Intel Core i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I plan on building my first hackintosh with a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 motherboard but I'm having a hard time choosing a video card.

I'll be using a 2560 x 1440 monitor, and hopefully be upgrading to 2 of them at some stage.

I also want to be able to play all the latest games i.e. Grand Theft Auto IV, The Call of Duty series, Watchdogs etc.. without any problems with good quality!

What card would you recommend? Which would be a better option, 1 card or 2 cards in SLI configuration?

I don't know a lot about cards so I really need some help with choosing.

A GTX 1080 should be enough to power Ultra on most AAA titles at 1440p high refresh rate. If you want to go 4K, I'd recommend the 1080Ti. G-Sync does work with macOS, though it's limited to High Sierra since the Nvidia web drivers for Mojave are not out yet.

It really depends on your budget, though. For best performance, get the best card you can afford (see above). To maximize price/performance value, you're best with around a GTX 1060 or RX580. As you go up the ladder to more expensive cards, you get diminishing returns.

Also, the state of SLI/NVlink is not great right now. You're almost always better getting one expensive card than two cheaper cards. The only reason to get two is if you meet all of the following: 1) Already have the top performing card, 2) Really need the extra performance, 3) Have a PC that can power/cool both cards, and 4) Are made of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back