll go for a P55 system probably with an i7 860 CPU.

The real question is:

What's the best performing price-worthy graphics card that can be installed to support 2 monitors over DVI (no TV-out/HDMI required)? I'm not worried about kext hacks or something like that as long as it works.

I've thinking about HD4890 or a GTX275. AFAIK the AMD 5000 series is a no go ATM.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

GTS 250?

Or are you going to run a dual boot system and play games in Windows?
I don't really see the need for a super high-end card for OSX, at least not unless you're a gamer, although even so, most games that run on OSX aren't that graphics intensive.

thelostswede said:
GTS 250?

Or are you going to run a dual boot system and play games in Windows?
I don't really see the need for a super high-end card for OSX, at least not unless you're a gamer, although even so, most games that run on OSX aren't that graphics intensive.
Thanks for the tip. I will probably not game to much in OS X. But I do however play Heroes of Newerth and want that to run smoothly. I will aim for two big displays and want to use at least one of them natively when gaming.

I may eventually dual boot - but it's not my initial plan. I want a fast price-worthy card because it's nice to don't have any bottlenecks and it's a bit more future proof. It must be better than my 9600M GT in my MBP - otherwise it's no idea to build it in the first place. :p

Jocelyn84 said:
In case you go with a 275, they have a decent deal on a BFG for $204 +$6 shipping (+Tax depending on where you live).

http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0309737

If you want a 4890 and know how to use Bing cashback, search for compusa, click on 12.5% cashback link and you'd get it for $175 after CB + FS

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... CatId=3669

If you're not familiar with Bing lemme know :)
Thanks for the tips - but I don't live in the US. I live in Sweden.

-----------

Is there any problem at all with getting my suggestions to run smoothly in Mac OS X 10.6.2? Is there any advantages depending on if I go with AMD or nVIDIA?

I have a Gigabyte with Nvidia 9500GT with 512 megs. Works great. I guess if you will be dual booting and doing some hard core gaming, that won't be what you are looking for but for $39 it can't be beat. I've run it with 2 monitors with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back