Contribute
Register

Been using win 10 for 6 months want mac sierra for final cut pro need help with dual booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using windows 10 for 6 months now and I plan to keep it as my main os, I want to be able to boot into mac os if I want to edit some vids in final cut pro, Like I said earlier I will be mostly using windows 10.

My situation

I have a 120 gb ssd with windows 10 installed and I have a 1 tb hdd filled about 500 gb of windows programs. Let me make it clear that the whole windows os is on the ssd not the hdd the only thing on the hdd is games etc. I don't want to buy another drive so could I partition 500 gb of the hdd for mac os sierra and my mac programs. Will it be risky what's the worst possible thing that could happen? There is nothing on the hdd that would make me mad if I lose.

When I turn on my pc I want to easily be able to select Windows 10 or Mac os by selecting the drive. What do I need to be able to do this.

My pc specs

i7 4790k

gtx 970

16 gb of ram

1 120 gb ss

1 1tb hdd

msi gaming 3 motherboard.

I am more than happy to provide any other information needed.

Any Help Will be valued greatly Thanks in advance.

How much space is occupied with files on the 1TB HDD? Can you move the files temporarily to the SSD?
Otherwise, if the 1TB HDD is not formatted GPT+ you will lose all of the files when you reformat the drive for OS X.
Is your Win10 installed UEFI or Legacy?

See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

Suggest you format the drive for OS X, then add a partition with OS X disk utility for your Windows files. Format this partition same as for OS X.

Once OS X is installed, reboot to Windows and format the partition for Windows files as NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back