Contribute
Register

beelzebozo's Skylake Build: ASUS Z170 Deluxe i7-6700K 32GB AMD RX 5700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great guide beelzebozo!

I've managed to get my CustoMac build up and running in a breeze using your guide :D.

There are two things that aren't working entirely as expected:
- 5GHz WiFi: I can see 5Ghz wifi networks, but when I connect to them I loose internet connectivity.
- Handoff: I don't see the handoff option in the General section of System Preferences. Edit: I managed to get handoff working after another re-install and running the patch script again. However, the 5GHz WiFi issue persists.

I've run the Wireless BCM 94352_110 v4.0 Patch script as per your guide and selected option 3. Do you have any ideas what may be the cause of these issues?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
urpwsvr

My configuration:

Asus Z170-DELUXE
Intel Core i7 6700K Processor
Corsair Hydro Series H45

Ballistix Elite 16 GB (8 GB x 2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300)
Corsair CX550M Semi-Modular Power Supply Unit
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Computer Case

Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s x4 SSD (2280) AHCI

Not sure about your WIFI issue.

Try: Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  1. Select the following files: com.apple.airport.preferences.plist. ...
  2. Copy these files in a safe location so that if anything gets messed up, you can easily restore them.
  3. Delete the files.
  4. Reboot your Mac and enable Wi-Fi again.

Not sure about your WIFI issue.

Try: Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  1. Select the following files: com.apple.airport.preferences.plist. ...
  2. Copy these files in a safe location so that if anything gets messed up, you can easily restore them.
  3. Delete the files.
  4. Reboot your Mac and enable Wi-Fi again.

I've deleted the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, but there was no difference after rebooting. The strange thing is that it shows as if it has connected to the 5G network, but when I actually try to access a website in safari, the connection drops after a timeout of 10 seconds or so.

I used this guide on my newest build and it has worked near perfect with a Z170 Deluxe, 6600K and GTX970 I have only one problem. If I change my system definition to any of the iMac definitions I get a black screen when I lot in. I have to either remote into the computer or restart and manually edit the SMBIOS settings to get in. Currently I am forced to have the system as a Mac Pro 3,1 which I am sure is causing some Power management issues.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

I used this guide on my newest build and it has worked near perfect with a Z170 Deluxe, 6600K and GTX970 I have only one problem. If I change my system definition to any of the iMac definitions I get a black screen when I lot in. I have to either remote into the computer or restart and manually edit the SMBIOS settings to get in. Currently I am forced to have the system as a Mac Pro 3,1 which I am sure is causing some Power management issues.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?
Kwelz, I had a similar issue and got it solved by disabling CSM in BIOS.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dell-u3415w-boots-to-power-saving-mode.192109/#post-1246548

So I had this build up and running reasonably stable, then I realised that I had a 15,1 SysDef on. I changed it to 17,1 for my skyline build. Everything else was untouched but now my system will wake up randomly and when i log in I have the 'computer has restarted because of a problem'. Im going nuts trying to figure it out. Apple RTC is on, I have wake on LAN disabled in BIOS as well as wake for network activity in preferences.

Any idea?

Cheers.

Edit: In the report of the issue, all I get from it is Event: Sleep Wake Failure.

Just wanted to up this now that Sierra is officially supported. After a fresh install Im still having sleep problems. Occasionally safari crashes if I left the computer on for a while too!

Going nuts :(
Ive got the same SSDT file in patched as in the OP too.
Thing is, everything worked fine on my 15,1 SMBIOS but my build is identical to the OP build here in processor and it should be working.

Hi @beelzebozo

Thank you very much for this guide! I'm new to Mac, having decided to switch from Windows recently. Since Apple didn't refresh the iMac in last week's presentation, I'm going for one of the new MacBook Pros and will either use my PC as a Mac or fully switch to MacBook + docking station completely.

Anyway, so far almost everything seems to work, with a few exceptions. As you can see from my profile page I have a very similar setup. The two most annoying things at the moment are no sound and something with the graphics adapter isn't right, either.

I use a 2.1 Logitech speaker system to output sound, connected to the motherboard with the usual 3.5mm connector. All I can see as output devices in System Settings > Sound are my AppleTV and AVR Receiver. No "built in" like you show above in one of your screenshots. When I ran MultiBeast I selected the exact same two Realtek sound drivers you did.

And none of the nVidia drivers from the link above work. I get a message telling me that my Mac OS version is not compatible (Mac OS X version 10.12.1 (16B2555) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.) I ended up looking for a Mac OS driver on nVidia's website and downloaded their "nVidia CUDA 8.0 for Mac OS X" driver version 8.0.46 (http://www.nvidia.de/object/macosx-cuda-8.0.46-driver-de.html), so I at least get 4K resolution again. However when I drag a window around, for example Safari, I get artefacts and lag.

One more thing - I also applied the fix for "Messages", works very well. Yet this somehow broke the automatic boot of Clover. I get the Clover boot menu (which looks somewhat more oldschoold than the one on the USB stick and the one I had after enabling boot from disk using MultiBeast the first time, by the way), but have to press <Enter> to actually boot into my Mac installation.FIXED.

That's it for now, again THANK YOU for this guide, I appreciate it! Any help you or anybody else can give me is also highly appreciated!

Updates: I used Clover Configurator to fix the autoboot problem. And I found the proper nVidia drivers in another thread, this time the install went through. Unfortunately after about 80% of the boot my screen doesn't receive a signal any more when booting using the nVidia drivers. I was able to connect remotely using TeamViewer and resetting the drivers to built in.

Last edited:
Currently running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
full

Are still using El Capitan on your system?

did you seeing apple logo and loading bar after clover boot screen?

I have a nearly identical build, but have a few minor issues. Neither bluetooth or wifi show up under my network adapters, only ethernet is recognized. mausi d0 or d3 both work as far as enabling the ethernet.
Aside from that, I also have random crashes that produce no report. I first noticed when I was using VLC for playback. Random crash when loading a new video file after playing a video file. It has also happened while I was using Logic Pro 9 and X. It has also happened when using firefox with youtube streaming or playing. I dont know where to start with that one. I tried removing a migrated ntfs and wma panel in sys prefs and all associated files, deleted the airport prefs, nwinterfaces, prefs plists n rebooted. I'm seeing how the mausi d0 works. It has basically happened every day at least once. Most of the time, it is not too big an inconvenience, but I'm sure you know how it can be, haha.
Thanks again for all the info and interaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back