RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
See Post #10 before proceeding... The solution involved using a different adapter than the one captioned in the title.

This is regarding my Main build (MasterZee) I have a BCM94360CS2 installed and wanted to replace it with an adapter based on the BCM94360CD (reason: dedicated Bluetooth antenna)

The entire build was working brilliantly until I decided to futz around with this 'upgrade'.

The replacement card '94360CD' will not connect to ANY bluetooth devices no matter what I tried. But, WiFi worked fine.

I put the original '94360CS2' adapter back in and, with THAT card, BT works great. But, I cannot get WiFi to light up at all. (No Hardware Installed) :banghead:

I even went back to @RehabMan 's Broadcom guide to make sure I still had the correct setup (Best I can tell, it is correct.)

So, with the two problems being basically equal, I reinstalled the BCM94360CD and would like to get BT working on this adapter... Please help if you know what to do.

I have reset the BT module, deleted all devices, and even factory reset all Apple Devices from the drop-down menu.
I have checked and even replaced the USB connection and cable to the MB. I have made no changes to USB configuration. So, the same USB header should work as before. (The Broadcom hub IS listed in SysInfo)

The system seems to believe that BT is properly installed and working (See screenshot of Sysinfo). But, it certainly is not.
I am unable to turn BT off. So, that is not an option...

[EDIT: I have now performed a non-destructive re-install of 10.14.3 The BT still refuses to connect to any device. So, that tells me it is in the configuration somehow...]

To make matters worse... I was away from the system for several hours after my first attempt. And, my scheduled clone/backup ran while I was out. So, I cannot even restore the previous system now.

Any hints on what is going on here? How do I get BT working again?

Please help me figure this out.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.8 KB · Views: 140
  • MasterZee_BT_Problem.ioreg
    4.5 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
This is regarding my Main build (MasterZee) I have a BCM94360CS2 installed and wanted to replace it with an adapter based on the BCM94360CD (reason: dedicated Bluetooth antenna)

The entire build was working brilliantly until I decided to futz around with this 'upgrade'.

The replacement card '94360CD' will not connect to ANY bluetooth devices no matter what I tried. But, WiFi worked fine.

I put the original '94360CS2' adapter back in and, with THAT card, BT works great. But, I cannot get WiFi to light up at all. (No Hardware Installed) :banghead:

I even went back to @RehabMan 's Broadcom guide to make sure I still had the correct setup (Best I can tell, it is correct.)

So, with the two problems being basically equal, I reinstalled the BCM94360CD and would like to get BT working on this adapter... Please help if you know what to do.

I have reset the BT module, deleted all devices, and even factory reset all Apple Devices from the drop-down menu.
I have checked and even replaced the USB connection and cable to the MB. I have made no changes to USB configuration. So, the same USB header should work as before. (The Broadcom hub IS listed in SysInfo)

The system seems to believe that BT is properly installed and working (See screenshot of Sysinfo). But, it certainly is not.
I am unable to turn BT off. So, that is not an option...

[EDIT: I have now performed a non-destructive re-install of 10.14.3 The BT still refuses to connect to any device. So, that tells me it is in the configuration somehow...]

To make matters worse... I was away from the system for several hours after my first attempt. And, my scheduled clone/backup ran while I was out. So, I cannot even restore the previous system now.

Any hints on what is going on here? How do I get BT working again?

Please help me figure this out.
View attachment 385302View attachment 385303
Had a look at your config.plist... all OK. Can you put a link to the card you are now trying to get going with the BT please Ken.
My 'gut' feeling ATM, is that it is natively supported in macOS, just like mine is, and hence does not require any patches in /L/E as per the Rehabman guide. Try removing the kexts that you have installed based on his guide, but don't delete the Lilu.kext as you will still need that for WhateverGreen. Then do the kernelcache -i / in a terminal, and fix any errors etc, then F11 in the Clover Menu.
PS. I always do a cold boot when changing hardware, e.g turn off the computer, and remove the power cord to the power supply for at least 30 seconds or more.

Let us know how this goes.

Had a look at your config.plist... all OK. Can you put a link to the card you are now trying to get going with the BT please Ken.
My 'gut' feeling ATM, is that it is natively supported in macOS, just like mine is, and hence does not require any patches in /L/E as per the Rehabman guide. Try removing the kexts that you have installed based on his guide, but don't delete the Lilu.kext as you will still need that for WhateverGreen. Then do the kernelcache -i / in a terminal, and fix any errors etc, then F11 in the Clover Menu.
PS. I always do a cold boot when changing hardware, e.g turn off the computer, and remove the power cord to the power supply for at least 30 seconds or more.

Let us know how this goes.

Jim,
thanks for taking a look at this for me.

Here is the link to the exact adapter I purchased.

Indeed, I have NOT tried running it without the various Broadcom kexts. I will do that this evening and, see what shakes loose.

Your link is not working, but as it is a PCIe card the Bluetooth is powered from USB - there should be a short USB cable that clips onto the PCIe card and connects to a USB 2.0 extension port on your motherboard.

If this is powered correctly, then it should show up under the USB section of your hardware. You may also still need to configure USB to work correctly.

Your Broadcom card is listed as compatible:

Yes, that card ‘orange’ is nearly identical to mine. And as Adrian says you have to connect the USB to one of the f_usb usb 2 ports on the Motherboard.
Might also pay to try it with those 3 USB patches removed from your ACPI patched directory just in case the port is not being patched properly. To get sleep working without the USB port waking it, it has to be marked as internal (255). I’ll check a bit later with you on that as I’m out ATM.

Your link is not working, but as it is a PCIe card the Bluetooth is powered from USB - there should be a short USB cable that clips onto the PCIe card and connects to a USB 2.0 extension port on your motherboard.

If this is powered correctly, then it should show up under the USB section of your hardware. You may also still need to configure USB to work correctly.

Your Broadcom card is listed as compatible:

Thanks for checking in on this. I'm not sure what's up with the link. It works when I click on it.

The card is connected to USB using the included connector. As mentioned, the Bluetooth does indeed 'show up' in sysInfo. Under USB it appears as a BroadcomHub (exact terminology not available to me ATM) It just won't connect to anything.

I will be removing the BroadcomXXX kexts. And, try it again this evening after work. This actually makes sense after reading several related posts which, eventually come to the vanilla conclusion as well.

Yes, that card ‘orange’ is nearly identical to mine. And as Adrian says you have to connect the USB to one of the f_usb usb 2 ports on the Motherboard.
Might also pay to try it with those 3 USB patches removed from your ACPI patched directory just in case the port is not being patched properly. To get sleep working without the USB port waking it, it has to be marked as internal (255). I’ll check a bit later with you on that as I’m out ATM.
Yes, (Sorry I got distracted by something and did not complete my earlier thought.) I'm fairly certain that it is the same assembly as the Fenvi Fv-T919. I was unable to acquire the Fenvi due to an out of stock situation when I decided to order these. I have five of them now for planned future builds.

The previous adapter (CS2) used the same USB header. So, at least that is a known-working component.

I believe the port is marked as internal in the SSDT patch. I will have to check that later as well. I did make some minor adjustments to the aml file to accommodate a later change of preference. It is possible... at least I think I still have the dsl file somewhere.
At any rate, it has had no issues with sleep or wake.

Last edited:
@jb007

I removed all broadcom kexts from /L/E/ There was no change in the behavior. Wifi still works. And, BT is shown in System Information but, will not connect to any device.

I then removed all USB patches from Clover/Acpi/Patched. Still no change in the behavior. Wifi works - BT will not connect.

Both times, I deleted the Bluetooth.plist from /L/P/
On the second attempt, I deleted the System Configuration folder from /L/P/

No change.

Then, I moved the USB connection to the other USB header... same results.

I then tried another one of the "Orange Juice" cards... Same result.

Is it just me? or is this beyond hinky?

I don't have any more tricks.

Last edited:
@jb007

I removed all broadcom kexts from /L/E/ There was no change in the behavior. Wifi still works. And, BT is shown in System Information but, will not connect to any device.

I then removed all USB patches from Clover/Acpi/Patched. Still no change in the behavior. Wifi works - BT will not connect.

Both times, I deleted the Bluetooth.plist from /L/P/
On the second attempt, I deleted the System Configuration folder from /L/P/

No change.

Then, I moved the USB connection to the other USB header... same results.

I then tried another one of the "Orange Juice" cards... Same result.

Is it just me? or is this beyond hinky?

I don't have any more tricks.
Even though the link to to Amazon says that this is a BCM94360CD from the vendor and product ids, I believe it is a BCM943602CS. There are many threads on here regarding the BT not working, most are out of date or with no solution.
Do you have a Windows 10 PC you can try it in. I received a CD with drivers on it, that I had to use to get the card going under windows. Maybe windows will load the correct firmware??? I'm grasping at straws, but heck it's worth a shot.

Even though the link to to Amazon says that this is a BCM94360CD from the vendor and product ids, I believe it is a BCM943602CS. There are many threads on here regarding the BT not working, most are out of date or with no solution.
Do you have a Windows 10 PC you can try it in. I received a CD with drivers on it, that I had to use to get the card going under windows. Maybe windows will load the correct firmware??? I'm grasping at straws, but heck it's worth a shot.
@jb007

I have read many of those threads today hoping for a solution. But, I did not connect the dots as you did.

However, you may very well be correct. Unscrupulous seller perhaps? Or, maybe they just popped it into a hack and saw that the Bluetooth module loaded. But, didn't bother to actually test functionality.
These adapters came with a Fenvi Driver Disk by the way. So, they ARE from the same assembler.

Fortunately, they were purchased from Amazon. So, the return window will be open for a while longer. I am going to make sure the seller knows exactly how displeased I am.

After going through all five of these adapters... on three different machines tonight, I have come to the conclusion that it is definitely NOT what it was advertised to be or is an entire batch of defective cards.

I put the old BCM94360CS2 back into this machine... without the Broadcom kexts... And, once I found a slot that it liked, it lit up like a Christmas tree. (So, the unneeded kexts were the issue all along. nice catch!)

I was initially having a separate issue where IOReg was not showing devices connected to the USB tree. Suddenly the entire section populates with ALL manner of useful data. Among this data is a lovely little line that says "Bluetooth USB Host Controller".
Therefore, the issue I was having, that prompted me to replace the adapter in the first place, is resolved. "Wacom Intuos Pro M" the stylus no longer stutters across the screen.

But, now, I am stuck for adapters to use in RevengeOfZee and FinalZee... Back to Amazon it is.

So for posterity: The BCM94360CD adapters sold as "Orange Juice" are NOT the BCM94360CD which is compatible with hacks. I feel justified in that conclusion in that NONE of these cards had useable Bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back