Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to Dual Boot Windows and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
MR. Bald,

I would like to dual boot OS X El Capitan and Ubuntu Linux using Clover UEFI method. And I would prefer to have Linux on the same drive as OS X.

I've got OS X going at the moment, but am uncertain how to deal with the Linux/Grub install. I had both on the same SSD booting with Chimera, but Clover and UEFI are new things for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or perhaps you could just link me to a good tutorial.

MR. Bald,

I would like to dual boot OS X El Capitan and Ubuntu Linux using Clover UEFI method. And I would prefer to have Linux on the same drive as OS X.

I've got OS X going at the moment, but am uncertain how to deal with the Linux/Grub install. I had both on the same SSD booting with Chimera, but Clover and UEFI are new things for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or perhaps you could just link me to a good tutorial.

New guide coming - hope to have it posted by end of month.

For any version of OS X up through Yosemite you can use the Sticky: [Guide] at the beginning of this forum and dual boot using Chimera as your boot loader.
For using Clover and El Capitan best you get a separate drive. Otherwise see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html for a taste of problems installing on same drive with Windows.
It can be done - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html and just ignore the laptop specific items if you are installing on a desktop.

Ok, but why i have to reformat the HDD?
I can't create a partition on an HDD, disconnect the windows ssd drive (to preserve and keep it booting) and install yosemite or el capitan on the hdd's new partition?
And, of course, reconnecting the win sdd at the end.

Thanks!

Ok, but why i have to reformat the HDD?
I can't create a partition on an HDD, disconnect the windows ssd drive (to preserve and keep it booting) and install yosemite or el capitan on the hdd's new partition?
And, of course, reconnecting the win sdd at the end.

Thanks!

You must have GUID partition tables and OS X Extended (Journaled) format (aka GPT+) to install OS X on your HDD - which is probably formatted Master Boot Record (aka MBR) and NTFS for Windows or might even be formatted MS DOS FAT32.
So you need to reformat the drive if you want to install OS X. Therefore, if you want to keep whatever is on your HDD, back it up somewhere secure before you reformat the HDD or lose your data when you reformat the HDD.

You might want to think about a 128GB SSD for OS X.

You must have GUID partition tables and OS X Extended (Journaled) format (aka GPT+) to install OS X on your HDD - which is probably formatted Master Boot Record (aka MBR) and NTFS for Windows or might even be formatted MS DOS FAT32.
So you need to reformat the drive if you want to install OS X. Therefore, if you want to keep whatever is on your HDD, back it up somewhere secure before you reformat the HDD or lose your data when you reformat the HDD.

You might want to think about a 128GB SSD for OS X.

Ok, thanks man!

No Problem! I hope it works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

hi just there is a question when i already installed win 10 can i install mac on the other part of hard without deleting win10 and also i have laptop there is no problem to install on it k550j (asus) ???

I have a query concerning dual boot, mine is all good and functioning I just want to ask if it is normal and okay for the drive that is not in use to spin up and run randomly? I have sierra installed on a HDD and windows 10 on an SSD, when using windows the HDD sometimes powers on and runs for a while, sometimes until I turn off the computer. Is this something to be worried about (other than power use and disk wear and tear)? Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

I have a query concerning dual boot, mine is all good and functioning I just want to ask if it is normal and okay for the drive that is not in use to spin up and run randomly? I have sierra installed on a HDD and windows 10 on an SSD, when using windows the HDD sometimes powers on and runs for a while, sometimes until I turn off the computer. Is this something to be worried about (other than power use and disk wear and tear)? Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?
This is probably Windows 10 Search Indexing service, similar to OS X SpotLight. You can disable it from Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services or type services.msc in the Start->Run box and hit enter.

This is probably Windows 10 Search Indexing service, similar to OS X SpotLight. You can disable it from Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services or type services.msc in the Start->Run box and hit enter.

I tried this and disabled 'Windows services' after following the path you gave me. Unfortunately this has not changed anything. Is there maybe something to do with the OS X install? When I am running the Windows SSD does the OS X HDD just sleep and get woken when I use any connected devices such as keyboard or mouse? Is there a method to track down the reason such as some logged data or anything else? I realise that I probably should not be throwing out my ill informed theories, I just don't like to be so passive in these situations and really would like to learn how to sort at least some of this stuff out for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back