Contribute
Register

BeamSyncDropper – Tool to disable BeamSync permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Withoutaface,

Just to thank you.
I used your source to create a command line app that disables 2D Acceleration "a la Quartz Debug"
that i needed at boot in the login window.

The code is, if anyone needs it:

//Disable Quartz 2D Accelleration
CGSSetDebugOptions(327680);

Best regards,
voidRunner

Hello,

i created a updated version of the tool to provide also a 'start' and 'force' feature to get BeamSync back working.

So there are now three parameters to switch BeamSync on and off:

### README - BeamSyncDropper2 v2 ###

--- Commands: ---
Start (use '-start' parameter)
Stop (use '-stop' parameter)
Force (use '-force' parameter)
[no parameter = stop command]

--- Just trying: ---
1. Go to the extracted directory with Terminal
(example: 'cd /Users/Name/Desktop/BeamSyncDropper2/LionBuild')
2. chmod 775 BeamSyncDropper2
3. run with './BeamSyncDropper2' to drop BeamSync

Run './BeamSyncDropper2 -start' to turn BeamSync on again.

--- Installation: ---
1. Copy the file BeamSyncDropper2 to a location (i use '/Extra') and set permissions ('chmod 775 BeamSyncDropper2').
2. edit the 1 row of the applescript BeamSyncDropper2Starter to your
path.
3. Save the script as program (use 'save as' option).
4. Open system settings, go to user menu and add the script in the start items section.
5. Logout and login again.

(If you see a apple script icon in the taskbar for <= 5 sec then it's alive!)

[#1 If you used the old version install both the starter and the tool from v2 version. The old starter does not work with the new version]
[#2 The package only contains a Lion SDK build but it's also working on Mountain Lion]

Regards
Withoutaface

Attachments

• BeamSyncDropper2_v2.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,315
Does this works on Mavericks?

Looking at the source for this, it looks like you never implemented the -start command to re-enable it. I don't have XCode installed, and therefore am stuck in the disabled state permanently. Any chance you could compile it with support for re-enabling it?

Thanks for the tool!!

Code:
# ./BeamSyncDropper2 -stop
2014-03-07 20:43:25.389 BeamSyncDropper2[64302:507] Starting BeamSyncDropper2 by Withoutaface
2014-03-07 20:43:25.400 BeamSyncDropper2[64302:507] BeamSync disabled!

# ./BeamSyncDropper2 -start
2014-03-07 20:43:26.972 BeamSyncDropper2[64303:507] Starting BeamSyncDropper2 by Withoutaface
2014-03-07 20:43:26.982 BeamSyncDropper2[64303:507] BeamSync disabled!

Whoops! Just realized you later released a BeamSyncDropper2 *v2*. Grabbed that and it works fine now! Thanks again!

Hello Withoutaface!

This seems to be working on Yosemite for me! I just upgraded my VMWare Mavericks image to Yosemite and noticed my FPS was absolutely horrible. I dug around the internets and found your script! Thank you so much! I will be seeing less of this :beachball:

This has made my VM/Hackintosh livable... I am on a 2010 ASUS UL80 laptop with the i3 and NVIDIA Optima / Intel hybrid. :)

Many thanks for this. I didn't have performance issues with my first Yosemite setup, but for some reason after a recent reinstall to the same machine it felt like there was a lag to everything. Turning off transparency helped slightly, but BeamSyncDropper made things feel like new again. Now I can put off hardware upgrades for a while yet again. :) Also makes a huge difference inside a VM I use occasionally. That thing really dragged (~2 seconds to open or minimize a window), but now feels close to native.

Hey Withoutaface,

Dude are totally amazeballs. Works like magic with my Vmware Yosemite 10.10.3

FYI - looks like this won't work anymore on El Capitan. QuartzDebug doesn't have the Beam Sync option anymore. Good thing Chrome has disabled VSYNC, but other apps like Android Studio 1.5 still haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back