Gigabyte H470M-DS3H
CPU
i9-10900
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi guys!

Recently I've decided to replace my old GPU with a new one, and considering the recent achievement of WhateverGreen.kext, I still can't choose between buying a GTX 1060 or a RX 580. I will be using it mostly for video editing with Adobe Premiere and After Effects, at the moment I don't work with Final Cut.

I've seen a couple of benchmarks posted in this forum, that indicate that AMD currently performs better than NVIDIA in macOS, and apparently that's because the Pascal web drivers that are available today are not taking full advantage of the card's power.
So, which is better? I suppose in the end it's a discussion between CUDA vs Metal, isn't it?

Any news on this? Thinking of making a shift from the 1070 to the RX580.

well from people I know that work professionally in animation / 3D, they actually dont use Macs but Windows machines..it also depends how many displays you use, additional cards etc..

well from people I know that work professionally in animation / 3D, they actually dont use Macs but Windows machines..it also depends how many displays you use, additional cards etc..
i just use fcpx mainly for 4k drone video editing. only have one display and a gtx 1070. this is why i am wondering whether the rx580 will give significant performance increase.

Well,this assumes though that you are running from Windows... Would have to consider that they are running off High Sierra...
Hi kavlos, thanks for your interest in this thread. I still haven't bought any GPU, I'm waiting for further development of Vega's native macOS drivers. When they fully take advantage of those cards, I have no doubt that Apple AMD drivers will kick NVIDIA's web drivers butt.

Even now, old AMD cards outperform NVIDIA Pascal ones, at least regarding video editing software. I've attached a couple of benchmarks that were made using Premiere and FCX in macOS, as seen on this video:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 19.54.21.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 19.54.21.png
    660.6 KB · Views: 1,854
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 19.53.28.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 19.53.28.png
    684.9 KB · Views: 1,822
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back