Contribute
Register

Best ASUS EX 3 Thunderbolt card & UAD Sound card Configurations for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks RyanC for your updates. I'll try the ASUS TB update as well and post back. Glad to hear thunderbolt is stable for you too. Did you get hotswapping working yet?

Incidentally I use OsxAptioFixDrv-free2000.efi It seems to be a pretty reliable fix for getting 100% bootup in general (besides the TB issue)

No I don't have hotplug working...It is strange to me that the TB light will turn off on the 8Pre, and then back on again...somehow I think that suggests that it's possible- but it at this point it's beyond my hackintosh skills.

I didn't have any real reason for high sierra, other than I intend to set these up now, and not mess with OS updates etc for a couple years, so I thought it made the most sense to be current at this point.

Hmm, possibly hotplug is partially working. I can add a TB dock after booting, the Red 8Pre won't reconnect if I turn it off and back on again (it does reconnect on the real mac)...On my older hack I could not add a dock (or anything) after booting. I don't have any TB drives on hand but I'm very curious as that's the only thing I would ever need to hotplug.

One thing I can't get working so far is BIOS POST or the clover boot screen through the TB dock, but it does show up an the OSX login screen...

Hmm, possibly hotplug is partially working. I can add a TB dock after booting, the Red 8Pre won't reconnect if I turn it off and back on again (it does reconnect on the real mac)...On my older hack I could not add a dock (or anything) after booting. I don't have any TB drives on hand but I'm very curious as that's the only thing I would ever need to hotplug.

One thing I can't get working so far is BIOS POST or the clover boot screen through the TB dock, but it does show up an the OSX login screen...

Somehow the approach I took to updating the ASUS THUNDERBOLT EX 3 firmware has messed my whole system. I can't boot to either of my OS-X system disks. I really shouldn't have messed with it in the middle of an editing job :banghead:. RyanC maybe you've come across this before. in verbose, I can't even get past the few lines

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for ......
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no

I've disconnected the thunderbolt card completely and reflashed bios and still no luck. Gonna try booting from my clover USB disk to see. I'm out of my depth here in knowing how to restore my system. Any ideas?

Somehow the approach I took to updating the ASUS THUNDERBOLT EX 3 firmware has messed my whole system. I can't boot to either of my OS-X system disks. I really shouldn't have messed with it in the middle of an editing job :banghead:. RyanC maybe you've come across this before. in verbose, I can't even get past the few lines

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for ......
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no

I've disconnected the thunderbolt card completely and reflashed bios and still no luck. Gonna try booting from my clover USB disk to see. I'm out of my depth here in knowing how to restore my system. Any ideas?

Oh No!

Well I wish I could help, I picked up an x99 deluxe realizing that 6 cores just isn't going to cut it, and now I'm having the same issue getting it to work with any of the TBEX3 cards. I have 4 cards and brilliantly thought I would just go ahead and update all 4...

At this point the z370 system is running pretty good, but the thunderbolt doesn't recognize on every boot and I'm going to need a little more horsepower so I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and going x299.

I've found that with my Apollo Twin, when it's connected in macOS on my z170-Deluxe build, if I turn it off before my CustoMac sleeps and turn it on before it wakes from sleep, it will reconnect and I can continue using it. It's not exactly the same as hotplugging but at least if I haven't restarted by CustoMac, it'll reconnect if it's turned on before wake from sleep.

Hello all -

I'm working to get may ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card working on my Hackintosh, and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get Windows 10 to recognize the card's existence, thus the ASUS Firmware Update always fails.

I have a REALLY DUMB question - do I need some sort of Thunderbolt device (like a hard disk) actually PLUGGED INTO the TB3 card to get the ASUS firmware updater to successfully complete?

(I am planning on getting a Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII installed, and wanted to confirm proper TB port operation FIRST.)

Hello all -

I'm working to get may ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card working on my Hackintosh, and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get Windows 10 to recognize the card's existence, thus the ASUS Firmware Update always fails.

I have a REALLY DUMB question - do I need some sort of Thunderbolt device (like a hard disk) actually PLUGGED INTO the TB3 card to get the ASUS firmware updater to successfully complete?

(I am planning on getting a Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII installed, and wanted to confirm proper TB port operation FIRST.)

That's what I thought. My Hack failed –the Thunderbolt drivers won't load in High Sierra. Figured I borked it in Clover Config and I'd start again, but with a dual-boot: One SSD for Windows 10 Pro, another SSD for macOS.

I'd put the brakes on any Thunderbolt audio device. I have the UAD Apollo 8 and it only works on my Mac Mini. Just reinstalled Windows 10 and updated everything. The UAD software (9.5.2) cannot mount the Apollo 8, but it does see the BMD Multidock 2.

I'm using two discrete Apple Thunderbolt 1-meter cables with matching firmware with matching Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapters. Oddly, Firewire is working just fine.

That's what I thought. My Hack failed –the Thunderbolt drivers won't load in High Sierra. Figured I borked it in Clover Config and I'd start again, but with a dual-boot: One SSD for Windows 10 Pro, another SSD for macOS.

I'd put the brakes on any Thunderbolt audio device. I have the UAD Apollo 8 and it only works on my Mac Mini. Just reinstalled Windows 10 and updated everything. The UAD software (9.5.2) cannot mount the Apollo 8, but it does see the BMD Multidock 2.

I'm using two discrete Apple Thunderbolt 1-meter cables with matching firmware with matching Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapters. Oddly, Firewire is working just fine.

So, I discovered the issue with Windows 10 not recognizing the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.

With the ASUS motherboard came a Windows CD ROM, with all sorts of drivers. I booted into Windows, loaded up the ASUS drivers, and rebooted. THEN I tried to install the ASUS firmware updater, and it worked perfectly. Windows detected the TB card in the system tray.

NEXT step was booting into High Sierra, and with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi loaded into my EFI folder, MacOS booted fine. However, in the System Report, Thunderbolt still shows "No hardware was found" - however, based upon other comments in this forum, a TB device has to be PLUGGED IN for it to come to life.

I'll be running off to Best Buy soon to "borrow" a TB3 disk drive, and see what happens. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back