Contribute
Register

Best ATX P55 Gigabyte board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the cooler is really the least of your concern, as long as you make sure you fit it properly, which is somewhat of a hassle, but at least it your hassle and not mine ;)

I'd spend the extra bit of cash on the 9800 card if you can afford it, as it's a much better card in terms of performance as well, especially if you'd ever play games or use OpenGL pre-rendering, or maybe even some OpenCL stuff once that kicks off on the Apple platform (as the GPU has more shaders which leads to improved OpenCL performance).

"but at least it your hassle and not mine" :lol:

I think I might just wait a little longer for the video card. I have two 512MB 8400GS (XFX and HP) laying around and I'll first check these out. I'm not really a gamer and since I will be running audio apps 99% of the time on this machine I'm not sure I really need a better card.

I'm getting the MB, RAM and CPU now and get movin'... will test the setup with the 8400GS, geekbench etc and then decide.

ok... I know that maybe I'll be proved wrong and get the 9800 in one/two weeks time! :shh:

Cheers, R.

I'm been looking for a Gigabyte P55 board to build my Hackintosh. I see that some here have the GA-P55-UD4P. What is the difference between that and the GA-P55A-UD4P? Is the GA-P55A-UD4P 100% compatible? How is that compared to the GA-P55A-UD3P? Which one would you recommend?

On that note, which Gigabyte P55 motherboard, besides those above, would be most compatible. i.e. requires the least amount of tweaks to get working?

I'm looking to make a purchase soon. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, guys!

None of the Gigabyte boards require much tweaking thanks to Tonymac, as they're all fully supported by the MultiBeast post-install tool which will install everything you need to get a fully working hackintosh.

The A boards work just fine, the only difference is that they have USB 3.0 (which only works at USB 2.0 speed in OS X for now) and SATA 6Gbps (which works like normal SATA ports for now).

Does everything work? All USB, Firewire, eSATA, optical and coaxial (S/PDIF)/analog audio ports? Sleep, Time Machine, Bonjour?

Thanks again!

One more thing: would a GeForce GTX (260 or 275) video card work? Thanks.

I haven't tried Time Machine or Bonjour.

We're working on S/PDIF, it doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment.
All the audio jacks work, but you won't get 5.1-channel audio, but there's supposed to be a fix for that, although I haven't been able to fully try it out and it's a bit of a hassle to get working.

Everything else works.

The GTX cards should work, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back