Contribute
Register

Best graphic card (compatible or soon compatible) for FCPX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easy dual-boot and keyboard part. I'm going to buy a Logitech K810 (Mac edition) keyboard and I want it to work perfectly when I'm using Windows 8 ;) I thought Bootcamp was a dual-boot wizard setup, it isn't? Am I going to use another tool to dual-boot? (MultiBeast I think can do that, right?). Some people say that dual-booting on the same SSD with partitions is a bad idea.. Why? By the way, my motherboard will be the Gigabyte H87M-HD3 :3

I would reccomend the Moshi Luna backlit keyboard.. in addition to being the most mac-like (can be found on the Apple Store and the command key looks like a hybrid mac/windows key), it is backlit, which works great with dimly-lit environments. . It's also flat-out beautiful.

I've used it with two dual-boot builds and everybody loves it.

Hey,

I'm building my first HackPro and been reading many topics for GPU AMD vs Nvidia for FCPX. I came to a conclusion that AMD is the way to go for FCPX performance. Can you please recommend me the best compatible AMD GPU's for FCPX 10.1 & DaVinci Resolve. ($300-$400 Price range)

My other parts are: i7-4770K and Gigabyte GA_Z87TX_UD5 TH.
Is Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 compatible with the CPU and motherboard I have?

Thank you!

You wouldn't want to use a FirePro for gaming. If you have to game on
the same machine the best choice would be the R9 280X. You could put
a third party cooler on it that is quieter. There are also models by
Sapphire and others that use non-reference coolers. (the noisy ones are reference)

It should also perform fairly well
as a single GPU for FCP X. Here's the OpenCL Luxmark 2.0 scores:

From www.tomshardware.com

View attachment 79760 Click on graphic to enlarge

It is a bad idea to install OSX and Windows on the same drive because of the bootstrap, software that loads and initializes the kernel. If the system can't find it, no booting. The setup process of one operating system can interfere with the other operating system. The hackintosh process reacquires a mixing of the new way, and old way. Add to that Windows installs differently for EFI versus bios, the difference between AHCI and IDE, there are just so many easy ways to make a mistake and cause a problem.

Oh that sounds great! What operating system do u use it on? Installed it with clover or any other? Did u have to type in codes, kernels etc.? Also lastly, Have u used it with any of AE, PPro, FCPX ??

10.9.3, W8.1, Ubuntu

Using clover, still working on the multi boot on the same drive. Everything is fine except sleep, but I think this is because i need to compile a SSDT for the motherboard.

No kext edits needed. Works out of the box.

They're OpenCL compatible, so it works with FCPX, etc.

Luxmark benchmark attached.

One warning though, the PCB for this 280x is not reference, so no full size water blocks :cry:

Attachments

• benchmark.tiff
    49.1 KB · Views: 228
Hey Guys,

So I'm building my first Hackintosh and still struggling majorly after trawling forums for days to find the best value graphics card with easy compability for FCPX.

I was gonna go ahead using this card for easy compatibility and just want it to work as its recommended on the buyers guide:

[h=1]Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 Graphics Card 4096 MB[/h]
After a lot of reading though the AMDs seem to be the better cards for FCPX notably the:

R9 280x

What would you recommend I go for? Im worried about compatibility/easy installation. Will the R9 280x work ok despite not being in the buyers guide?

This is my planned set-up:

-Crucial Ballistix BLS4C8G3D18ADS3BEU Sport XT 32GB (8GBx 4) 240 Pin DDR3 PC3-14900 Memory Module Kit
-Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
-Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
[COLOR=#1122CC !important]-Fractal Design Define Mini Series Micro ATX Case - Black Pearl [/COLOR]
-GMYLE (TM) Micro USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode w/ Low Energy Technology Wireless Adapter (Broadcom BCM20702 chipset)
-TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapt
-
Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H Motherboard - Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W,
- Corsair CP-9020076-UK Builder Series 550W CS550M ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit

Thanks for all your help.

10.9.3, W8.1, Ubuntu

Using clover, still working on the multi boot on the same drive. Everything is fine except sleep, but I think this is because i need to compile a SSDT for the motherboard.

No kext edits needed. Works out of the box.

They're OpenCL compatible, so it works with FCPX, etc.

Luxmark benchmark attached.

One warning though, the PCB for this 280x is not reference, so no full size water blocks :cry:

What do you mean when you say "No Full Size Water Blocks"? Sorry if I'm not down with the lingo. Also, you say the 280x works right out of the box, but what does that mean exactly? Because I have some NVIDIA 780 cards that work out of the box - they boot right up, all ports work, no special treatment for anything - are the 280x cards the same?

Hi!
Can you test you Graphic Card MSI 280x 6GB
http://www.fcp.co/forum/hardware/18250-brucex-try-this-new-final-cut-pro-x-benchmark

I want buy 280x and want compare 3GB version and 6GB.
3BG version - 34sec
6GB version - ??? please test you system=))

- - - Updated - - -

Hi!
Can you test you Graphic Card MSI 280x 6GB
http://www.fcp.co/forum/hardware/18250-brucex-try-this-new-final-cut-pro-x-benchmark

I want buy 280x and want compare 3GB version and 6GB.
3BG version - 34sec
6GB version - ??? please test you system=))

6GB won't improve the score but the GPU clocks will. I have dual MSI 280x with overclocked 4790K @ 4.7GHz and BruceX is about 15 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back