Graphics
2x GTX 570 SLI
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm working on my first Hackintosh and I really want it to scream when it comes to doing GPU rendering in Blender. For now I think Blender's cycles renderer only supports one card, so SLI aside, what is the best single NVIDIA card that I can get that can be made fully functional with Mountain Lion?

I'm thinking the GTX 580 because I've heard that the 6xx series of cards sacrificed computing performance for game performance. Is the GTX 580 fully functional i.e. CUDA in Mountain Lion?

Thanks in advance.

14-127-594-Z06

That card flies. I used it at my friends. renders super fast if u set up the program right, and eats all games thrown at it.

[h=1]MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card[/h]

This is the card i am going with in my build.

I'm working on my first Hackintosh and I really want it to scream when it comes to doing GPU rendering in Blender.

Thanks in advance.
You are looking for Fast rendering then you really have to decide weather or not you want to use the card for gaming too .

If you don't want to game then your best option is the : Quadro 4000

If you Do want to use the graphics card for gaming and rendering then i highly suggest the 680 or 690 (depends on your budget) . I can tell you from experience that the 6xx series does not sacrifice gaming capability .

But if you really want it to be ultra fast at rendering then your only real choice is the Quadro 4000 :p
The GTX gpus arent really designed for animation and rendering . They are designed for gaming .

quadro 4000 , gtx 680 and 690 are all supported natively in ML .
Hope this helped .

oh and the 580 is functional in mountain Lion , Although it may have troubles with Games running in wine .

I've looked at the Quadro but from user reported benchmarks in this http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?239480-2.61-Cycles-render-benchmark blender artists thread the quadro got destroyed by the GTX 580. Not to mention, I could SLI two 580s for about the same price of the quadro 4000, (depending on the type of the 580).

If the only problems that the GTX 580 has in a Hackintosh are games in Wine then I think I'll go for it. Either that or use the fully compatible 560 Ti and SLI it. Anyone know of any other problems that the GTX 580 might have?

GTX580 goes black before login on ML

I have 2 graphics cards, GA-GTX580, 1536MB and Asus HD5770 1GB.
I can't boot with GTX580 because before login monitor goes to sleep.
in the bios I switched to HD5770 and then I can use both of them.
I could't fix it until now I used too many way but no luck yet.
I don't use DSDT (using Cartri bios). I build it in 2008.

GA-EP45-Extreme
Intel core2Quad 9650 3GHz
8GB of DDR2 Ram OCZ
750 watts power
Gigabyte-GTX580
Asus HD5770
maybe my board is old, don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back