Motherboard
S551LB
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA 740m
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm well aware of the Buyer's Guide, I actually came from there. But since there are lots of different components I got pretty confused about it. What components should I buy if I look forward to making a hack for a cost between 850$ and 1050$? I'd like it to last at least 2 years and be fully compatible with Mac OS Sierra and the next two releases.

Edit: I would also use that desktop to run ubuntu and maybe some other linux distro.

Last edited:
I think the best thing to do would be to look at some of the threads in the Golden Builds and Users Builds sub-forums. There, you will see what's working for others and how well.

In terms of Sierra and the next two macOS updates, I have no reason to believe that a Skylake build would lose support any time soon. Apple's Late 2015 iMac added Skylake support. Given how Apple typically continues to give OS support for about 5-7 years (although there has been exceptions to this), it's reasonably safe to assume the same number of years macOS updates will work on a new Skylake build. Of course, this is theorization on my part and nothing is guaranteed.

Getting Windows and Linux to run on off-the-shelf hardware has never been a problem. That's what these components were built for, after all...

If you are planning on using integrated graphics you might consider a 5675C or 5775C. A motherboard with mac-like ports, replaceable Wifi/Bluetooth card and RAM from mobo manufacturers' supported list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back