Contribute
Register

Be careful: security update 2016-001 and NVidia webdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are the Web Drivers so flakey in terms of version support.

On Windows, you can pretty much patch the system any which way and the drivers will function correctly?

Yes, the new driver is available and works.
The only things I did to install the security update and driver updates:
- install security updates
- restart
- check nividia preferences in System Preferences (or wait a few seconds and then Nvidia runs by itself the update)
- install the driver update
- restart.

No need to change clover switches (e.g. nvda_drv=1). After the first restart the screen starts in 640*480 resolution, but is still functional.

How about Cameleon users?

Edit: Works great. Thanks to all.

o_O After a few harrowing moments, and restarts and a kext cache rebuild (or three) i got it working with the newest yosemite version 14F1605 , with nvidia 346.02.03f005, but watch out! I previously had removed apple graphics control.kext and graphicspowercontrol.kext to get my card to work. however this time, on boot regardless of the nvidiadrv=1 flags it would only go to the built in , safe-mode type driver. NOW it boots, but i seem to have lost audio over HDMI, with the great HDMIaudio.kext. I may restart and re-install it several times with kext beast (heard that might work) and see if it loads again, otherwise ppl using their monitors for sound may have to dig up another updated HDMI audio kext or ETC. WHEW. Im just happy to be back on full resolution! So YES it does work if you would rather stay with yosemite, but be careful.

>Always read the contents of the security updates, in which they usually outline which kexts have changed and might cause your system problems. :beachball:

>>I'm still having a different issue after the 2016-001 security update where, it seems like the kextcache isn't being used, and it runs through a check on everything (i always use verbose) before it boots as if I had type (-f) or done a kext rebuild etc, which ive done, etc perms repair etc, . I've tried a few different things, but it's still booting this way , they changed kext signatures or ? Any ideas on how to get it back into a quicker boot? Always use kext dev mode flag , is this a side effect?

Nvidia driver DOES work.:sick:

Works ok on my end as well.

Requires three reboots:

1. To install the Security Update
2. To install the Nvidia Drivers
3. To enable the Nvidia Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back