GA H77N
CPU
i3 3225
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have a query concerning dual boot, mine is all good and functioning I just want to ask if it is normal and okay for the drive that is not in use to spin up and run randomly? I have sierra installed on a HDD and windows 10 on an SSD, when using windows the HDD sometimes powers on and runs for a while, sometimes until I turn off the computer. Is this something to be worried about (other than power use and disk wear and tear)? Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1 BIOS F7
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
I have a query concerning dual boot, mine is all good and functioning I just want to ask if it is normal and okay for the drive that is not in use to spin up and run randomly? I have sierra installed on a HDD and windows 10 on an SSD, when using windows the HDD sometimes powers on and runs for a while, sometimes until I turn off the computer. Is this something to be worried about (other than power use and disk wear and tear)? Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?
This is probably Windows 10 Search Indexing service, similar to OS X SpotLight. You can disable it from Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services or type services.msc in the Start->Run box and hit enter.

Motherboard
GA H77N
CPU
i3 3225
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
This is probably Windows 10 Search Indexing service, similar to OS X SpotLight. You can disable it from Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services or type services.msc in the Start->Run box and hit enter.
I tried this and disabled 'Windows services' after following the path you gave me. Unfortunately this has not changed anything. Is there maybe something to do with the OS X install? When I am running the Windows SSD does the OS X HDD just sleep and get woken when I use any connected devices such as keyboard or mouse? Is there a method to track down the reason such as some logged data or anything else? I realise that I probably should not be throwing out my ill informed theories, I just don't like to be so passive in these situations and really would like to learn how to sort at least some of this stuff out for myself.

Going Bald

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Classic Mac
iMac
I tried this and disabled 'Windows services' after following the path you gave me. Unfortunately this has not changed anything. Is there maybe something to do with the OS X install? When I am running the Windows SSD does the OS X HDD just sleep and get woken when I use any connected devices such as keyboard or mouse? Is there a method to track down the reason such as some logged data or anything else? I realise that I probably should not be throwing out my ill informed theories, I just don't like to be so passive in these situations and really would like to learn how to sort at least some of this stuff out for myself.
If you are booted into Windows OS X is not going to be doing anything as it is not operational - it is just data on a drive.
If it is not Windows indexing, then it could also be something to do with pre-fetch activity. Suggest a bit of research.

Motherboard
GA H77N
CPU
i3 3225
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Okay I'll do some research on this... to be honest I will be searching online using the words you have provided (do you have any other terminology to add?), also should I be searching with regards to OS X or windows?

Going Bald

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Classic Mac
iMac
Okay I'll do some research on this... to be honest I will be searching online using the words you have provided (do you have any other terminology to add?), also should I be searching with regards to OS X or windows?
Take a look at task scheduler. Also check to see if you have auto defrag enabled. If you do, Win10 defragger will run the HDD defrag app after 5 minutes (I think it is 5) of idle with no KB input or mouse movement.

Motherboard
Lenovo Mahobay
CPU
Intel Core i5 2400
Graphics
GTX 1050ti
Mac
MacBook
Finally got my dual boot working! Windows 10 Pro + 10.12.2 Sierra. So stoked!

Motherboard
HP 8300 USFF
CPU
i3-3225
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
I installed MAC OS and ran multi boot. Anyway to reverse the changes or should I just start from scratch?

Motherboard
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Classic, iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello.

Trying for a dual-boot Win/MacOS machine, on two SSDs.

I have a refurbished HP 8300 Elite w/ GTX 1050ti GPU. The machine SSD came with windows 10 installed but it was legacy. I re installed Windows non-legacy and it works, but there’s a catch.

I have a 2nd SSD with Sierra. It works, too. But there’s another catch.

When I’m in Windows then restart, or shut down then re-boot, Clover does not load. It goes straight to Windows. If I disconnect the Win SSD I get Clover back, and I see my MacOS SSD.

If I then shut down, re-connect the Win SSD and boot, I get Clover with both Win and MacOS.

If I ONLY boot MacOS, I consistently get Clover. But if I choose Windows, it boots fine - but as soon as I restart I lose Clover, and it boots straight into Windows again. I have to shut down and disconnect the Win SSDS to get Clover back again.

I did my best to follow the guide on building on an HP 8300 Elite, but I have no idea how to solve this.

Suggestions?

Last edited: