Contribute
Register

Best Method (bootloader) to Install Win8/Yosemite Dual Boot on fresh built Rig w Buyer's Guide Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 960
I’m building a new rig. I chose most of my parts from the CustoMac Buyer’s Guide for maximum compatibility. I’m going to install Windows 8.1 on one HDD and OSX Yosemite on the other HDD. I will be booting into Windows by default as it is the OS I use most of the time. What is the best way to do this (referring mainly to which bootloader to use)?

Here is my parts list:
GA-Z97X-UD5H
I7-4790K + Cooler Master 212 Evo
WD Black 2TB HDD (for Windows)
WD Black 1TB HDD (for OSX)
EVGA GTX 960 SuperSC
Crusial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB)
AX760 Power Supply
Corsair 500R Case
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wifi

I’ve pored over “Guide Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8”, “How to install OS X Yosemite using Clover”, “UniBeast: Install OS X Yosemite…”, “The always up to date guide…” and many many others.

The more I read the more I feel like I don’t know. This is the impression I get of each bootloader:

*Chimera (via unibeast): The easiest method with the most online help available since it is by far the most common option. Does NOT enable all EFI features in OSX even if mobo is dual bios-uefi. Requires windows be installed in legacy BIOS mode which eliminates new windows EFI features. Has issues with Imessage. Updating OSX requires reapplying patches (but I don’t know how much this affects me since my parts should, mostly, be natively compatible).

*Clover: Very complicated to install and not recommended for first time hackinstosh builders. Fully UEFI compatible for both OSX and Windows. No issues with Imessage. Can update OSX pretty much without issue. But still not too commonly used, difficult to debug and find help resources.

Am I better off going with Chimera (via Unibeast), or Clover…or going with Unibeast for the install and then installing Clover in UEFI mode so I can have the best of both?

Thank you in advanced!

I’m building a new rig. I chose most of my parts from the CustoMac Buyer’s Guide for maximum compatibility. I’m going to install Windows 8.1 on one HDD and OSX Yosemite on the other HDD. I will be booting into Windows by default as it is the OS I use most of the time. What is the best way to do this (referring mainly to which bootloader to use)?

Here is my parts list:
GA-Z97X-UD5H
I7-4790K + Cooler Master 212 Evo
WD Black 2TB HDD (for Windows)
WD Black 1TB HDD (for OSX)
EVGA GTX 960 SuperSC
Crusial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB)
AX760 Power Supply
Corsair 500R Case
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wifi

I’ve pored over “Guide Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8”, “How to install OS X Yosemite using Clover”, “UniBeast: Install OS X Yosemite…”, “The always up to date guide…” and many many others.

The more I read the more I feel like I don’t know. This is the impression I get of each bootloader:

*Chimera (via unibeast): The easiest method with the most online help available since it is by far the most common option. Does NOT enable all EFI features in OSX even if mobo is dual bios-uefi. Requires windows be installed in legacy BIOS mode which eliminates new windows EFI features. Has issues with Imessage. Updating OSX requires reapplying patches (but I don’t know how much this affects me since my parts should, mostly, be natively compatible).

*Clover: Very complicated to install and not recommended for first time hackinstosh builders. Fully UEFI compatible for both OSX and Windows. No issues with Imessage. Can update OSX pretty much without issue. But still not too commonly used, difficult to debug and find help resources.

Am I better off going with Chimera (via Unibeast), or Clover…or going with Unibeast for the install and then installing Clover in UEFI mode so I can have the best of both?

Thank you in advanced!
For the newer boards with UEFI it is better to use the UEFI rather than force legacy BIOS booting - something that will probably be impossible with the next generation of mainboards as manufacturers drop support for legacy systems.
So, install UEFI all the way and use Clover as your boot loader. If you use the Standard config.plist at the end of the guide you should be able to boot your system. Then you can use Clover Configurator to tweak your settings to get iMessage, etc. to work.
Basic steps:
1. No matter if you install Windows or OS X first, boot to UEFI and change settings as needed to install OS X - Windows does not like changes once it is installed so make sure the UEFI is set for OS X to begin with before installing Windows.
2. connect a SSD/HDD. Boot install media for an OS and install.
3. shut down and disconnect the SSD/HDD.
4. connect a SSD/HDD for the other OS. Boot install media and install.
5. shut down and reconnect the first SSD/HDD
6. boot to UEFI and set the OS X SSD/HDD as first in BBS boot order

Whether you create a UniBeast USB installer or a Clover USB installer does not matter - either one works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back