Contribute
Register

Best graphics card for Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking compatibility in order of start buying the components of my "Build 2" (with intel 630 iGPU). I've seen that here [NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS says that my motherboard and CPU work changing the CPU ID.

I am not an expert but know how to do some things. Are this modifications "easy" to do or should I wait until they are both supported OOB (do you think they will be supported OOOB)?

These are good questions. Let me answer simply and quickly.
Spoofs modifications and workarounds are becoming more commonplace when installing macOS on PC hardware so it does no harm in spending some time learning some of what is required today as it gives you a confidence boost once you have worked through a few patches and modifications. Don't make the (easy) mistake of *thinking* that some of these steps are really very complex and above you - allow your self some time without other distractions and follow each step crossing off on a list (if required) each step once completed.
Apple and Intel have had a changeable release date for new hardware in the last 2-3 years. Generally new Apple hardware hits the streets with a factory only version of macOS to support the hardware of the new device and approx six weeks later the next incremental macOS release becomes available for public download to support the new hardware. The next question is when will Apple have the new hardware ready for public release - will that be two weeks or two months - that depends on any number of supplier/manufacturer timings and it is not something that is easy to predict accurately.

I also wanted to know if you know how to make a windows keyboard work on mac. I have a Logitech solar keyboard and works pretty good but I do not get the F line working (F1, F2, F3...) with the same characteristics as my MacBook Pro (F1=low screen light, F4=Launchpad). Do you know if there is any fix?

Many people have the same problem and if you have several Apple keyboards and Apple devices (including MacBook Pro 2011ish) then there are differences between them also. Do a google search for macOS keyboard remapping to see if you are able to come up with something suitable.

These are good questions. Let me answer simply and quickly.
Spoofs modifications and workarounds are becoming more commonplace when installing macOS on PC hardware so it does no harm in spending some time learning some of what is required today as it gives you a confidence boost once you have worked through a few patches and modifications. Don't make the (easy) mistake of *thinking* that some of these steps are really very complex and above you - allow your self some time without other distractions and follow each step crossing off on a list (if required) each step once completed.
Apple and Intel have had a changeable release date for new hardware in the last 2-3 years. Generally new Apple hardware hits the streets with a factory only version of macOS to support the hardware of the new device and approx six weeks later the next incremental macOS release becomes available for public download to support the new hardware. The next question is when will Apple have the new hardware ready for public release - will that be two weeks or two months - that depends on any number of supplier/manufacturer timings and it is not something that is easy to predict accurately.

I've been since 10.7 trying to instal Hackintosh on my computer (with the AMD GPU 6950) so I've tried nearly everything. I know some things are complex but there are also very good guides on how to do it so there is really no problem.

As far as I can understand, making the modifications on the post I mentioned above are not easy but there are very good tutorials on how to do them and if I follow each of the steps it will work.

Many people have the same problem and if you have several Apple keyboards and Apple devices (including MacBook Pro 2011ish) then there are differences between them also. Do a google search for macOS keyboard remapping to see if you are able to come up with something suitable.
I did't know about this program, I'll search more on it and hopefully will make the keyboard work pretty good.

@Adrian B Do you know if 10.12.3 has native support for Kaby Lake? I've seen on this thread that at least Pascal GPU's are not supported yet. macOS 10.12.3 Update

No it is too soon to see publicly released (or development released) Kaby Lake support in macOS - I would think that we are probably going to need to wait about 2-3 months to see any real improvement. It is likely that we will see 10.12.4 publicly released in about 6 weeks time - that is probably the absolutely earliest point that any Kaby Lake support will be seen. If we see Kaby Lake support in macOS just before Easter 2017 then I would consider that to be good news. Lets just hope that Apple get to release new models soon. Keep your finger crossed and keep up to date on the Kaby Lake early adopters thread. The new 1220 audio codec is being worked on right now to develop a macOS solution

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts based on how Apple have done things in the past. If Apple do not release new mac computers using Kaby Lake in February/March then Kaby Lake support probably will not arrive in early April. Look at the approx dates on the 6 week macOS incremental update release cycle. If new models fall between those dates then at least some Kaby Lake support must be in the following incremental update.

No it is too soon to see publicly released (or development released) Kaby Lake support in macOS - I would think that we are probably going to need to wait about 2-3 months to see any real improvement. It is likely that we will see 10.12.4 publicly released in about 6 weeks time - that is probably the absolutely earliest point that any Kaby Lake support will be seen. If we see Kaby Lake support in macOS just before Easter 2017 then I would consider that to be good news. Lets just hope that Apple get to release new models soon. Keep your finger crossed and keep up to date on the Kaby Lake early adopters thread. The new 1220 audio codec is being worked on right now to develop a macOS solution

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts based on how Apple have done things in the past. If Apple do not release new mac computers using Kaby Lake in February/March then Kaby Lake support probably will not arrive in early April. Look at the approx dates on the 6 week macOS incremental update release cycle. If new models fall between those dates then at least some Kaby Lake support must be in the following incremental update.
I found on an old stand a NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT. Is compatible with Hackintosh? I will be using it untill I can get some money to buy one GTX 760 or GTX 950.

