Contribute
Register

Best Mountain Lion Wifi USB Stick, D-Link DWA-131, Really Cheap Price, Only 10 Bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This USB stick is a piece of crap, guys. The signal is so bad it's unusable. I cannot connect to the network in my office or at my house (can't on Windows either, not a driver issue), but my native wifi card picks it up at full speed.

I would not recommend this unless you are literally in the same room as your router, in which case you should just hardwire anyways.
anybody thinks the same as this guy?

I'm running OS X 10.6.8. and am using the DWA-131 B1.

Downloaded the driver (for the B1 version) suggested by the OP, plugged in the stick, opened the wireless network utility but I keep getting the prompt:

"Please enable the WLAN card in the Network item of System Preferences"

As far as I know the adapter works fine, as it says it's connected to my wifi network. I can't connect to the internet though - Network Preferences says No IP Address.

Any suggestions on what to do? My airport card failed so I'm permanently on Ethernet now and it's driving me crazy!

Any help much appreciated!

EDIT: Solved! Settings in TCP/IP were not on DHCP. Now they are and it works

It is true that on Hackintosh, most wireless cards will not be recognized as an Airport card. However, lucky for you someone named Bob Roche exists and he made this for you...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ERhsM9pFGI&list=PLsytF-hwKuw1Zi8uwA7HtdfN8yZ6PNLi5&index=2

This didn't work for me.

The card works just fine, but I can't connect to the App Store, etc.

I tried the procedure on the video but my computer doesn't boot after I mess with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file

Any other ideas?

My old ASUS wifi card was working fine with iCloud.

Thanks

Its been a while since I originally posted this thread and thought I would give it an update.

I have had this wifi stick for years now and it has worked great!

I just updated the other day to Yosemite, installed it yesterday and it is working great!

This works with Yosemite.

I think you typed it wrong, it should be "
RTL8191SU
"
See for yourself

DWA-131.png

BTW, works great 10.10 Yosemite..

This didn't seem to work for me, currently running OS X Mavericks.

The utility opens but it shows up as radio = off but if i want to turn it on it will freeze and after some time it will restart the system.

Its been a while since I originally posted this thread and thought I would give it an update.

I have had this wifi stick for years now and it has worked great!

I just updated the other day to Yosemite, installed it yesterday and it is working great!

This works with Yosemite.

Any word on El Capitan support? I need a USB-WiFi solution for my 2 Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 systems.

Download LaunchControl
Disable Wlan.Software in Global Agents

Create a shell script, for example: /Library/LaunchAgents/StartNWU.sh
with following 2 lines:

#!/bin/sh
sudo /Library/Application\ Support/WLAN/StatusBarApp.app/Contents/MacOS/StatusBarApp

In LaunchControl create a new Global Agent, for example: Network.Utility
As "Program to run" enter the name of your shell script: /Library/LaunchAgents/StartNWU.sh

To /etc/sudoers add:
<login> = (root) NOPASSWD: /Library/Application\ Support/WLAN/StatusBarApp.app/Contents/MacOS/StatusBarApp

The last is untested cause I use NOPASSWD globally for my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back