6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first guide. I hope that someone can find it helpful. It is written with lots of explanation in hopes that it will be easy to follow for anyone.

I have attached a PDF that has this same guide with tons of pictures to illustrate it.

This guide will show you how to install Windows and Mountain Lion to dual boot on a single hard drive and get them running perfectly.

The Gigabyte Motherboard H61M-DS2 is probably the cheapest motherboard that can run OS X mountain lion perfectly (After Multibeast). Buy the motherboard from Newegg ($56 CAD):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128527

Required:
- Gigabyte motherboard (I'm using the H61M-DS2 F7 Firmware)
A Computer already running OS X with internet access (real mac or other hackintosh)
Windows DVD

In this guide I am using the following components:
- Gigabyte H61M-DS2 motherboard F7 Firmware
- Intel Core i3 3220 Ivy Bridge
- 1 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
- 8 GB (2x4) 1333 MHz RAM
I will be using Windows 7 for this Guide, but the process is the same for Windows 8

Step 1: Bios UEFI

The first thing you want to do is press DEL while starting the computer to get into the BIOS. Make sure your SATA is set to AHCI. After that save and exit.

Step 2: Setting up the USB for installation

2.a On your other computer running OS X plug in a USB that is 8 GB or Bigger and open Disk Utility.

2.b Click on your USB Drive (not the partition) then make sure that it is set to make one partition. Change the format to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) In this Guide we will name the USB “Install OS X”. Click Apply.

2.c On your other computer running OS X download the latest UniBeast for Mountain Lion from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads

2.d Go into the App Store and purchase and download OS X Mountain lion for $19.99

2.e Once it has downloaded make sure that it is in your Applications folder. If it is (it should be by default) unzip and run UniBeast. Install it to your USB Drive. It will say that it is only going to take 3 minutes or so, but it might actually take a lot longer. It is normal for it to take up to 30 Minutes depending on the USB Stick and Computer.
After it finishes your USB Stick will be ready to go.

Step 3: Setting up the hard drive on the new Hackintosh

Before we can install either Mac OS X or Windows we need to Partition the Hard drive so that Windows and OS X both are bootable from the Chimera Bootloader.

3.a Next you will want to boot off of the USB stick we just prepared by hitting F12 as the System starts and selecting the USB Stick. A boot loader will come up and you will have the option to select “Install OS X”. Select it and the mountain lion installer will load. You then Click the Arrow.

3.b On the next screen, click Utilities and go to Disk Utility.

3.c In Disk Utility first click the Hard Drive we are installing to (the Hard drive, not the Partitions under it if any). Then set the Partition Layout to “2 Partitions”. In this guide I am dividing the drive 50/50 for Windows and OS X, but you can change the size of either partition to whatever you want.

Click on Options and make sure it is set to GUID Partition Table. Name the Top Partition “Macintosh HD” and change the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Name the bottom Partition “BOOTCAMP” and set the format to MS-DOS (FAT). Then Click Apply.

3.d Once it is finished formatting the Hard Drive, Power Off the System.

Step 4. Installing The Operating Systems

Now that the Hard drive is formatted the way we need it, it’s time to install the Operating systems.

4.a To get the computer to boot both or the operating systems from the boot loader, we need to start with windows. Insert your Windows DVD and boot from it. It will load the regular Windows installer. When you get to the option of “upgrade” or “Custom (advanced)” click Custom (advanced)

4.b Next click on your “BOOTCAMP” Partition and select Drive Options. Click Format and then Next. Windows will now start to install. The computer will restart once or twice throughout the installation. from this point on its just a regular windows installation. To save time I am assuming you know how to set up windows.

4.c Get your windows set up how you like and install all of the Drivers.

4.d Now that windows is ready to go restart your computer and boot off your prepared USB Stick once again. Select “Install OS X” when the option appears. When it finished booting into the installer click the arrow, then next and accept the agreement until it asks you where to install OS X. Select “Macintosh HD” and click install.

Step 5: Making Mac OS X Bootable and Fully Functional

5.a When the computer restarts hit F12 and Boot from the USB Stick Again. This time when the bootloader appears select “Mackintosh HD”. It will now boot the newly installed OS X Mountain Lion.

5.b Go through the very straightforward first run setup (enter your name and password etc.) Then Click Start Using OS X.

5.c On your other computer with internet access download MultiBeast for Mountain Lion. Download it here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads

And then download the latest combo update for Mountain Lion here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

5.d Unzip MultiBeast and save the app to a USB as well as the combo update (it can be the USB you booted the hackintosh from, but be sure to eject it properly from the hackintosh first. click on finder which is the first icon in your dock and find the USB in the sidebar, then click the eject button).

