Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to Dual Boot Windows and OS X

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
My motherboard is UEFI. How do I go about partitioning and installing Win 10 in a new partiton on the SSD my OSX is currently running?

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1 BIOS F7
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
My motherboard is UEFI. How do I go about partitioning and installing Win 10 in a new partiton on the SSD my OSX is currently running?
In disk utility, shrink your current partition to allow free space for a Windows partition. Format this space OS X Extended (Journaled) as if you were going to install OS X.

Boot the Windows installer and select the partition, click on the advanced button, delete the partition to free space and click on continue and install - Windows will create its own partitions and format them.

I really recommend you get a separate drive for Windows - it will save you from :banghead::banghead: later when you go to update/upgrade either OS.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Disconnect the Windows drive. Backup, Backup, BACKUP your HDD data because you need to reformat the HDD.
Is Windows installed Legacy mode or UEFI? Can't say a thing for sure with no data on hardware, either, so follow the rules and put your hardware in your profile and/or create a sig.
Sorry, i'll create a sign.

Anyway, i't's legacy mode.

My hardware:
Mobo: Asus Z97-K ATX
Processor: Intel 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz
HD: 1 SDD (Win 10), 3 HDD (storage)

Thanks,

[h=1][/h]

Going Bald

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Classic Mac
iMac
Sorry, i'll create a sign.

Anyway, i't's legacy mode.

My hardware:
Mobo: Asus Z97-K ATX
Processor: Intel 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz
HD: 1 SDD (Win 10), 3 HDD (storage)

Thanks,
For any version of OS X up through Yosemite you can use the Sticky: [Guide] at the beginning of this forum and dual boot using Chimera as your boot loader.
For using Clover and El Capitan best you get a separate drive. Otherwise see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html for a taste of problems installing on same drive with Windows.
It can be done - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-yosemite/143675-guide-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html and just ignore the laptop specific items if you are installing on a desktop.

Motherboard
GA Z97M-D3H
CPU
i3-4370
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
SE
Mobile Phone
Android
MR. Bald,

I would like to dual boot OS X El Capitan and Ubuntu Linux using Clover UEFI method. And I would prefer to have Linux on the same drive as OS X.

I've got OS X going at the moment, but am uncertain how to deal with the Linux/Grub install. I had both on the same SSD booting with Chimera, but Clover and UEFI are new things for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or perhaps you could just link me to a good tutorial.

Going Bald

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Classic Mac
iMac
MR. Bald,

I would like to dual boot OS X El Capitan and Ubuntu Linux using Clover UEFI method. And I would prefer to have Linux on the same drive as OS X.

I've got OS X going at the moment, but am uncertain how to deal with the Linux/Grub install. I had both on the same SSD booting with Chimera, but Clover and UEFI are new things for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or perhaps you could just link me to a good tutorial.
New guide coming - hope to have it posted by end of month.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
For any version of OS X up through Yosemite you can use the Sticky: [Guide] at the beginning of this forum and dual boot using Chimera as your boot loader.
For using Clover and El Capitan best you get a separate drive. Otherwise see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html for a taste of problems installing on same drive with Windows.
It can be done - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-yosemite/143675-guide-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html and just ignore the laptop specific items if you are installing on a desktop.
Ok, but why i have to reformat the HDD?
I can't create a partition on an HDD, disconnect the windows ssd drive (to preserve and keep it booting) and install yosemite or el capitan on the hdd's new partition?
And, of course, reconnecting the win sdd at the end.

Thanks!

Going Bald

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Classic Mac
iMac
Ok, but why i have to reformat the HDD?
I can't create a partition on an HDD, disconnect the windows ssd drive (to preserve and keep it booting) and install yosemite or el capitan on the hdd's new partition?
And, of course, reconnecting the win sdd at the end.

Thanks!
You must have GUID partition tables and OS X Extended (Journaled) format (aka GPT+) to install OS X on your HDD - which is probably formatted Master Boot Record (aka MBR) and NTFS for Windows or might even be formatted MS DOS FAT32.
So you need to reformat the drive if you want to install OS X. Therefore, if you want to keep whatever is on your HDD, back it up somewhere secure before you reformat the HDD or lose your data when you reformat the HDD.

You might want to think about a 128GB SSD for OS X.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
You must have GUID partition tables and OS X Extended (Journaled) format (aka GPT+) to install OS X on your HDD - which is probably formatted Master Boot Record (aka MBR) and NTFS for Windows or might even be formatted MS DOS FAT32.
So you need to reformat the drive if you want to install OS X. Therefore, if you want to keep whatever is on your HDD, back it up somewhere secure before you reformat the HDD or lose your data when you reformat the HDD.

You might want to think about a 128GB SSD for OS X.
Ok, thanks man!

CPU
Core i7
Graphics
GTX 850
No Problem! I hope it works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.
hi just there is a question when i already installed win 10 can i install mac on the other part of hard without deleting win10 and also i have laptop there is no problem to install on it k550j (asus) ???