i7-860
Graphics
9800 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Tony,

I just noticed Firefox hogging the CPU of my MBP [email protected]+4GB RAM... 20% CPU when posting a reply...

At the same time I noticed the smilies really crawl...
Closed Firefox, opened just images/smilies/beachball.gif in a fresh window, and it even got to 26% CPU... o_O

Tried on Safari, and it takes merely 3%, but rotates much slowly.

Am I the only one using Firefox ? Anybody else seeing this ?

Could you take a look at it ?

TIA,
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac said:
opened just images/smilies/beachball.gif in a fresh window, and it even got to 26% CPU...

Tried this in Firefox, Safari and Chrome. At least according to iStat Pro they use negligible cpu cycles in all three, although it was spinning much faster in Firefox. Chrome and Safari spin the ball much slower.

Thanks Carbine...

Mind checking with Activity Monitor ?

Also, on which rig are you testing this ?
Might be hard to compare your i7 with the aging C2D MBP...

TIA

with Activity Monitor I see 1% cpu for either Chrome or Safari but Firefox is up to 5%

This is with the system in my sig below, so 5% is very significant.

and interestingly, if I view this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2469 with dozens of beachballs spinning at once, Firefox is using 17-19% cpu, but Chrome can view that topic and still only use 1% cpu (hovers around 1.2)

Edit: forgot to check Safari. Safari is up to 5% cpu on viewing that topic

Lnx2Mac said:
carbine said:
and interestingly, if I view this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2469 with dozens of beachballs spinning at once, Firefox is using 17-19% cpu
:D
56% on mine...

Odd- I'm getting like 6-12% on FF- will test Safari and Chrome now. 40-50% on flash stuff.

tonymacx86 said:
Odd- I'm getting like 6-12% on FF- will test Safari and Chrome now. 40-50% on flash stuff.
May be I wasn't clear enough...
This is on my 2008 MacBook Pro 17" (C2D @ 2.5GHz + 4GB RAM)...
A bit aging, but still a workhorse...

Lnx2Mac said:
tonymacx86 said:
May be I wasn't clear enough...
This is on my 2008 MacBook Pro 17" (C2D @ 2.5GHz + 4GB RAM)...
A bit aging, but still a workhorse...

Yeah- one thing I just noticed- on Safari it gets up there too- it's probably an animated gif thing. Also, Safari doesn't seem to spin the beachball as fast as Firefox... like you said. :p

Chrome is the same- beachball is slow as molasses.

Lol this may be really off topic, but on Windows XP with firefox my old Pentium 4 is taking up 0% :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back