Contribute
Register

Best PCIe Ethernet NIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I got it,
is there is other 10/25/40GBase-T cards which also natively Mac supported?

ok I got it,
is there is other 10/25/40GBase-T cards which also natively Mac supported?

Natively supported? Not that I'm aware of.

I found this card Synology 10Gb Ethernet Adapter 1 RJ45 Port (E10G18-T1), is some kexts, patch etc... needed? Synology a bit expensive as Syba QC10710GB
I can't decide what to choose, many say's that it both works on latest Catalina, but not on Big Sur etc...
if you were now faced with a choice, what would you choose?

I found this card Synology 10Gb Ethernet Adapter 1 RJ45 Port (E10G18-T1), is some kexts, patch etc... needed? Synology a bit expensive as Syba QC10710GB
I can't decide what to choose, many say's that it both works on latest Catalina, but not on Big Sur etc...
if you were now faced with a choice, what would you choose?

All the AQC107 based cards require a patch to work in Big Sur.

If I had to choose, I would just go with the cheapest one.

I have an AQC107 based Syba card in one system and an AQC107 based Gigabyte card in another.

In Mojave and Catalina, the Syba card is natively supported. No additional drivers or patches needed.
In Big Sur Public Beta, a KextsToPatch is required to make the card work. No additional drivers needed.

My Gigabyte card was one of the earliest models and was a bit trickier to get working. It needs KextsToPatches for every version of macOS that I tested.

Both perform great and I get ~800MB/s reading from my NAS.
I ordered the exact same card you have @pastrychef because I’ve been having odd issues with my 211 & 219 randomly bouncing so that’s why I ordered this card hoping it would resolve that plus have faster speed. So I used one of my x16 pcie slots but I don’t have any link lights on the card and macOS Catalina 10.15.7 does not detect it. I have a z390 designare board if that helps. Am I missing something or could it just be a bad card?

Also, do I need to disable the other Ethernet ports on my board?

I went into my bios and found that both the 211 and 219 ports had wake on lan enabled so I disabled them thinking it might of been why the ports bouncing but now when I shut down the computer just restarts if my lan cable is plugged into the 211 or 219 ports. Also in bios it changes the wake on lan back to enabled even though I disable it every time. I know this has nothing to do with the original issue I asked but just thought I’d ask in case you or someone else have experienced this before..

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
I ordered the exact same card you have @pastrychef because I’ve been having odd issues with my 211 & 219 randomly bouncing so that’s why I ordered this card hoping it would resolve that plus have faster speed. So I used one of my x16 pcie slots but I don’t have any link lights on the card and macOS Catalina 10.15.7 does not detect it. I have a z390 designare board if that helps. Am I missing something or could it just be a bad card?

Also, do I need to disable the other Ethernet ports on my board?

I went into my bios and found that both the 211 and 219 ports had wake on lan enabled so I disabled them thinking it might of been why the ports bouncing but now when I shut down the computer just restarts if my lan cable is plugged into the 211 or 219 ports. Also in bios it changes the wake on lan back to enabled even though I disable it every time. I know this has nothing to do with the original issue I asked but just thought I’d ask in case you or someone else have experienced this before..

Thanks
Dan

In Catalina, it should work OOTB.

In Big Sur, a KextsToPatch is necessary.

Wake On LAN enabled has never been a problem for me.

In Catalina, it should work OOTB.

In Big Sur, a KextsToPatch is necessary.

Wake On LAN enabled has never been a problem for me.
Hmmm yeah that’s why I got it. Should I remove the IntelMausi.kext & the Realtree kext I have for the 211 & 219 or would that not make any difference?

Hmmm yeah that’s why I got it. Should I remove the IntelMausi.kext & the Realtree kext I have for the 211 & 219 or would that not make any difference?

Those two kexts should not cause any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back