Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to using OC Auxiliary Tools App (Also known as OCAT)

Why must this be so painful? I have a running system with Catalina and Clover. Should upgrade now to Monterey. Why can't I do this with MultiBeast :( ? I don't want to learn several days about OC and all that kext and plist stuff ...

Please, please update MultiBeast to support macOS > 11 - please :)

Have an i5-6400, RX 580 Graphics, nothing special...

Thanks, anyway.

I have a running system with Catalina and clover. Should upgrade now to Monterey. Why can't I do this with MultiBeast
Clover only works with Monterey because of a massive debt to OpenCore. Slice borrowed from Acidanthera's code just to be able to even boot Big Sur or newer versions. It wouldn't work otherwise. So if you want to run Monterey OC is mandatory. It's a large part of the latest Clover.

Last edited:
I've got two 4k monitors running off of my RX 5500 XT and came across this in UEFI/Output/Resolution. Do I now need to add a key in NVRAM to make this work/enable?
Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 1.25.20 PM.png

Since the release of OpenCore since 0.7.6 the UIScale key can be found in the UEFI > Output section in the Sample.plist. Default for this entry is '0'.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 22.26.16.png

In older versions of OpenCore 0.7.5 and earlier, there was a NVRAM UIScale entry, as shown below from the Sample.plist from OC 0.6.9
NVRAM > Add > 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 > UIScale > Data > <01>

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 22.29.20.png

If I recall correctly, ocvalidate generates an error when both UIScale keys/entries are present in the config.plist. So adding a NVRAM UIScale entry may not work.

You probably need to use the current UEFI > Output entry, change this number to '2' to see if it makes any difference.

Since the release of OpenCore since 0.7.6 the UIScale key can be found in the UEFI > Output section in the Sample.plist. Default for this entry is '0'.

View attachment 564651

In older versions of OpenCore 0.7.5 and earlier, there was a NVRAM UIScale entry, as shown below from the Sample.plist from OC 0.6.9
NVRAM > Add > 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 > UIScale > Data > <01>

View attachment 564652

If I recall correctly, ocvalidate generates an error when both UIScale keys/entries are present in the config.plist. So adding a NVRAM UIScale entry may not work.

You probably need to use the current UEFI > Output entry, change this number to '2' to see if it makes any difference.
Thanks @Edhawk . The instruction I highlighted was a bit confusing. I'll try the UEFI > Output entry you suggested and see how that works.

Probably a dumb question .. but .. could I use the Win64 version of OCAT running in a Virtual Machine to see what changes would be made when updating my OC EFI setup?

In other words - for an update will OCAT look at the hardware or can I just have it look at the EFI itself and change OC, kexts etc. to the updated versions?

In OCAT, you have the choice of updating to the latest OC version as well as all latest kext versions minus any kext you configured, altered or created to suite your machine i.e a USB ports mapped kext. Every thing else can be updated. You can update OC it self or just the kext files or both.
Hope my clumsy explanation is understandable.

Forgive the dumb question; I set up my new Hacks (upgraded from two older machines) back in September with OC 0.8.6/Monterey 12.1 (now on 12.6.6).
Upgrading one of them to Ventura b0rked my Internet (doesn't see my I-225V NIC). So, I'm now entering the brave new world of OCAT (there's supposedly an easy fix for this problem using it). Apparently the current version of OCAT (20230020) is not compatible with 0.8.6. Which version is?

Also, once I get everything working with the 0.8.6-compatible release, I was planning on upgrading OC to the latest (0.9.2) after I got Ventura working and stable on both machines (and have image backups!). Can this be done in one step, or do I need to go up one OC/OCAT version at a time? Thanks, and pardon the newb questions!

Last edited:
Forgive the dumb question; I set up my new Hacks (upgraded from two older machines) back in September with OC 0.8.6/Monterey 12.1 (now on 12.6.6).
Upgrading one of them to Ventura b0rked my Internet (doesn't see my I-225V NIC). So, I'm now entering the brave new world of OCAT (there's supposedly an easy fix for this problem using it). Is the current version of OCAT still compatible with 0.8.6? If not, is there an easy way to upgrade everything without causing more issues? I was planning on upgrading OC to the latest (0.9.2) after I got Ventura working and stable on both machines (and have image backups!). Thanks, and pardon the newb question!
Your I225V probably needs a fix

Back