Contribute
Register

Best GPU for Hackintosh used for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last question from me. I’ve found a XFX AMD Radeon VII 16GB HBM2, 1750 MHz Boost, 1801 MHz Peak, 3xDP 1xHDMI Pci-E 3.0 in stock. Will this work on my Hackintos?

@andrai886,

I'm not 100% sure but I think all 3rd party OEM Radeon VII cards are basically a re-badged version of the AMD reference design so any Radeon VII should work with MacOS, very similar to when AMD released the water cooled version of the Vega 64 ... all 3rd party OEM cards where basically a re-badged version of the AMD one.

Amazon UK has the same XFX Radeon VII in stock :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NFGDZWQ/?tag=tonymacx86-21

£559 is a very good price for a brand new Radeon VII given that they where £799.00 in the UK when first released, and most other on-line stores in the UK are selling Radeon VII for around £650 at the moment, it might still be worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday for an even better deal .. although £559 is cheaper than some used ones i've seen on eBay.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@andrai886,

I'm not 100% sure but I think all 3rd party OEM Radeon VII cards are basically a re-badged version of the AMD reference design so any Radeon VII should work with MacOS, very similar to when AMD released the water cooled version of the Vega 64 ... all 3rd party OEM cards where basically a re-badged version of the AMD one.

Amazon UK has the same XFX Radeon VII in stock :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NFGDZWQ/?tag=tonymacx86-21

£559 is a very good price for a brand new Radeon VII given that they where £799.00 in the UK when first released, and most other on-line stores in the UK are selling Radeon VII for around £650 at the moment, it might still be worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday for an even better deal .. although £559 is cheaper than some used ones i've seen on eBay.

Cheers
Jay

They all work but there may be some issues associated with the HBM2 memory in MacOS. There are Samsung and Hynix versions and I think the Samsung may be buggy?

They all work but there may be some issues associated with the HBM2 memory in MacOS. There are Samsung and Hynix versions and I think the Samsung may be buggy?
Do you still have two Radeon VIIs? I put a Radeon VII and Vega FE in the same box, never gotten both of them working in MacOS. An addition of Raid controller caused permanent boot failure. Some IO memory mapping was seriously messed up by boot.efi.

Regarding RX 5700 XT, have you seen this video?

Do you still have two Radeon VIIs? I put a Radeon VII and Vega FE in the same box, never gotten both of them working in MacOS. An addition of Raid controller caused permanent boot failure. Some IO memory mapping was seriously messed up by boot.efi.

No I took one back after testing it. Very little benefit for me having two cards. I do t use any apps that need that or support it.

No I took one back after testing it. Very little benefit for me having two cards. I do t use any apps that need that or support it.

Yes but I bet you could run one app on one and the other app on the other at the same time and get better performance. If the program has auto switching and maybe if it doesn't, nothing had auto switching when the 2013 Mac Pro came out the OS did the load balancing for you.

Yes but I bet you could run one app on one and the other app on the other at the same time and get better performance. If the program has auto switching and maybe if it doesn't, nothing had auto switching when the 2013 Mac Pro came out the OS did the load balancing for you.

OpenGL suffers from my experience as the pci lanes drop to 8 instead of 16 and only one card is recognized. Not an issue with a Xeon based board with more lanes, but I don’t have that or need it really.
For those that use editing software if it’s compatible that’s great as long as power cost isn’t a problem.

OpenGL suffers from my experience as the pci lanes drop to 8 instead of 16 and only one card is recognized. Not an issue with a Xeon based board with more lanes, but I don’t have that or need it really.
For those that use editing software if it’s compatible that’s great as long as power cost isn’t a problem.

Fair enough, but why are people always worried about power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back