Contribute
Register

Best LAN Copy Method between Hackintoshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Would like to transfer some apps and docs from one Hackintosh ("Mini-ITX 1" below) to another ("Mini-ITX 2" below). The computers are connected via a fast Ethernet switch (both on LAN ports). Mini-ITX 1 is running High Sierra under the HFS+ file system, and Mini-ITX 2 is running Monterey under its APFS file system. Is there a conflict here? Will the Migration Assistant method work as described by Apple, or do I need to use Carbon Copy Cloner, or transfer through a third hard disk such as WD Elements? If I can use the Ethernet connection, what is the proper setup?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I have always treated these computers as completely separate and have never tried using them together.

Last edited:
Would like to transfer some apps and docs from one Hackintosh ("Mini-ITX 1" below) to another ("Mini-ITX 2" below). The computers are connected via a fast Ethernet switch (both on LAN ports). Mini-ITX 1 is running High Sierra under the HFS+ file system, and Mini-ITX 2 is running Monterey under its APFS file system. Is there a conflict here? Will the Migration Assistant method work as described by Apple, or do I need to use Carbon Copy Clone, or transfer through a third hard disk such as WD Elements? If I can use the Ethernet connection, what is the proper setup?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I have always treated these computers as completely separate and have never tried using them together.

Migration Assistant should work fine.

If you want to use an external drive, that should work too. Just do a Time Machine backup of Mini-ITX 1 and then plug it in to Mini-ITX 2 during the Monterey installation.

Thank you, pastrychef. I don't use Time Machine, instead two identical SSDs in each computer, backups made manually via CCC. I'll give Migration Assistant a try first.

Thank you, pastrychef. I don't use Time Machine, instead two identical SSDs in each computer, backups made manually via CCC. I'll give Migration Assistant a try first.

You should be able to connect the clone drive via USB to Mini-ITX 2 and use Migration Assistant from that too.

Migration Assistant is quite flexible.

Migration Assistant has now been "checking" the source computer (Mini-ITX 1) for about an hour. Is this normal? I have a display of the source computer icon on the Migration Assistant screen of the destination computer (Mini-ITX 2), with the little "rotating gear" symbol next to the "checking" text, and the source computer's activity light is occasionally flashing as if its SSD is being read. But of course there is no progress bar to show how things are going. I would say there's about 76 GB on each of the two SSDs on the source, but the SSDs are 1 TB each. Does the "checking" operation check all the unused space as well as the used space?

(Connection between computers is by the LAN fast Ethernet switch.)

Hours normal
Days not normal
Progress bar gives no clue, wait it out

Migration Assistant has now been "checking" the source computer (Mini-ITX 1) for about an hour. Is this normal? I have a display of the source computer icon on the Migration Assistant screen of the destination computer (Mini-ITX 2), with the little "rotating gear" symbol next to the "checking" text, and the source computer's activity light is occasionally flashing as if its SSD is being read. But of course there is no progress bar to show how things are going. I would say there's about 76 GB on each of the two SSDs on the source, but the SSDs are 1 TB each. Does the "checking" operation check all the unused space as well as the used space?

(Connection between computers is by the LAN fast Ethernet switch.)

I would try pulling the clone drive and connecting it to Mini-ITX 2 via USB and try that.

Repeated Migration Assistant using Ethernet, and this time it worked fine. Probably screwed something up the first time... sorry for wasting your time. The interaction between the two Migration Assistant apps (one on destination and one on source) was confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back