GA-H170-WIFI
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD530
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I've been out of the hackintosh scene for a while and I'm thinking of jumping back in. I've been reading through all the posts about Skylake etc.

I found the BCM94360CS on Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDN4H9E/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) and was curious if it would provide the same OOB ease as the BCM94360CD. From what I've read, the only difference is that it has 3 antennas instead of 4. I guess the CS was used in the Mac Pro and the CD was used in the latest iMac.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Hi everyone,

I've been out of the hackintosh scene for a while and I'm thinking of jumping back in. I've been reading through all the posts about Skylake etc.

I found the BCM94360CS on Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDN4H9E/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) and was curious if it would provide the same OOB ease as the BCM94360CD. From what I've read, the only difference is that it has 3 antennas instead of 4. I guess the CS was used in the Mac Pro and the CD was used in the latest iMac.

Thanks in advance!

Adam
The CD version is 3 WiFi antenna + 1 BT antenna (iMac)
The CS version is 3 WiFi antenna - no BT (MacBook Pro)
The CS2 version is 2 WiFi antenna - no BT (MacBook Air)

The CD version is 3 WiFi antenna + 1 BT antenna (iMac)
The CS version is 3 WiFi antenna - no BT (MacBook Pro)
The CS2 version is 2 WiFi antenna - no BT (MacBook Air)

Interesting! Do you maybe know how this CS cards get WiFi reception in Macbooks? I've just bought 94331CSAX with and PCIex1 adapter with three antennas. After CAT everything works but Bluetooth signal is abysmally low. handfree is losing connection 2 meter from an open pc same for handoff.(

I'm using a BCM94360CS on a PCI-e adaptor. It has 3 antennas and it has bluetooth. Handoff, Continuity, iMessage, it all works. I only use the bluetooth for my Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad. Reception has been fine for both.

I'm using a BCM94360CS on a PCI-e adaptor. It has 3 antennas and it has bluetooth. Handoff, Continuity, iMessage, it all works. I only use the bluetooth for my Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad. Reception has been fine for both.

Bluetooth is present and it is working in close proximity but to me it seems like that signal is not amplified by antennas. At least judging RSSI of connected bluetooth speaker. Here is screenshot made when speaker is about a meter from open logic board. They are just on different sides of my desktop!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.01.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.01.28 PM.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 580
My Magic Mouse 2 is about 4' away. Here's reception:
Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 2.12.47 PM.png
My Magic Trackpad is a tad further away.
Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 2.12.57 PM.png

These figures are actually considerably better than what I used to get with my old MacPro5,1.

My Magic Mouse 2 is about 4' away. Here's reception:
View attachment 216099
My Magic Trackpad is a tad further away.
View attachment 216100

These figures are actually considerably better than what I used to get with my old MacPro5,1.
I wonder if one of the antennas is actually doubled as bluetooth then it could be that one of mine is not functioning thus that bad reception with Bluetooth. But how to make sure without reconecting all possible scenarios. Those antenna connectors are so flimsy I wouldn't want unplugging and repluging them more than I need.

I have tried using my Magic Mouse without any of the antennas screwed in and reception was very bad...

I have tried using my Magic Mouse without any of the antennas screwed in and reception was very bad...
Seems like amplification on bluetooth antenna in your setup is not working properly too. Just tried pairing my BT speaker to older macbook of mine RSSI is from -1 to -5dBm when on the other side of the flat. I suppose bluetooth antenna connector on Macbook Pro Retina must be on some other place and not on the card itself.

P.S. I've got some news. When disabling Wi-FI RSSI of bluetooth connection is dramatically improving. See screenshot. But still is too low.(

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 4.43.55 AM.png

Also what I've found is that middle connector on BCM94331CSAX is the one of bluetooth antenna. Disconnecting it prevents bluetooth from connecting (disconecting other two doesn't change anything regarding Bluetooth). Seems like it could be beneficial to try and move bluetooth antenna as far as possible from other two.

Well more news is I've tried connecting to my BT speaker with MB pro 2012 RSSI is comparably bad as on my Hack. Seems like it is nature of this combo BT/WiFI modules (Since old 2007 Macbook that was using different modules for BT and WiFi showing stellar RSSI on BT). I wonder if CD iMac modules have comparably bad RSSI on BT or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back