Contribute
Register

Before installation thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sent a request to HP asking about it. Will post back when have an answer.

I just sent a request to HP asking about it. Will post back when have an answer.

AtlantaMusicGuy

Well you didn't have to go that far

Goggle is you friend and this is what I found for you system ( if this is your System) Did a search on these terms - "HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1540 specs" Got to this link
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03668424
Which has a table for the CPU upgrade that you can use.

I found this link for your system - has a picture of the Motherboard
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03668424#N90

Found this link on the motherboard - which is a "H-Joshua-H61" - the H61 is the integrated chipset that is one of the key elements we need to know about.

Here is the description...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03135925&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N444

As to upgrading CPU's this motherboard will support both certain types of Sandy Bridge as well as Ivy Bridge CPU's

What concerns me is this unit from HP supports both CPU types - which is fine for Windows but not for OSX -
As the Motherboard has a H61 chipset that was designed around Sandy Bridge it would be better to find a Sandy Bridge CPU w HD 3000 GFX built into them But these CPU's are harder to find. Search Ebay as well.

Here is a link for the specs on the Intel H61 chipset that you have note this page states that this chip was designed for 2nd Gen CPU - Sandy Bridge.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/h61-express-chipset.html

Mixing the 2nd generation chipsets like the H61 with the 3rd generation CPU's is a problem for OSX. (as fas as for Snow Leopard which is my point of reference)

Now for the subsystems - the audio is a problem as HP used this Audio codec: IDT 92HD73E - this will require you to use VOODOOHDA
for sound we do not have a sound solution in MultiBeast for this Codex. ( we do include some of the Voodoo sound kexts with MultiBeast).
See this link for info
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/158172-solved-idt-92hd73e-dp45sg-audio/

Wifi - this system comes w a RALINK have height PCI express half-length mini card - this card is the RT5390 and I am not finding support for this in Snow Leo - so this maybe needing a replacement to a PCI express half-length mini card that works w Snow Leo.

LAN - this system comes w a RALINK RTL8171FH-CG network chip on the motherboard - again this is not supported in SL and maybe a problem as I am not finding many solutions for this chipset for SL at this time

Most likey this hardware Sound Wifi and Network are chips that are to new and the Hack community has not solved how to integrate these into the OSX platform.

Now the question is would this be a better hardware platform to support Mountain Lion from that Snow Leo.

Also as to the organal question as to which CPU to use I think the i3 -3225 but this is not a CPU that will run Snow Leo - but will run Mountain Lion.

I just finished a long email to HP. Don’t wanna go into details about it but for what we need here, I sent two request, in the first I asked about the processor upgrade (i3-3245) because it was launched after this machine was built, but according to its nomenclature it is included in the possible upgrades. In the second one I resend the same but added just a line regarding to BIOS update after processor installation.

I got two reply from the same person (2 hr gap), in the first one is stated that it supports this processor upgrades
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...tegory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5358032#N60
where as we know are the specs full list and upgrades. (Thanks for your time/links, that’s where I have been looking for to post my shots, but the real conclusion/help came from you guys)

In the second one he narrows my choices to:
-------------------
Intel Core i5-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core up to 35W
Intel Core i5-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core up to 45W
Intel Core i5-3xxxS (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core up to 65W
Intel Core i5-3xxxP (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core (onboard graphics not supported) up to 69W
Intel Core i5-3xxx (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core up to 77W
Intel Core i5-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Quad Core up to 95W
Intel Core i7-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Quad Core up to 95W
--------------------------

No i3 included whatsoever.
And to the BIOS question (I guess) the answer is:

------------------------------
“Once you upgrade the processor if you feel any issue then please inform us so that we can assist you accordingly.
I would also like to provide you a link to view the procedure to upgrade the processor:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...foCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5358032
----------------------------

So, what I can gather is that I should first decide which processor to upgrade to and install it to see how the BIOS behave. Once up and running on windows 8 should be easy (?) to move to OSX. I know that’s no warranty it’s gonna work but then at least I tried it. The “procedure to upgrade the processor” has no BIOS mention, it ends with “Turn on the computer and test for functionality”.

