Contribute
Register

Beginner Advice - first build completed, but have questions on addressing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64 LE
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, thanks to these wonderful resources I've completed my first build. I followed the guide to the letter, and stuck with approved components for my build. El Capitain is up and running and it was a smooth process. Where I'm stuck, however, is with adding kexts/patches. I'm clueless...

Issues:
  1. USB is not working properly.
  2. Motherboard audio is not working, but the audio jack on the case is working.
  3. IOgear Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle is displaying some erratic behavior. Possibly due to USB not yet working properly?

• Mouse behaves erratically. Slow/lagging, and if you pick up the mouse the pointer moves to top left corner of screen automatically.
  • Sometimes scrolling doesn't work.
  • Bluetooth keyboard can wake up the machine from sleep, but will take about 45-60 seconds before it allows me to type in my password.
  • Using Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse.
  • For now a basic USB keyboard and mouse are working with no issues.

I have read loads of information on what to do about fixing those items, but I don't see how I go about doing any of it in Multibeast. I know I'm probably missing some key element that I've overlooked somewhere on this site, but I am scratching my head.

I'm generally very self sufficient with these types of things, and I've been struggling for the last 48 hours on this one. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

I'll answer any clarifying questions. I just want to get this thing running right!

Hi all, thanks to these wonderful resources I've completed my first build. I followed the guide to the letter, and stuck with approved components for my build. El Capitain is up and running and it was a smooth process. Where I'm stuck, however, is with adding kexts/patches. I'm clueless...

Issues:
  1. USB is not working properly.
  2. Motherboard audio is not working, but the audio jack on the case is working.
  3. IOgear Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle is displaying some erratic behavior. Possibly due to USB not yet working properly?

• Mouse behaves erratically. Slow/lagging, and if you pick up the mouse the pointer moves to top left corner of screen automatically.
  • Sometimes scrolling doesn't work.
  • Bluetooth keyboard can wake up the machine from sleep, but will take about 45-60 seconds before it allows me to type in my password.
  • Using Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse.
  • For now a basic USB keyboard and mouse are working with no issues.

I have read loads of information on what to do about fixing those items, but I don't see how I go about doing any of it in Multibeast. I know I'm probably missing some key element that I've overlooked somewhere on this site, but I am scratching my head.

I'm generally very self sufficient with these types of things, and I've been struggling for the last 48 hours on this one. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

I'll answer any clarifying questions. I just want to get this thing running right!

I'd wager that almost all those problems are due to USB not working correctly, and there's (usually) a simple fix. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/179056-usb-fixes.html#post1152921.

The audio problem isn't something I'm familiar with - probably best to post a thread in Post Installation > Audio about it (along with the requested documentation).

I'd wager that almost all those problems are due to USB not working correctly, and there's (usually) a simple fix. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/179056-usb-fixes.html#post1152921.

The audio problem isn't something I'm familiar with - probably best to post a thread in Post Installation > Audio about it (along with the requested documentation).

Thanks for the quick response! I saw that and I want to try it out, only I have no idea where or how to install those files. That's really what my question is.

Install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext from the
latest distribution here. Put them in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/... on your USB or system boot drive.

That part is a mystery to me. How do it put them in EFI/Clover/kexts? On usb or system boot drive? I don't know how to do that. Stupid question but for some reason that is unclear to me.

Is this done in Multibeast? Do I need another application to do this? I have read everything, but this must have gotten by me. If there's a link you can point me to I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response! I saw that and I want to try it out, only I have no idea where or how to install those files. That's really what my question is.

That part is a mystery to me. How do it put them in EFI/Clover/kexts? On usb or system boot drive? I don't know how to do that. Stupid question but for some reason that is unclear to me.

Is this done in Multibeast? Do I need another application to do this? I have read everything, but this must have gotten by me. If there's a link you can point me to I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

The easiest way to install those two kexts is to download KextBeast (from its Downloads link on this forum), put the kexts on your Desktop, and then run KextBeast; it will properly install them in either /S/L/E or /L/E (choose the latter with El Capitan), and then reboot. Forget the instructions about putting them in EFI/Clover/kexts (though that's also an option, but not one I personally favor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back