5.e Once the files are copied to the USB, plug the usb back into the new hackintosh. click on finder in your dock and navigate to your USB stick. Copy the combo update and the MultiBeast folder to your desktop. Install the combo update by double clicking it on your desktop. When it finishes installing the update DO NOT click Restart. Now While the installer is still open, click on the apple at the top left and select “about this mac”. Make sure it says 10.8.2.

5.f If the About This Mac box says 10.8.2 then open MultiBeast off of your desktop. In MultiBeast Select the Following Options for this motherboard. If you are using a different motherboard from the one I am you will have to figure out what needs to be selected for that board, likely EasyBeast + whatever drivers and options that board takes. If you are using a NVIDIA GTX 650 Video card Select GraphicsEnabler=No from under Customization as well.

UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation is selected because this board supports the proper power management for OS X. Then under audio select Realtek ALC8xx because the audio chip on this board falls under that category. Select Without DSDT Because we are not using a DSDT File. Click ALC887/888b because that is the exact chip we have, then from there install the current one because this board isn't super old. Under Disk select 3rd Party SATA because otherwise your hard drives will show up to the system as external Disks. Under network select Lynx2Mac’s RealtekRTL81xx because that will enable the ethernet on the board.

5.g You will get another installer pop up for the Ethernet. Just install it like you normally would with anything else. Once MultiBeast finishes installing everything restart the computer and take the USB Stick out of the computer.

When the computer restarts you should have something that looks like this. (minus the changed wallpaper, Settings, and Applications I have installed already)

Step 6: Using the Bootloader

Now when the computer starts you will have 3 seconds to push an arrow key to access windows before it automatically starts OS X.

6.a When your computer starts it should now load the bootloader automatically. press an arrow key on your keyboard before the timer runs out on the bootloader to access the option to boot into windows.

6.b Select Windows to makes sure it boots up. It should.

6.c Select OS X to make sure it boots up as well. It also should.

6.d If they both boot up then You are now Finished! Yay!

Step 7: Extra Tips

7.a If you are using a NVIDIA Fermi or Kepler Graphics card Such as the GTX 650 install the Official NVIDIA Driver so that it recognizes the Graphics card’s name Properly. Download the Driver Here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Now when you click More Information on the About this Mac tab, it will display the correct name for the Video Card and it should run better.

7.b To get your Clock to be the same time in Windows and Mac OS X you need to boot up windows. Click start and type regedit and hit enter. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation

Right click on the white space on the right and create a new 32-bit DWORD. Name it “RealTimeIsUniversal” then set it’s value to 1.

Now when you boot Mac OS X set the right time, then from now on every time you boot windows you will have the correct time as well.

Thank you for using my Guide, I hope it was useful to you. If it was please click recommend at the top!

Attachments

• Guide with Pictures.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 19,467
Thanks for the Guide, it was helpful to me however I am having issues with the bootloader. I dont have one at the start.

I've been able to install both ML and Win7 on 1 SSD drive.
I can run either system if I boot into my USB drive first.
If I remove the USB drive, I don't get the multibeast screen at the begining, it just start into Win 7.
I tried installing Chameleon but that does not show up when I start my system.
If you have any ideas, it would be very helpful.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the guide, I plan on giving this a try!

Thanks for the Guide, it was helpful to me however I am having issues with the bootloader. I dont have one at the start.

If I remove the USB drive, I don't get the MultiBeast screen at the beginning, it just start into Win 7.

Thanks again!

Hi, I would suggest booting into Mac OS any way you can (so from the USB) then install the latest chimera. http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads

When you install it make sure it installs to the drive you have set as the first boot drive in your BIOS. Hope that helps.

If I remove the USB drive, I don't get the multibeast screen at the begining, it just start into Win 7.

Thanks again!

Also did you install Mac OS before installing Windows?

Thanks for the guide, I plan on giving this a try!

No Problem! I hope it works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

hi thanks for the guide, ive installed all the drivers for windows 7 but now it wont let me boot into my unibeast usb drive please help:banghead:

update: managed to boot into the drive but now when i try to boot into the installed version of ML it will just come up with the turning wheel and the grey apple logo, please help!

I have an SSD that was partitioned and has ML 10.8.2 on it. The ML partition takes the whole drive, so there is no free space left. Can I shrink this partition and still add Windows 7?

you can save more time and avoid troubles if u use separate drives for windows and osx.Install the OSX first and just format the windows drive as fat32 under disk utility in your hackintosh.then just disconnect the osx drive and install the windows in fat32 drive (anyway u have to format the drive as NTFS during the installation and remember don't delete just format the drive)after completing the windows installation connect the OSX drive back. and make sure in bios the osx drive is booting first.that's it you can make your selection of OS in the chimera screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back