Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> BCM94360CS2 antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same card: Bluetooth is working, Wi-Fi - barely. I can see the networks, but can't join any of them. Does anybody know what can be the problem?

Last edited:
I have the same card: Bluetooth is working, wi-fi however is showing all the networks but can't join any of them. Does anybody know what can be the problem?
I wonder if the WiFi/BT module that comes pre-installed on your motherboard might be interfering. On Gigabyte motherboards with on-board WiFi/BT, we use an SSDT to render the on-board device invisible to macOS.

Something else to try: Clear NVRAM. At the Clover Boot Menu, press F1 for help. You will see a list of options, one of them being to clear NVRAM. Kind of a long shot, but worth a try.

I wonder if the WiFi/BT module that comes pre-installed on your motherboard might be interfering. On Gigabyte motherboards with on-board WiFi/BT, we use an SSDT to render the on-board device invisible to macOS.

Something else to try: Clear NVRAM. At the Clover Boot Menu, press F1 for help. You will see a list of options, one of them being to clear NVRAM. Kind of a long shot, but worth a try.
Thanks for replying. The pre-installed module was replaced by the BCM94360CS2 + adapter, so I guess this is out of the question.

Clearing NVRAM didn't help :(

I have a symptom that may be of help, hand-off seems to work and I do have occasional slow internet connection for couple of seconds. Do you think antennas are the problem in this case?

Thanks for replying. The pre-installed module was replaced by the BCM94360CS2 + adapter, so I guess this is out of the question.

Clearing NVRAM didn't help :(

I have a symptom that may be of help, hand-off seems to work and I do have occasional slow internet connection for couple of seconds. Do you think antennas are the problem in this case?
I actually forgot to ask you to check WiFi signal strength. If you are able to connect to an SSID, OPTION-Click the WiFi icon on the menu bar. Under the name of the network you're connected to, you will see some indented gray lines of text. One of them will be RSSI and the next one will be NOISE.

Try connecting to a couple of different SSIDs and check both of those numbers. RSSI between -60 and -70 dBm is good, but if it's much less than -70 then it's a signal attenuation problem. Better antennas or relocatable antennas might be worth considering.

Additional information about this:

I actually forgot to ask you to check WiFi signal strength. If you are able to connect to an SSID, OPTION-Click the WiFi icon on the menu bar. Under the name of the network you're connected to, you will see some indented gray lines of text. One of them will be RSSI and the next one will be NOISE.

Try connecting to a couple of different SSIDs and check both of those numbers. RSSI between -60 and -70 dBm is good, but if it's much less than -70 then it's a signal attenuation problem. Better antennas or relocatable antennas might be worth considering.

Additional information about this:
I think you are right about antennas. I wasn't able to connect to the wi-fi router again, so I tested by using personal hotspot on the iPhone. My Macbook had a -36 RSSI and -100 NOISE while being wirelessly connected to the iPhone laying next to it and my Hackintosh had -72 RSSI and -80 NOISE with the same distance to the iPhone.

I guess I have garbage antennas? The ones I have are: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32913680322.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.570833edXKbvyU

I think you are right about antennas. I wasn't able to connect to the wi-fi router again, so I tested by using personal hotspot on the iPhone. My Macbook had a -36 RSSI and -100 NOISE while being wirelessly connected to the iPhone laying next to it and my Hackintosh had -72 RSSI and -80 NOISE with the same distance to the iPhone.

I guess I have garbage antennas? The ones I have are: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32913680322.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.570833edXKbvyU
If there were no line-of-sight obstructions between the Hackintosh and iPhone, then you should certainly have seen a much higher RSSI. Try rotating the two antennas (i.e. reorienting them). You could, of course, get new high-gain antennas to see if they make a difference.

If there were no line-of-sight obstructions between the Hackintosh and iPhone, then you should certainly have seen a much higher RSSI. Try rotating the two antennas (i.e. reorienting them). You could, of course, get new high-gain antennas to see if they make a difference.
Thank you for your help. I'm giving up on trying to get Wi-Fi working cause I can't seem to understand what's wrong with antennas I've got and what antennas I'm supposed to replace them with.

It's off topic but maybe you know if it's possible to passthrough Wi-FI from my MacBook to my hack with this chain: MacBook -> Thunderbolt3/Ethernet adapter -> Ethernet cable into hackintosh.

Thank you for your help. I'm giving up on trying to get Wi-Fi working cause I can't seem to understand what's wrong with antennas I've got and what antennas I'm supposed to replace them with.

It's off topic but maybe you know if it's possible to passthrough Wi-FI from my MacBook to my hack with this chain: MacBook -> Thunderbolt3/Ethernet adapter -> Ethernet cable into hackintosh.
There are 2 connections that can impair WiFi reception:
  • WiFi antennas on the outside of the PC case.
  • Internal wires that connect the external antennas to the PCIe card.
    • These are Mhf4 cables.
    • Please check that these cables are securely connected to each port on the PCIe card.
By the way, do you have the Fenvi FV-T919?

To answer your specific question about WiFi passthrough. I think you're asking whether a wired Ethernet connection can be established between the MacBook and the Hackintosh. Yes, I believe it can. Your Hackintosh may then receive a self-assigned IP. It might take some experimentation.

There are 2 connections that can impair WiFi reception:
  • WiFi antennas on the outside of the PC case.
  • Internal wires that connect the external antennas to the PCIe card.
    • These are Mhf4 cables.
    • Please check that these cables are securely connected to each port on the PCIe card.
By the way, do you have the Fenvi FV-T919?

To answer your specific question about WiFi passthrough. I think you're asking whether a wired Ethernet connection can be established between the MacBook and the Hackintosh. Yes, I believe it can. Your Hackintosh may then receive a self-assigned IP. It might take some experimentation.

I'm using BCM94360CS2 with adapter and the antennas I linked in my previous post. What makes high-gain antennas stand out compared to mine? I'm pretty clueless and only look at the dBi value which seems to be okay in the antennas I use (12).

I'll give a wired connection a try, thanks.

I'm using BCM94360CS2 with adapter and the antennas I linked in my previous post. What makes high-gain antennas stand out compared to mine? I'm pretty clueless and only look at the dBi value which seems to be okay in the antennas I use (12).

I'll give a wired connection a try, thanks.
There is a lot of variation in the quality of these standalone modules and PCIe cards. We play the lottery when we buy these items. The Fenvi is consistently good and uses a desktop Broadcom chip. The 94360CS2 is a laptop chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back