Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to Dual Boot Windows and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I use a hackintosh with osx yosemite installed. But after using it for some time i realised that i might need a windows installation too. So I would highly benefit from dual booting to windows. However I have a lot of work done on OSX and I dont want to re-format it. Is it possible to configure dual boot without deleting the current OSX installation? In osx disk utility, I can repartition my drive to have another FAT partition. If i try to install windows on that partition, would my osx still work ?

Hello,

I use a hackintosh with osx yosemite installed. But after using it for some time i realised that i might need a windows installation too. So I would highly benefit from dual booting to windows. However I have a lot of work done on OSX and I dont want to re-format it. Is it possible to configure dual boot without deleting the current OSX installation? In osx disk utility, I can repartition my drive to have another FAT partition. If i try to install windows on that partition, would my osx still work ?

See second half of the sticky guide at the top of this forum. Since you have already installed OS X basic steps are:
1. Shrink the OS X partition to leave free space the size of what you want the Windows partition to be.
2. Format this free space MSDOS FAT and label it Windows.
3. Install Windows to the new partition, reformatting the partition NTFS with the Windows installer.

Initially, I install my Yosemite OSX with unibeast on my SSD. I tried to install my Windows 10 but it always cannot dualboot, only 1 can be active at one time. I read something about Clover is recommended, so I installed Clover and override Chimera.
Now I tried creating a new partition (HFS+) within the same SSD for my Windows installation. I created a bootable USB using rufus (GPT partition) and boot it in UEFI mode. So the windows 10 installation page started and obviously it can't be installed on the HFS+ partition.
I deleted it and press next, there was a prompt saying that the windows installation could not be booted the next time, and it went back to the installation start screen, i navigated again and saw 4 additional partitions were created (recovery, system reserved, MBR and primary partition). Now I tried to select the primary partition to install again, and it is complaining unable to create or locate existing drive.
What steps did I do wrong?

Initially, I install my Yosemite OSX with unibeast on my SSD. I tried to install my Windows 10 but it always cannot dualboot, only 1 can be active at one time. I read something about Clover is recommended, so I installed Clover and override Chimera.
Now I tried creating a new partition (HFS+) within the same SSD for my Windows installation. I created a bootable USB using rufus (GPT partition) and boot it in UEFI mode. So the windows 10 installation page started and obviously it can't be installed on the HFS+ partition.
I deleted it and press next, there was a prompt saying that the windows installation could not be booted the next time, and it went back to the installation start screen, i navigated again and saw 4 additional partitions were created (recovery, system reserved, MBR and primary partition). Now I tried to select the primary partition to install again, and it is complaining unable to create or locate existing drive.
What steps did I do wrong?

A: FYI there can be only one operating system running at a time. You can use OS 1 to create a VM and run OS 2 in the VM, but you cannot run both OS's at once.

B: Installing Windows 10 in legacy mode and installing it in UEFI mode require totally different methods of formatting the drive partitions.

C: Instaling and booting UEFI for both Windows 10 and OS X requires first of all a board with UEFI instead of legacy BIOS.

Hi everyone, my question: i got a pc with 1 SSD (with win 10) e 3 HD (for storage) and i want to make a partition on 1 HD and install El Capitan.
After that, there's a way to boot always in win (i need for work) and start yosemite only from win, from bios or any other "manual" way, without using the chimera bootloader?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, my question: i got a pc with 1 SSD (with win 10) e 3 HD (for storage) and i want to make a partition on 1 HD and install El Capitan.
After that, there's a way to boot always in win (i need for work) and start yosemite only from win, from bios or any other "manual" way, without using the chimera bootloader?

Thanks!
Disconnect the Windows drive. Backup, Backup, BACKUP your HDD data because you need to reformat the HDD.
Is Windows installed Legacy mode or UEFI? Can't say a thing for sure with no data on hardware, either, so follow the rules and put your hardware in your profile and/or create a sig.

My motherboard is UEFI. How do I go about partitioning and installing Win 10 in a new partiton on the SSD my OSX is currently running?

My motherboard is UEFI. How do I go about partitioning and installing Win 10 in a new partiton on the SSD my OSX is currently running?

In disk utility, shrink your current partition to allow free space for a Windows partition. Format this space OS X Extended (Journaled) as if you were going to install OS X.

Boot the Windows installer and select the partition, click on the advanced button, delete the partition to free space and click on continue and install - Windows will create its own partitions and format them.

I really recommend you get a separate drive for Windows - it will save you from :banghead::banghead: later when you go to update/upgrade either OS.

Disconnect the Windows drive. Backup, Backup, BACKUP your HDD data because you need to reformat the HDD.
Is Windows installed Legacy mode or UEFI? Can't say a thing for sure with no data on hardware, either, so follow the rules and put your hardware in your profile and/or create a sig.

Sorry, i'll create a sign.

Anyway, i't's legacy mode.

My hardware:
Mobo: Asus Z97-K ATX
Processor: Intel 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz
HD: 1 SDD (Win 10), 3 HDD (storage)

Thanks,

[h=1][/h]

Sorry, i'll create a sign.

Anyway, i't's legacy mode.

My hardware:
Mobo: Asus Z97-K ATX
Processor: Intel 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz
HD: 1 SDD (Win 10), 3 HDD (storage)

Thanks,
For any version of OS X up through Yosemite you can use the Sticky: [Guide] at the beginning of this forum and dual boot using Chimera as your boot loader.
For using Clover and El Capitan best you get a separate drive. Otherwise see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html for a taste of problems installing on same drive with Windows.
It can be done - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html and just ignore the laptop specific items if you are installing on a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back