Thanks a lot guys for your support, as I said I am not a PC/Windows guy and not actually into OSX as OS neither, but iMac is my platform of choice. Have forgot how life is outside Mac world. And some times even when we can’t judge a whole company because of one person instinctively that’s difficult in practice. Now I understand why more and more people prefer build their own machines, I guess that’s where tech future leads to, opens systems, open OS’s, own built machines, and that’s where sites like this fall right into place. (I feel like an intruder as I am not into building a PC but an OEM owner which can annoys users over here) This PC is less than a month old, built date is Q1’13, and at this point I have had a honest support here... don’t wanna talk about HP.

OK! Too much philosophy for a Saturday afternoon!

Well, based on your post I think my choice is i3-2125 (this is my list: i3-2105, i3-2125, i3-3225, i3-3245, i5-3475S, all HD3000/HD4000 and supported for this motherboard, there are no more outside this list as they are HD2000/HD2500; from this list I have to pick based on availability) and on that last email I asked HP give me a final answer about what’s supported. Again, to me that's a candidate list, but HP's (that one person) excluded i3 from it, if that's correct I am just screwed up for this project.

I hope to have the processor not later than a month from now. I’ll post back when ready, in the mean time if you have any thoughts post them. I don't know if I said Any. :)

p.s. I have an XL file with Intel specs for each processor, but I don't wanna post more images.

totenkopf4,

All confusion came to me when both Sandy/Ivy were available as upgrade, thinking on a hackintosh possible installation options. SL, L, ML…
Then the motherboard, couldn’t take Intel’s one because it’s foxconn manufactured under HP specifications. When I went to foxconn and going products/motherboards/Socket1155/, there is no model for it.

Closest match is http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000541 from the Socket1155 list, and that’s based on both pictures comparison (hp vs fox) , not a good advice.

At download center (to check drivers/BIOS updates) http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx after entering, Socket1155, H61, Model 2ADA which is this motherboard isn’t included. That’s when I went to HP. They just confirmed what I already knew from google, it is HP specific, and messing it with foxconn’s would void warranty.

I found this too http://www.ctechinfo.net/boards/foxconn/joshua.php caught my attention the footage note: The bios program has been altered to a Compaq or an HP specific version. It is not recommended to flash back to the original. If anyone does this successfully please notify us by email.

That’s when I went to you trying to understand what it takes. Now I have this misleading info about the processors from HP. I know we aren’t here talking about honey topping oat flakes, but my perception is that is harder because of the close and cryptic answers from HP.
And again, that’s a complicated situation, I wish just blame them and ask for a refund. But I have read a lot of post from users having a real hard time trying to switch their DAWS from windows “N” to 8, their drivers and support for their interfaces, not to mention ProTools itself. Some have been struggling over a year or more. And I didn’t. This HP went through it as silk, and I know is a humble one. And to be honest that’s what encouraged me to start this thread, thinking wouldn’t be that complicated if I already got my DAW stable since opening the box. Besides I need to upgrade the processor anyway. But well, just time will say, still waiting for HP.

totenkopf4,

Well, I got an email from HP:

-------------
Please accept my apology on behalf of hp technical support for all the inconvenience this have caused you.
I have checked the manual for your PC and gathered the information that your HP Pavilion Slim line s5-1540 Desktop PC is compatible with Intel Core i3-3245 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33245.
As you would also like to know that once you upgrade the processor where to find to update the BIOS. I would like to inform you that the BIOS have been released with the computer even you upgrade the processor the BIOS will work.

---------------

So, my conclusion is that if it is supported for the “unknown” i3-3245 Ivy (launched Q2'13) there shouldn’t be a problem with i3-2125 Sandy for this motherboard. About the BIOS you guys tell me, what I notice is

Internal Connectors

• 1x Front audio connector Mini-PCIE LED
  • 1x Mini-PCIE LED connector
  • 1x LPC debug connector
  • 1x Flash override connector
  • 1x USB 2.0 connector
  • 2x Dual-USB 2.0 connectors
  • 1x USB 3.0 connector
  • 1x Front panel connector
  • 4x Serial ATA connectors
  • 1x One touch reset connector
  • 1x One touch recovery connector
  • 1x BIOS recovery connector
  • 1x Hood sense connector
  • 1x Power supply connector
  • 1x CPU fan connector
  • 1x ATX 12V connector
  • 1x System FAN connector
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03135925

