Contribute
Register

Beige G3 desktop Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have 4 beige G3 Macs. Two are in pristine condition the other two are in so so condition. One is the Minitower model and the other is a desktop model. I've been thinking of turning one or both of them into an upgraded version. I am thinking if I can I'd follow build for a Mini to keep from having to use an additional GPU on the board if I were to do the desktop model. If I were to do the Minitower route there was actually more room in them than the Sawtooth G4. If I did either of them I'd complete the retro look by using the beige Apple Pro keyboard and switch it over to USB. Now, if there were only a way to put an LCD screen into a vintage beige monitor that looked like it is supposed to be there. Any thoughts???

Nice idea! :) Those beige era Macs were amazingly solid and well engineered bits of kit compared to the majority of their PC counterparts! I was a former Performa 6200 owner before I made the jump to the (awesome) blue and white G3 tower...

Not much I can really say about the case mod idea but I would think the mac mini style build would fit without much problem.

Anyway, getting (slowly) to the point, several years ago I tried fitting a 15" LCD screen into an empty iMac case. (original Bondi Blue).

I had a 15" (4:3 ratio) LCD display going spare so after a bit of cutting and bodging on the inside of the iMacs screen bezel I got the LCD to fit surprisingly well, except for 1 issue.... the curved front/face of the iMacs bezel which was designed to fit around a non-flat CRT display.

At the left and right edges of the screen it was a nice tight fit between the screen and the bezel but towards the centre of the display/bezel there was a gap of about 10-15mm (from what I recall). It basically looked a bit messy and I couldn't think of a neat way to fill the gap with the tools/materials available to me at the time.

This image kind of illustrates the the non-flat display: http://www.mactechnology.co.uk/ekmp...able-drawer-loading-cd-drive-complete-5-p.jpg

I suspect you would have a similar issue with your old Apple display as I think most CRT's had slightly curved glass. Maybe you got lucky though and its a Trinitron style display with much flatter screen/bezel?

What actually led to me abandoning my mod was the fact my LCD only had a resolution of 1024 x 760. To get a high res 15" screen at the time was expensive, especially just for a 'fun project'.

At least LCD's are a hell of a lot cheaper nowadays so it might still be worth you investigating whats out there and seeing if there is a size, ratio and resolution that would work well with your old display case.

Have fun! :)

I had one of the Beige AIO units that Apple primarily only sold to Schools and Educational facilities.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-mac-g3-all-in-one.html

I remember that it had a slide out motherboard tray that could probably be adapted to hold a PC motherboard without too much issue. I'm wondering though how hard it would be to connect the old CRT monitor though, or if it would require3 swapping that out to a LCD screen like I've seen done on the older colored G3 Imacs.

Do it! I've been wanting to see a 90s tower get modded up. :)

I thought about using the "Molar" AIO G3 too but getting past the screen would be the toughest part. After looking at my beige Minitower I could build one of the more powerful "Mac Pro" style machines because of the style of the case. It probably take removing where the CD-ROM, Zip Drive and floppy drive went though to make room for cooling. The Mini tower is almost like how the B&W G3 and later cases were designed except the hinge is on the internal and the power supply is on the hinged part instead of being internal to the computer. So again I am at the same issues I had with my Sawtooth build and needing a extension from the PSU. It's another challenge I'm up for. More research to be done though before it's attempted. The research I did for my Sawtooth build paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back