Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi guys.
i'm goign to build the following configuration:

-mobo:
-cpu: i7 4930k (used, great price)
-heatsink: swiftech h220
-gpu: evga gtx780 (used, great price)
-power: enermax platimax 750 (used, great price)
-case:cooler master cm690III
-ram: 4x4 1866 ddr3 cl9
-ssd samsung 840pro 256 (mac) already owned
-ssd samsung 840pro 256 (windows) already owned
-ss samsung 1tb evo (data)

my question is: which mono should i get?
asus, gigabyte or asrock?
what about new gigabyte mobos?iìve seen that on the idf2013 gigabyte presented only the sniper g3 mono and then only z87 but no new x79!

please, suggest me something.
what about socket 2011 with even thunderbolt?

off topic:if ivi bridge-e has no gpu integrated, does it mean that new mac pro 2013 has no airplay features?

i've asked myself the same question, since i'm going to build the same system except with a windfroce gtx 770 4gb.

the thing about gigabyte boards is that they aren't natively capable of running a ivy bridge e cpu, since they usually don't ship with the updated bios, thus you won't be able to use them unless you have a sandy bridge e cpu. so i've decided to go with a asus mobo since they all have native support for updating their bios via a usb stick. the gigabyte mobos do have that feature too, however only with the new bios version. the one they come with do not have this feature. (what a fail....)

The Ivy Bridge E cpus do need the most current bios update to run on
socket 2011 boards. What should be happening with those boards that have the
older bios is this: The reseller that stocks the GA socket 2011s is responsible
for updating them before selling to customers. It would be impossible for the
sellers to send them all back to Taiwan for GA to do this on all of these older
X79 motherboards.

Unfortunately most resellers don't meet this requirement and just sell them as is with
no forewarning about using the Ivy E cpu.

Communication with the seller is recommended before buying any socket 2011.
If they won't update a GA motherboard for you find a another seller that will or
go to a local computer repair shop that will do it for you.

true, however since most of us will buy pc-components over the internet, the likelihood is quiet high that the firmware version won't be up to date. and sending the mobo to gigabyte or bringing it to a local electronics store will cost you time and money. that's why i'd like to go with a asus board, at least this is my opinion.

Yes, Asus is a great choice for a socket 2011 build. Find a User/Golden build here for the
model you want then learn the requirements specific to that one. Good luck on your build :!:

so, i placed my order. here is my configuration:

-mobo: asus x79 sabertooth NEW
-cpu: i7 4930k (used, great price)
-heatsink: swiftech h220 NEW
-gpu: evga gtx780 sc with acx cooler (used, great price)
-power: corsair ax760 NEW
-case:eek:bsidian 550d quiet NEW
-ram: mushkin 4x4gb d000mhz (used, great price)
-ssd samsung 840pro 256 (mac) already owned
-ssd samsung 840pro 256 (windows) already owned
-ssd crucial m500 960gb (data)

amount of money spent (1990 euro)
i'm really happy.
now i have to wait 3-4 days to receive items and then i have to wait for the 10.9.2! (maybe at the end of january)

this is almost the exact same pc i'm going to build.

i've already bought (all new from amazon)

-be quiet dark power pro 10 850W psi
-samsung ssd 250GB
-fractal design define r4
-low profile ddr3 vengeance 16 gb total
-be quiet dark rock 2 cpu cooler
-gigabyte gtx 770 windforce

the mobo and cpu are 4930k and asus sabertooth x79, however i haven't ordert them yet since i need to be sure this pc configuration will work. if not, i'll take the ga-z87x-ud5h and 4770k, but i hope to get the 6 core cpu

please keep me up to date about our pc and how you're going to install os x on your pc. (and what is not going to work...)

ps: gtx780? I thought only a gtx 770 and lower is supported natively under os x, the new gk-110 gpu's (titan, 780, 780ti) could be also a problem to use in a hackintosh. but i wish you luck with your pc!

this is almost the exact same pc i'm going to build.

i've already bought (all new from amazon)

-be quiet dark power pro 10 850W psi
-samsung ssd 250GB
-fractal design define r4
-low profile ddr3 vengeance 16 gb total
-be quiet dark rock 2 cpu cooler
-gigabyte gtx 770 windforce

the mobo and cpu are 4930k and asus sabertooth x79, however i haven't ordert them yet since i need to be sure this pc configuration will work. if not, i'll take the ga-z87x-ud5h and 4770k, but i hope to get the 6 core cpu

please keep me up to date about our pc and how you're going to install os x on your pc. (and what is not going to work...)

ps: gtx780? I thought only a gtx 770 and lower is supported natively under os x, the new gk-110 gpu's (titan, 780, 780ti) could be also a problem to use in a hackintosh. but i wish you luck with your pc!

that's correct! that's why i bought a used one, that is rev.a, so it will work natively :)
i will create a thread when i will build the mackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back