Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I have a Nvidia 750Ti, which was running just fine, but no longer has driver support from Nvidia. That’s also one of the reasons why I couldn’t install Catalina and was stuck in an older version of macOS.

Now I am thinking in replacing my GPU with an AMD which is compatible and doesn’t bother me every time I want to update the OS.

The issue with my build is that (apart from being quite old) it is a SFF (Small Form Factor) case, which only admits low profile (LP) graphics cards.

That’s why I need a card that is:
1. AMD
2. Low Profile
3. Has HDMI output
4. Cheap or best performance/value

I am waiting for your answers / comments!
Thank you in advance :)

I am not a 100% sure but I think this one will work for you as far as size, the specs says it fits ITX case. It does however, meet all your other requirements. AMD, HDMI output, Cheap and reasonable performance.

There is a hack installer for Nvidia maybe your card can work with this hack check the link below.

it is a SFF (Small Form Factor) case, which only admits low profile (LP) graphics cards.
I am not a 100% sure but I think this one will work for you as far as size, the specs says it fits ITX case.
Those are full height RX 570s so the length is OK but the height is the main problem.

Those are full height RX 570s so the length is OK but the height is the main problem.

I see when I did a search for low profile it gave that that one : / and the back plate looked a bit smaller so I thought it might work, guess I am wrong.

I am waiting for your answers / comments!
The AMD RX560 LP by MSI is perfect except for one thing..... over-inflated prices. I've seen them selling for over $300 some places. I would wait a while for AMD/MSI to release the 5300 in a LP version. When that will happen is anyone's guess but it will cost a lot less and perform better than any 300 dollar plus RX 560.

The AMD RX560 LP by MSI is perfect except for one thing..... over-inflated prices. I've seen them selling for over $300 some places. I would wait a while for AMD/MSI to release the 5300 in a LP version. When that will happen is anyone's guess but it will cost a lot less and perform better than any 300 dollar plus RX 560.
Thanks to both Scott and trs96!
I will follow your advice and at first will look for a reasonably-priced RX560 LP; if it gets impossible to find we’ll hope that they release the 5300 LP (whenever that happens...)

EDIT: I just found a MSI AMD Radeon RX 550 4GT Low Profile OC 4GB GDDR5 for 101€ / $109... I’m afraid that its performance is way too low for mainstream gaming, but anyway my main goal is to get maximum compatibility, even OOB if possible.

Last edited:
I just found a MSI AMD Radeon RX 550 4GT Low Profile OC 4GB GDDR5 for 101€
I don't think that 550 is supported by macOS. Here's why:

Screen Shot 3.jpg

It's got the Lexa GPU and 512 cores. You need to have the Polaris 21 GPU with 1024 cores for it to work with macOS.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s an option it’s a bit pricey compared to their $99 560s but it fills a nitch. It comes with a full size mount plate if needed, 2 mini DP to HDMI cable adapters, and 2 mini DP to DVI adapters.
It’s the only real single slot RX 560.
D26A0787-19FB-43BA-AF35-178EB1894BFF.jpeg
89A6CF99-C852-4AC1-9EC8-D1AE496B412B.png
B8ADDA9E-0235-49F9-992B-BEC9C02A07BD.png

Here’s one on Amazon.
3FAA2386-CF58-4C8D-965A-ABAF5E6F117D.jpeg

Last edited:
The R9 Nano works in Catalina. Not really Low Profile, but Mini-ITX short! Shows up as Fury X 4Gb, benching it now. I have 3 of them (one I got for as low as $80 on eBay).
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 8.17.04 PM.png

My benchmarks are bottlenecked by the Intel DH61DL motherboard only having a 1x PCIE slot, so this card is on a mining riser.

R9 Nano AboutThisMac.png

R9 Nano SysInfo.png

R9 Nano GB5 Metal.png

R9 Nano Heaven.png

R9 Nano Valley.png

This card draws a good 300W under pressure, so make sure your PSU is properly rated.

Last edited:
Here’s an option it’s a bit pricey compared to their $99 560s but it fills a nitch. It comes with a full size mount plate if needed, 2 mini DP to HDMI cable adapters, and 2 mini DP to DVI adapters.
It’s the only real single slot RX 560.
View attachment 451422View attachment 451423View attachment 451424
Here’s one on Amazon.
View attachment 451425
The R9 Nano works in Catalina. Not really Low Profile, but Mini-ITX short! Shows up as Fury X 4Gb, benching it now. I have 3 of them (one I got for as low as $80 on eBay).
View attachment 451426
My benchmarks are bottlenecked by the Intel DH61DL motherboard only having a 1x PCIE slot, so this card is on a mining riser.

View attachment 451429
View attachment 451428
View attachment 451430
View attachment 451431
View attachment 451432

This card draws a good 300W under pressure, so make sure your PSU is properly rated.

Thanks Gigamaxx!
This looks like a very reasonable option... A bit more expensive, true, but there doesn’t seem to be many other brands which meet the needs for my config

Thank you too Phunguss, but I’m afraid this one won’t fit in my SFF case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back