Also as I said in a previous post, there was a UEFI update last week, where it was needed to create a new partition called HP_TOOLS where apparently any previous (settings changed?) BIOS version is gonna be saved so in case anything goes wrong you can flash back to the previous stable BIOS version (I include an excerpt on that post). In that topic there are huge thread(s) at HP. These are the documents I read before joining this forum and I went through the whole application’s options and notice that almost all the required settings on your guides are default on this machine.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03801890&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=5330780&prodTypeId=12454&docLang=en

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03383166&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=5330780&prodTypeId=12454&docLang=en

Only thing missing is the HPET setting, but if I recall at the forums a tech-spec said it wasn't needed to switch it because was already enabled or something like that. I tried to find those posts but can't find them right now. I know that last week I found everything needed to change the BIOS setting but need to re-read your guides/forum.

Let me know if any thought or advice.

AtlantaMusicGuy

Glad to see that HP is communicating w you about certain options you can choose.

What you need to know is that the H61 Intel Chipset was designed for Sandy Bridge and as HP has indicated this hardware can use Ivy Bridge CPU's.

Most likely what has happened they (HP) has tweeked the BIOS file to handle this senario.

Many users in our forum have had issues w Mixed CPU and a Intel Chipset mismatch. Mixing SB w IB and vise versa!

If you are NEEDING TO STAY ON OSX Snow Leopard to run the software for Music - then I would say use the i3 2125. And it sounds like the current BIOS supports this. And avoid the issues of a mixed CPU and Chipset.

As to HPET most likely it is supported or enabled by default . Just need to check the bios or w HP.

S3 and AHCI are needed and are a must for OSX,

HP Compaq and other manufactures have use this Boot Partition for a recovery partition and other purposes for years I have several HP but I always use a spare HD to do any OSX hacking.

If you dual Booting on one Hard Drive you will need to wipe the hard drive and install Windows again. So that means you need to media to install it.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST a DUAL HARD DRIVE configuration. THis way you can setup test w/o screwing up the Windows install.

See if you can find a 2nd SATA Hard Drive to do this - a spare or an Old one (pull from a unused computer ) and not to large to test it all out. 200 to 500 GB will work.

You must understand that HP's answers are only provided with the understanding that your are running Windows not OSX. And that Windows has provisions for mixing CPU w the Chipset ( Ivy Bridge w Sandy Bridge) OSX is not that tolerant of mixed hardware.

Be advised that of the other limitations that I mentioned - about Sound - Network - we will have issues due to the Codex not being a standard that we support ( even though VOODOO does). And that this needs to be check out with your SOUND SOFTWARE. To make sure of that aspect.

I do believe that this MotherBoard is a Micro ATX form factor MB dimensionally speaking, You could see about a swap to a MB that meets you needs and use that in this HP case, but be aware that HP in designing their Motherboards makes changed to the way certain attachments connect to pin outs or Header Pins on the Motherboard. Such as Front panel lights On Off switch etc - these can be fixed but they may be above you abilities at this time.

If you are in the Atlanta Area see what MicoCenter has - always a good source.

Lesson learned!

I bought this machine on a budget, and even if I could afford a bigger one what I found is that as I go higher the PC comes with extra stuff/components that I don’t really care about but have to pay for, case in which I prefer to save on that and spend it on audio plug-ins/cards etc. Since bought I knew it needed cpu upgrade, and it supported power ones. By chance I found hackintosh.

Windows 8 has been pretty stable as part of my DAW so far, no issues installing FW400 card (drivers were actually included on w8), no issues installing audio interfaces drivers. Only issue is when running ProTools cpu usage is 85-99%. I knew that. But stills running it, have to tweak some preferences but stills running it.

I have an extra 250GB HDD, and -I think- everything needed to hackintosh this PC. But as you know, the sole purpose of it, is a DAW. No working DAW, no justification at all. And besides the total support I have got from you guys, that’s just the half (of this is my ****ty situation) being the other half HP (not only as a company but as an already built PC). Now I totally understand why it is better to build your own from scratch. You have all variables at hand, at your fingertips, you can tweak, re-tweak , flash back, etc at total freedom. You have forums like this one to support you during that whole process! I just have the half of it.

Building your own you don’t have to pay for weird things not into your interest. You built what you need with your selected components. That’s smart and the right way to do it. I learned the lesson. Now I know it is possible to have a powerful MacPro by less than half its price, and the higher I go the cheaper it will be! I know I’ll be back. So far, thanks for everything.

p.s. Yes I am in Atlanta, how did you know? :D

Yes I am in Atlanta, how did you know?

