Contribute
Register

best motherboard for USB2/3.0 compatibility and Thunderbolt support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690 Creator
CPU
i7-13700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm asking an advice for a new motherboard for a ML OSX build ...

which I really need is:

• perfect working of both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. I have many HDs to connect ... I cannot risk anything there!
  • perfect wakeup/sleep process including auto-sleep ... it must works like charm! I need to access it from remote.
  • Thunderbolt support would be nice, even if it's not hot-swappable.
  • Sandy and Ivy Bridge support, of course.
  • It's likely that I'll use HD3000/HD4000 graphics, not going for another GPU.
  • I need the build to be rock stable.
  • Price of the mobo is not a problem at this stage.

and all of those with the least effort in terms of configurations, modified kexts and so forth. The best vanilla (or almost) solution available.

Thanks to all ! :)

Ciao for now :wave:

perfect working of both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. I have many HDs to connect ... I cannot risk anything there!
My B75M is working fine with USB2 drive on USB2 port and USB3 drive on USB3 port.
Some other boards seems to have the USB2 working on USB3 port

Here from The_Gael http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/77695-usb-3-not-working-3.html#post494861
He's using Z77X-UD5H
(Don't know for the sleep, though.)

• perfect wakeup/sleep process including auto-sleep ... it must works like charm! I need to access it from remote.
So, it means you need to be able to wake up on LAN?

My B75M is working fine with USB2 drive on USB2 port and USB3 drive on USB3 port.
Some other boards seems to have the USB2 working on USB3 port

Here from The_Gael http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/77695-usb-3-not-working-3.html#post494861
He's using Z77X-UD5H
(Don't know for the sleep, though.)

So, it means you need to be able to wake up on LAN?

yes, I would.

so in your mobo if you put an USB3 stick on a USB2 port, it doesn't work, does it?

and what about the sleep/auto-sleep?

USB3 stick on USB2 port, it's working at USB2 speed.

Manual sleep is working, and manual wake up (hit a key)

Auto sleep is not working on my rig.

Hi all,

I'm asking an advice for a new motherboard for a ML OSX build ...

which I really need is:

• perfect working of both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. I have many HDs to connect ... I cannot risk anything there!
  • Thunderbolt support would be nice, even if it's not hot-swappable.
  • Sandy and Ivy Bridge support, of course.
  • It's likely that I'll use HD3000/HD4000 graphics, not going for another GPU.
  • I need the build to be rock stable.
  • Price of the mobo is not a problem at this stage.

and all of those with the least effort in terms of configurations, modified kexts and so forth. The best vanilla (or almost) solution available.

Thanks to all ! :)

Ciao for now :wave:

If you CAN'T risk anything then I would suggest you load Windows or you buy an actual Mac.

If you CAN'T risk anything then I would suggest you load Windows or you buy an actual Mac.

Why don't you tell me if your rig is 100% working? This would be more useful ...

your mobo is one with the best reputation for an hackintosh ...

Why don't you tell me if your rig is 100% working? This would be more useful ...

your mobo is one with the best reputation for an hackintosh ...

Considering there are DOZENS of topics already pertaining to this post as well as lots of builds some of which are gold and that its also a board recommended by Tonymac himself...

Considering there are DOZENS of topics already pertaining to this post as well as lots of builds some of which are gold and that its also a board recommended by Tonymac himself...

yeah the problem is exactly there ... there are DOZENS of topics ... and you're not of any help!

yeah the problem is exactly there ... there are DOZENS of topics

And that is what the advanced search engine is for. Please read the FAQ - http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php
Please use the search function before creating a topic. The question that you ask may have already been answered.

There is no such thing as perfect USB2 or perfect USB3. It isn't there on an Apple Mac and it won't be there on a PC parts Mac.
You do your research and you find what works best and you go wth it. Many times you have hings working great and an update causes all kinds of problems. That is a fact of like in working with a PC Mac. Deal with it.

While I have the the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, and am very satisfied with it, I agree with Einsteiniac that your requirements describe an actual Mac or a quality Windows machine.

Setting up my machine was really easy thanks to the threads you called unhelpful. I spent weeks reading the threads and crafting my hardware list. Because of the threads, I knew which problems I was likely to encounter and how to fix almost all of them. I had also decided which problems with my setup I could live with -like no wake from Bluetooth.

The fact of the matter is, a Hackintosh is gonna have problems from time-to-time, but the members of those unhelpful threads pool their knowledge and generally come up with solutions quickly. That's not always the case though, you might encounter a problem that takes a long time to solve or doesn't have a solution at all, and you have to be willing to live with the problem.

If that process is unappealing and you find this community unhelpful, a Hack probably isn't a good fit for your needs. Believe me, I understand. I spent months reading the threads before I decided a Hack wasn't too risky to try. Along the way, I decided on several occasions that it sounded like too much bother. In fact if Apple had released a serious update to the Mac Pros this summer or fall, I would have bought one of those instead. While I waited for release info from Apple though, I read the threads here and eventually learned enough about the process and available hardware to make it work. It was a real toss-up for a long time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back