Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Hi, I have a hackintosh I built several years ago. I have been using the built-in graphics with 2 monitors, but would like to add a third monitor.

I think I have to disable the built-in graphics to use an external card, is that correct? In that case what are some good 3 monitor card options for my motherboard? They don't need to be the latest and greatest, older ones I can buy used are great.

I'm on Sierra right now and will probably update soon to High Sierra. Avoiding the newest OS for now for music plugin compatibility.

Thank you!

John

It's not necessary to disable the built-in graphics. But better disable it to avoid any issues when using a graphics card.
For a music DAW, that doesn't need heavy video CG stuff, you will be fine with any RX 570, RX 580, RX 590.
They are sold at reduced prices now, and used cards are even cheaper. Check the buyers guide on this website for recommended cards. Sapphire pulse RX580 seems popular with best price / performance. You can also buy Nvidia cards, but they won't work in Mojave, Catalina. I am stuck in high Sierra with my GTX 970. If you don't mind it, then look at GTX 970 or 980. And check the product website for exact specs, and compare.

Hi, I have a hackintosh I built several years ago. I have been using the built-in graphics with 2 monitors, but would like to add a third monitor.

I think I have to disable the built-in graphics to use an external card, is that correct? In that case what are some good 3 monitor card options for my motherboard? They don't need to be the latest and greatest, older ones I can buy used are great.

@johnbosler,

I'm using a Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU with my Z97 system (see White Knight build in my signature for specs).

If you add a dGPU you should not disable the IGPU, but configure the dGPU as the primary display adapter and leave the IGPU enabled (sometimes called multi-monitor mode in the BIOS).

You should then configure the IGPU with a "Headless" PlatformID, this is how real Macs (iMac's and some Mac Mini's) with IGPU + dGPU are configured. MacOS uses the IGPU for lite compute tasks such as previewing jpg & videos in finder, Airplay ..etc its also used by the VideoToolBox API/Framework which is integral to MacOS operation.

Recommend using iMac15,1 SMBIOS and "Headless" PlatformID 0x0412000B for the IGPU using WhatEverGreen (WEG).
Full details for configuring IGPU as "Headless" are in section 4.2 of this guide :-

If your new to Lilu & WEG you should read the whole guide ...

Cheers
Jay

jaymonkey, thanks for the info. Is it ok to use iMac 15,1 identifier for a z97, 4790k config ? I am currently using 14,2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back