Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to using OC Auxiliary Tools App (Also known as OCAT)

Totally agree with all the positives about this app, it is definitely a must have in the Hackintosh tool box. I was an early beta tester for this app and also offered up ideas and improvements in the early development and was listed with a few others in the Credits in the early stages.

Whether I am upgrading or doing a clean install, this is the app I heavily lean on. @trs96, thanks for the clear and concise tutorial, very understandable for both experience and newbie members alike.

I look forward to trying this when I get some free time in the weeks ahead. As a long time hackintosher, from clover to opencore, these tools can be helpful, so thanks to the devs.

On the other hand, I'm grateful that I've been forced to learn opencore in detail using the Dortania guide and explanations, and done several builds from scratch. This helps troubleshooting for when the 'click-in-one' tools don't quite get things right.

Last edited:
yes I too was a early user of OCAT now it is my open core update tool Kext update tool. great to see it been recognised :headbang:

which is also mentioned in post 1:
1. Download the latest release from Github. There are Linux, Mac and Windows versions.
I'm not contradicting or saying what is in post 1 is wrong, just noting a potential pitfall that could be confusing (speaking personally I tend to search and go to homepage of a project I know rather than going back to instructions here).

I'm probably "old school" and I feel I have more control using ProperTree and OCConfigCompare, and they amount to a few KB instead of 20 or 30 MB for OCAT...
Yes, ProperTree is great for those with some previous experience editing a .plist. Newbies though will generally create more problems with it. So OCAT is probably a better way to start out for the uninitiated.

Yes, ProperTree is great for those with some previous experience editing a .plist. Newbies though will generally create more problems with it. So OCAT is probably a better way to start out for the uninitiated.
Absolutely! A nice GUI gives you a sense of security when you're new to hackintosh. I don't know how I would have managed without Multibeast or Clover Configurator, a few years ago. ;)

Another great guide @trs96!. I've downloaded OCAT before, but never used it to create an EFI, I got confused at the 'version' bit and went back to propertree!. Is there a way around the compatibility between propertree and OCAT?. I have found at least, that once I open an EFI created in Propertree in OCAT, save it, I can't open it in propertree again!,

once I open an EFI created in Propertree in OCAT, save it, I can't open it in propertree again!
I would avoid using those two apps together. Will likely create issues.

Back