It is worth a try - I was suggesting that people should try this on the 1070/1080 thread some time ago. UEFI/BIOS options are different between different motherboards.
I use a 980 and it works in Windows and macOS without issue - it is also has the same graphical power as the 1060 card without any of the headaches that go with dual booting. :thumbup:

Buy a card on its compatibility and performance. I still have an old GTX 670 from 2013 in another build - that has similar performance to a GTX 960 or the unsupported GTX1050Ti, but it is actually pretty reasonable for 1080P gaming. Don't write off a card just because it is not 'new'.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

I think that people have the Intel 630 graphics running - do some more reading this thread is getting quite big - lots of people testing!
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/
Just to not mess it uo. I'm going to buy today some components to my hackintosh please verify that will work OOB, I've gighlited the parts I'm going to buy:

Build 1:
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
CPU: i7 870
Graphics card: GTX 760* (Gigabyte)

Build 2**:
Motherboard: GA-270X Gaming 5
CPU: i7 7700K
Graphics card: GTX 980 TI or gtx 1080***
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 (16GB 2x8)

PCU: Corsair GS850W

* I've seen some vendors as Asus that give an awesome price, but best choice is Gigabyte, right? Will it get the same support as GTX 950? The difference between both are 20€.

** I'll use this tutorial ([NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS) to make my CPU and Motherboard work but I will need some advice and help.

*** I'll start with iGPU and when I have enough money buy a 980TI or Pascal if support has arrived then.

Just to not mess it uo. I'm going to buy today some components to my hackintosh please verify that will work OOB, I've gighlited the parts I'm going to buy:

Build 1:
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
CPU: i7 870
Graphics card: GTX 760* (Gigabyte)

The original GTX 760 Buyers Guide included ASUS, EVGA, MSI, PNY and ZOTAC cards with buying links:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-august-2013.106788/#gfx_cards

The GTX 760 has full driver support in macOS - this started back in Lion/Mountain Lion. Support is still provided by APPLE. The GTX 950 does require additional nvidia drivers and it will work in Yosemite/El Capitan and Sierra.

The GTX 950 is a little newer, uses a bit less power, is a little bit smaller than a GTX 760.
The GTX 760 was a more expensive card when new - generally was made of heavier materials and does not require any additional driver support to function in macOS. We do not know what nvidia support may be like going forward as nvidia has not released drivers for the latest 1000 series hardware. What happens after Sierra - what cards will have support? Worth considering a card that does not rely on nvidia support.

Build 2**:
Motherboard: GA-270X Gaming 5
CPU: i7 7700K
Graphics card: GTX 980 TI or gtx 1080***
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 (16GB 2x8)

PSU: Corsair GS850W

GA-270X Gaming 5? Typo, I am not able to find this model.
I7-7700K should be fine
GTX 980 Ti definitely works really well - it is still one of the top performing cards available to buy even for windows. It is a great performer. GTX 1080 has raised the bar but few are able to utilise the cards full potential.
RAM is board dependent - check the Gigabyte web pages for the board as it will list specific RAM model numbers that have been tested with this hardware. For video editing consider 32GB as 16GB is a bit on the low side.
Corsair GS850W - I am not able to find this power supply- is it CX850M?
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/gs-series-gs600-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply-2013-edition

* I've seen some vendors as Asus that give an awesome price, but best choice is Gigabyte, right? Will it get the same support as GTX 950? The difference between both are 20€.

** I'll use this tutorial ([NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS) to make my CPU and Motherboard work but I will need some advice and help.

*** I'll start with iGPU and when I have enough money buy a 980TI or Pascal if support has arrived then.

The original GTX 760 Buyers Guide included ASUS, EVGA, MSI, PNY and ZOTAC cards with buying links:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-august-2013.106788/#gfx_cards

The GTX 760 has full driver support in macOS - this started back in Lion/Mountain Lion. Support is still provided by APPLE. The GTX 950 does require additional nvidia drivers and it will work in Yosemite/El Capitan and Sierra.

The GTX 950 is a little newer, uses a bit less power, is a little bit smaller than a GTX 760.
The GTX 760 was a more expensive card when new - generally was made of heavier materials and does not require any additional driver support to function in macOS. We do not know what nvidia support may be like going forward as nvidia has not released drivers for the latest 1000 series hardware. What happens after Sierra - what cards will have support? Worth considering a card that does not rely on nvidia support.
I'll go then for a GTX 760 for this build and buy it from that page. I've seen that only Gigabyte and MSI links are working for this card.

GA-270X Gaming 5? Typo, I am not able to find this model.
I7-7700K should be fine
GTX 980 Ti definitely works really well - it is still one of the top performing cards available to buy even for windows. It is a great performer. GTX 1080 has raised the bar but few are able to utilise the cards full potential.
RAM is board dependent - check the Gigabyte web pages for the board as it will list specific RAM model numbers that have been tested with this hardware. For video editing consider 32GB as 16GB is a bit on the low side.
Corsair GS850W - I am not able to find this power supply- is it CX850M?
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/gs-series-gs600-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply-2013-edition

It's a GIGABYTE Z270X GAMING 5 I think I wrote it without the Z... Anyway here is the link: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6072#kf
I've double checked the PSU and it's a Corsair GS800 (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back