i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there!

Recently I've installed El Capitan Public Beta in my main rig for comparing performance and trying the new features (specially interested in Split mode).

Here you have my results. It's a 3770k @4Ghz over a Z77X-UD5H with 32Gb of RAM and Nvidia GTX 680 2Gb (Master Audio Build in my signature):

GeekBench 64bit: Yosemite 10.10.4 (left) El Capitan Public Beta (right).

gb_yos.png gb_cap.png

Luxmark 3.0 (both HD4000 and GTX 680): Yosemite 10.10.4 (left) El Capitan Public Beta (right).

lux_yos.png lux_cap.png

CineBench R15 (GTX 680): Yosemite 10.10.4 (left) El Capitan Public Beta (right).

cb_yos.png cb_cap.png

In my opinion this benchmark speaks by itself, the performance is the same. I was wondering if you guys have had similar results.

Thanks and hope it helps!

There is little reason to expect performance changes in those areas right now. Drivers remain at same version. Opengl remains at same version. Opencl remains at same version. Metal is new but nothing is using it yet so everything on 10.11 is still using the legacy apis of 10.10 and older. Metal is in fact still a bit immature. as netkas points out, even the desktop isn't using it on AMD or nvidia hardware. It IS being used by IGP though so machines without a dedicated gpu are seeing some gains with responsiveness of OS, but for most part there is not much there yet.

Plus we are hopelessly waiting for nvidia to get web driver out because apple still persists to use REALLY out of date drivers that not only hurt us (which of course is reasonable for apple not to care) but also hurt genuine macs on 700 series gpus like their older gen imac and macbooks, which benefit from having a driver that's newer than r310. Alas, we must hope for nvidia to rectify that wrong for all users. Hopefully soon...

There is little reason to expect performance changes in those areas right now. Drivers remain at same version. Opengl remains at same version. Opencl remains at same version. Metal is new but nothing is using it yet so everything on 10.11 is still using the legacy apis of 10.10 and older. Metal is in fact still a bit immature. as netkas points out, even the desktop isn't using it on AMD or nvidia hardware. It IS being used by IGP though so machines without a dedicated gpu are seeing some gains with responsiveness of OS, but for most part there is not much there yet.

Maybe that explains why the desktop feels somewhat smoother here but the benchmarks show same results (I'm using both HD4000 and GTX680).

Hi there!

Recently I've installed El Capitan Public Beta in my main rig for comparing performance and trying the new features (specially interested in Split mode).

Here you have my results. It's a 3770k @4Ghz over a Z77X-UD5H with 32Gb of RAM and Nvidia GTX 680 2Gb (Master Audio Build in my signature):

GeekBench 64bit: Yosemite 10.10.4 (left) El Capitan Public Beta (right).

View attachment 143713 View attachment 143714

Luxmark 3.0 (both HD4000 and GTX 680): Yosemite 10.10.4 (left) El Capitan Public Beta (right).

View attachment 143715 View attachment 143716

CineBench R15 (GTX 680): Yosemite 10.10.4 (left) El Capitan Public Beta (right).

View attachment 143717 View attachment 143718

In my opinion this benchmark speaks by itself, the performance is the same. I was wondering if you guys have had similar results.

Thanks and hope it helps!

And it's still a beta. There will be a slightly (at least) increase in performance due to additional overhead produced by additional debugging software.
Great news anyway!

I recommend do the test with Final Cut X o Davinci Resolve Lite - for free in the site, for check Metal.
There is a famous test called Bruce Test: a complex XML to export 5K.

I recommend do the test with Final Cut X o Davinci Resolve Lite - for free in the site, for check Metal.
There is a famous test called Bruce Test: a complex XML to export 5K.

Good to know! I'll pass the tests you mention soon and I'll upload the results.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back