Contribute
Register

best graphics cards for 150 bucks?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
Ugh...

Ok, first of all, if you're getting a 6870, make sure you get a five port card and non one from XFX, as the four port and XFX cards don't work OOB for some reason.

What's your hardware? As it comes down to that as to what PSU you need for that graphics card. It also depends on how good the PSU is in the first place, as some PSUs don't deliver 400W and as such the graphics card makers make sure they have a bit of a safety margin.
o_O
I, as many other users on this forum,have a XFX 6870 GPU that ALWAYS worked w/o any problem,since 10.7.0 and with every update...no tweaks or other stuff...Plus,the dual-fan version from XFX=cool&quiet..

thelostswede said:
Ugh...

Ok, first of all, if you're getting a 6870, make sure you get a five port card and non one from XFX, as the four port and XFX cards don't work OOB for some reason.

What's your hardware? As it comes down to that as to what PSU you need for that graphics card. It also depends on how good the PSU is in the first place, as some PSUs don't deliver 400W and as such the graphics card makers make sure they have a bit of a safety margin.

I have an XFX Radeon HD 6870 Dual Fan (ZDFC) and it works like a charm ... it's a five port though. :thumbup:

Seriously, if you're this paranoid, don't bother.
And clearly you're totally and utterly inept at doing your own research.
We're not babysitters, we're here to give general advice.
Use the forum search, it's there for a reason.

thelostswede said:
Seriously, if you're this paranoid, don't bother.
And clearly you're totally and utterly inept at doing your own research.
We're not babysitters, we're here to give general advice.
Use the forum search, it's there for a reason.

+1

If you're having trouble (OP, not the post above, obviously) figuring out what 900 Mhz means-- and need to ask soooo many questions-- I don't think Hackintosh is right for you.

Picking out a gpu is easy. Tinkering/problem solving your build post install, or in the event of a troublesome update/issue.... is a world apart from this.

Maybe this isn't for you.

That's a 4 port card. Please for the love of God, pay attention.

Yes that one will work OOB.

If you want 0 headaches and to save a bunch of money go with an EVGA GT430 model. I splurged and went with an Asus 6850 which is an absolute beast for 150 bucks. I had to do one slight edit to make the HDMI port work but couldn't be happier. NVidia chipsets however seem to be easier to configure than the Radeon chipset.

Hey first post here so don't hate

I have the xfx 6870 here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

And I can tell you that it worked oob for me i know that you don't want to waste money on something that won't work but I am using this card and a 750watt power (probably not needed) hope this helped.

Numerous people have this version of card and if you have any problems their are hundreds of helpful threads out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back