Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to Dual Boot Windows and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried this and disabled 'Windows services' after following the path you gave me. Unfortunately this has not changed anything. Is there maybe something to do with the OS X install? When I am running the Windows SSD does the OS X HDD just sleep and get woken when I use any connected devices such as keyboard or mouse? Is there a method to track down the reason such as some logged data or anything else? I realise that I probably should not be throwing out my ill informed theories, I just don't like to be so passive in these situations and really would like to learn how to sort at least some of this stuff out for myself.
If you are booted into Windows OS X is not going to be doing anything as it is not operational - it is just data on a drive.
If it is not Windows indexing, then it could also be something to do with pre-fetch activity. Suggest a bit of research.

Okay I'll do some research on this... to be honest I will be searching online using the words you have provided (do you have any other terminology to add?), also should I be searching with regards to OS X or windows?

Okay I'll do some research on this... to be honest I will be searching online using the words you have provided (do you have any other terminology to add?), also should I be searching with regards to OS X or windows?
Take a look at task scheduler. Also check to see if you have auto defrag enabled. If you do, Win10 defragger will run the HDD defrag app after 5 minutes (I think it is 5) of idle with no KB input or mouse movement.

Finally got my dual boot working! Windows 10 Pro + 10.12.2 Sierra. So stoked!

I installed MAC OS and ran multi boot. Anyway to reverse the changes or should I just start from scratch?

Hello.

Trying for a dual-boot Win/MacOS machine, on two SSDs.

I have a refurbished HP 8300 Elite w/ GTX 1050ti GPU. The machine SSD came with windows 10 installed but it was legacy. I re installed Windows non-legacy and it works, but there’s a catch.

I have a 2nd SSD with Sierra. It works, too. But there’s another catch.

When I’m in Windows then restart, or shut down then re-boot, Clover does not load. It goes straight to Windows. If I disconnect the Win SSD I get Clover back, and I see my MacOS SSD.

If I then shut down, re-connect the Win SSD and boot, I get Clover with both Win and MacOS.

If I ONLY boot MacOS, I consistently get Clover. But if I choose Windows, it boots fine - but as soon as I restart I lose Clover, and it boots straight into Windows again. I have to shut down and disconnect the Win SSDS to get Clover back again.

I did my best to follow the guide on building on an HP 8300 Elite, but I have no idea how to solve this.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Hello.

Trying for a dual-boot Win/MacOS machine, on two SSDs.

I have a refurbished HP 8300 Elite w/ GTX 1050ti GPU. The machine SSD came with windows 10 installed but it was legacy. I re installed Windows non-legacy and it works, but there’s a catch.

I have a 2nd SSD with Sierra. It works, too. But there’s another catch.

When I’m in Windows then restart, or shut down then re-boot, Clover does not load. It goes straight to Windows. If I disconnect the Win SSD I get Clover back, and I see my MacOS SSD.

If I then shut down, re-connect the Win SSD and boot, I get Clover with both Win and MacOS.

If I ONLY boot MacOS, I consistently get Clover. But if I choose Windows, it boots fine - but as soon as I restart I lose Clover, and it boots straight into Windows again. I have to shut down and disconnect the Win SSDS to get Clover back again.

I did my best to follow the guide on building on an HP 8300 Elite, but I have no idea how to solve this.

Suggestions?
This is a BIOS/UEFI setting problem and is common on any of the Sky Lake or later CPU UEFI based boards

This is a BIOS/UEFI setting problem and is common on any of the Sky Lake or later CPU UEFI based boards
Thanks G'Bald. Is there a known resolution for this?

I am in the process of dual booting a a second PC MSI H611 E35 mother board 8Gb of ram i3 processor, original I intended to make the same installation as to my present desk top as I subscribe keeping separate OS and drives.
The original has worked good for a number of years originally with Maverick and Zorin must comment both these systems put MS to shame. Switching between the two drives was made before booting via a simple two way six pole switch splitting the Yellow 12v. and the Red 5v. between the two drives, with a Gigabyte GA-Z77 board this worked perfect name in the two drives in boot order. Unfourtunaly this did not work on the MSI board hence my search for alternative solution, sure it became a problem and reinstalling Sierra was not straight forward as each installation appears to require that the hidden files are deleted from the host drive before you can get a clean installation.
Clearing the Bios presented an issue that the board was bricked I believe the Bios chip has given up any body get a new Bios chip to install ?
Has any of the subscribers experience of a good boot manager to take acre of two OS, I prefer that the MBR is left as the OS intended and keep both systems separate.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back