My Spider sense was tingling.....

Oh I took a shot at it cause of your name. :)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I googled Foxconn 2ADA hackintosh and came across this thread.

Im working on trying to hackintosh an HP P6-2326S. I used speccy to get the specs and heres the speccy file.... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/885/MAP-CS2.speccy

The MOBO shows it is a Foxconn 2ADA with a sandy Bridge Rev09 chipset (southbridge H61 rev B3). Processor is a Pentium G645 @ 2.9ghz. Graphics card shows up as "2050W on Intel HD Graphics" (I think its an Intell HD 2000?) The device ID for the graphics chip shows 8086-0102.

I got OSX installed no problem using Unibeast method. I can boot into OSX via safe mode and graphics will show ok, but not full resolution and no audio. I have been experimenting for a couple days and am getting frustrated. Is there any way to get the graphics working fully and the audio or am I out of luck? I extracted the DSDT from windows side using Aida 64 - heres the DSDT.... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/885/dsdt.aml

Other question... if I cant get them working do you think it would work if I just bought another graphics card and stick it in the PCI expansion slot? I was looking at this card on amazon for only $40 and it appears it should work with OSX out of the box? http://amzn.com/B0085MQNX8

Sorry for all the newb questions - hoping someone can help me. Thanks.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I googled Foxconn 2ADA hackintosh and came across this thread.

Im working on trying to hackintosh an HP P6-2326S. I used speccy to get the specs and heres the speccy file.... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/885/MAP-CS2.speccy

The MOBO shows it is a Foxconn 2ADA with a sandy Bridge Rev09 chipset (southbridge H61 rev B3). Processor is a Pentium G645 @ 2.9ghz. Graphics card shows up as "2050W on Intel HD Graphics" (I think its an Intell HD 2000?) The device ID for the graphics chip shows 8086-0102.

I got OSX installed no problem using Unibeast method. I can boot into OSX via safe mode and graphics will show ok, but not full resolution and no audio. I have been experimenting for a couple days and am getting frustrated. Is there any way to get the graphics working fully and the audio or am I out of luck? I extracted the DSDT from windows side using Aida 64 - heres the DSDT.... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/885/dsdt.aml

Other question... if I cant get them working do you think it would work if I just bought another graphics card and stick it in the PCI expansion slot? I was looking at this card on amazon for only $40 and it appears it should work with OSX out of the box? http://amzn.com/B0085MQNX8

Sorry for all the newb questions - hoping someone can help me. Thanks.

itpfreak

Its not nice to hi-jack a thread... or fool Mother Nature...

But since its related to the HP tread we will let it slide...

Not able to read the Spicey file - sorry. But if your looking to run SL on this system.
Some points to point out.
Not sure what that CPU is but i think its just one of the Pentium G series.
What you should get ( used ) is A sandy Bridge CPU w HD300 GFX built in - these are not in production at Intel so the EBAY market is your source or a computer recycler.

A list of the CPU options that HP supported are listed here -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03509229&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N213

note that you have a max power of 95 Watts so upper end CPU's like Quad Core or Overclock K series CPU's should be avoided.

Why - you don't want to burn out the PSU (power supply) of the computer or over heat the motherboard. Also your H61 chipset has no support for K chips or overclocking. So whats the point.

When you find and purchase a replacement CPU - If you have HD3000 GFX on the chip (which you currently do not as your chip is a Pentium G series) then no GFX Card is needed. IF you cant find a CPU w that spec - or a CPU w HD2500 then you need a GFX card.

DO NOT get a Ivy Bridge CPU. The H61 chipset will work w it in windows but not in OSX.

Ok sound - most likely you will need to use Voodoo for the sound driver.
Here is a related link on another site that lists this chipset.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/158172-solved-idt-92hd73e-dp45sg-audio/

As for network - this is most likely an unsupported chipset so you will need to use a dedicated lan card which will consume one of the slots. If you plan to use the PCIe-16 slot then you will need to get a network card that is PCIe-1 - Intel has some !
Would not even venture into wifi at this time.

Going forward I think sound and network will still be problematic in Mavericks as well..

As to Hackintoshing this computer its possible but its not a walk in the park and your milage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back