Contribute
Register

Best backup method for 10.10.3 using clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 4G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi
I just got my first hackintosh working today using Clover. Now I'd like to create a backup, so that if I mess something up, I can always go back to a working version.

What is the best free method to do this, and is there a guide anywhere?

Greetings.

Not precisely what you're after (aka 'not free') -- but I pretty quickly investigated and plunked down the $40 for a license of Carbon Copy Cloner after the number of fantastic mentions in posts here on the forums for it. Just recently it saved my hide with a quick 5 minute restore of some critical System folder files that'd gotten messed up. I simply have a task set to backup my primary drive every 24 hours (2am) > one of 2 externals, utilizing the 'Safety Net' feature (caching of deleted/altered files). This volume is bootable, too, which is an added bonus if you run into issues and want to boot straight into a last-known-working config.

That said, good luck in your search -- but if you're willing to drop the $40, I and a slew of others would no doubt recommend CCC (also has a 30-day trial): https://www.bombich.com/features

Cheers
J

Greetings.

Not precisely what you're after (aka 'not free') -- but I pretty quickly investigated and plunked down the $40 for a license of Carbon Copy Cloner after the number of fantastic mentions in posts here on the forums for it. Just recently it saved my hide with a quick 5 minute restore of some critical System folder files that'd gotten messed up. I simply have a task set to backup my primary drive every 24 hours (2am) > one of 2 externals, utilizing the 'Safety Net' feature (caching of deleted/altered files). This volume is bootable, too, which is an added bonus if you run into issues and want to boot straight into a last-known-working config.

That said, good luck in your search -- but if you're willing to drop the $40, I and a slew of others would no doubt recommend CCC (also has a 30-day trial): https://www.bombich.com/features

Cheers
J

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and downloaded the trial version for now. Do I just backup my install drive, or do i need to backup EFI or something else?

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and downloaded the trial version for now. Do I just backup my install drive, or do i need to backup EFI or something else?

Greetings -- Clonezilla looks to be a solid option, and free.

Ultimately, depending on how 'locked down' your config with Clover is, I'd start with atleast ensuring your system drive is entirely backed-up and go from there. I don't currently backup my EFI partition, but I also don't modify it as frequently as I do my system/primary drive. For that, I simply do a complete backup every 24 hours -> external drive with 'Safety Net' on (for cache of modified/deleted files), which ensures a bootable external drive.

You could consider mounting and backing-up your EFI partition, but I don't know the specifics of how to do that. Seems like something you'd back up once you got things locked-down, though, and maybe not a routine back-up. Just thoughts, here.

One thing I truly dig about CCC is the flexibility, reliability, and consistency. It's easy to set up profiles and, unlike some other backup software(s) -- I've used several and own licenses accordingly -- I found the interface to be quite intuitive and it delivers a reliable, bootable backup quite easily. Restoration was just as easy as creating a backup profile, just in reverse (essentially).

Good luck, man! Sorry for the slow reply, here -- didn't get an alert for your response, strangely!

Best
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back