Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, please can someone suggest the best build for editing 1080 HD GoPro footage. I would like the machine to be as silent as possible with no lag in editing.

Thanks

Liam

Hi, please can someone suggest the best build for editing 1080 HD GoPro footage. I would like the machine to be as silent as possible with no lag in editing.

Thanks

Liam

As of right now the socket 2011 build in the buyer's guide with the Intel 3930K
is the best choice in my opinion. The Ivy Bridge E 4930K is out but the Motherboard
makers haven't quite caught up yet. The X79 motherboards available now have to
have the bios flashed to work with it. Put your hardware in a quiet case like the
Fractal Define R4 or the Corsair 550D and you'll have a close to silent machine
depending on fan choices.

Here's how the 3930K benchmarks compared to a Xeon at more than 2x the cost.
The I7-3930K at the top of the list costs about $569 at Newegg and Amazon.

TRS 2013-10-23 at 8.40.23 AM.jpg

Thanks, done some reading and it does seem like the i7-3930k with its 6 cores will do the job nicely.

I have a SilverStone GD01MX HTPC case I was hoping to re-use for this build

I already have a PSU, and hard drives so the only other main things to decide on and source are the motherboard and graphics card, please can people advise what my best options maybe. Would it be best to get a workstation graphics card or a cheaper gaming one. I am only editing family GoPro video but like I said to start with I don't want any lag when editing HD content. I will be running Maverics and wondered if that will give more graphic card options.

Thanks

Liam

Any thoughts please.

yes, more info would be appreciated ...

From 'CustoMac Pro Socket 2011':

These rigs are the most powerful single CPU systems you can build. Warning: Power Management is NOT working, and may not ever work. This means no speedstep, sleep, etc...

There is only one MOBO recommended, but the same problems persists? I mean, no Power management, ... ?

USB3 working out of the box ?

thanks,

yes, more info would be appreciated ...

From 'CustoMac Pro Socket 2011':

These rigs are the most powerful single CPU systems you can build. Warning: Power Management is NOT working, and may not ever work. This means no speedstep, sleep, etc...

There is only one MOBO recommended, but the same problems persists? I mean, no Power management, ... ?

USB3 working out of the box ?

thanks,

One of the techs that works for me owns a small commercial recording room that does local bands, indie film scores and corporate voiceovers and he just replaced his previous gen Hack with this system. It's blindly fast. I helped pick the parts and configure the machine. Graphics are 650 Ti Boost but since it's primarily audio with only video playback for sound to picture it works well. No power management (though we disable sleep on purpose built recording machines) and USB 3 does not work nor does it work on any of the Hacks I built except for the projectQ (non Tonymac) I sold to another colleage at the gig.

Do you guys think that with Maverics and the new Mac Pro sleep and USB3 will be available on these boards? Or will I need to wait for a different Mac Pro equivilant board?

all your help is much appreciated.

Do you guys think that with Maverics and the new Mac Pro sleep and USB3 will be available on these boards? Or will I need to wait for a different Mac Pro equivilant board?

all your help is much appreciated.

Sleep and power management perhaps not. My understanding is that it is a hardware/chipset issue. USB 3 likely and there may even be some now that can use it. He didn't have any USB 3 devices and had enough USB 2 ports. On my hacks I'd like the USB 3 ports if nothing else for backwards compatablity. (though I'm working around it with a USB hub). I just learned in another thread that 115x series boards have working USB 3 with a new version of the generic kext. I don't know enough about the chipset differences to say one way or the other if the new version will work on a 2011 board.

Sleep and power management perhaps not. My understanding is that it is a hardware/chipset issue.

@beelzebubba
@L14MDP

Did you build it? Was it difficult (as I've read many difficulties with the socket)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back