Intel Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 @3.6 GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA*GeForce*GT*710*2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a FIOS connection of 50/50, so my speed is usually fast. Downloads are still fast, however once I installed my wifi card to get continuity working every link I click stalls. After maybe 8-10 seconds of a blank page (using Safari) with the blue loading bar not moving the page pops up as fast as it usually should all at once. Same goes for other browsers.

What could be causing this?

Which adapter are you using ? What kind of slot is it installed in ?

adapter:
Fenvi (Special Use) Wireless WIFI Card to Desktop PC PCI-E Express Adapter Converter + Low-profile Bracket for Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD Module

it's in the PCIx1 slot

In the attached pic it's 2nd card from the left. The big one on the left is an ExpressSAS 4-port converter card in my one pcix16 slot. The empty PCI is just to the right of the wifi adapter card, and all the way on the right (the bottom of the tower) is the graphics card in a pcix16 slot that actually only functions as a pcix4 slot. Thank you Dell for thinking ahead. :/

Could the page load stalling be from my graphics card only operating on the bandwidth of the x4? I used to have it in the fully functional pcix16 and the expressSAS in the x4, but when I first installed the wifi card, I was getting intermittent system freezes completely randomly and I attributed it to the graphics card fan being 1/8" away from the wifi card. Since swapping those cards I haven't had the system freezes. If I remember right, the page loading problem was happening before swapping cards anyway, so I don't think that's the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 198
adapter:
Fenvi (Special Use) Wireless WIFI Card to Desktop PC PCI-E Express Adapter Converter + Low-profile Bracket for Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD Module

it's in the PCIx1 slot

In the attached pic it's 2nd card from the left. The big one on the left is an ExpressSAS 4-port converter card in my one pcix16 slot. The empty PCI is just to the right of the wifi adapter card, and all the way on the right (the bottom of the tower) is the graphics card in a pcix16 slot that actually only functions as a pcix4 slot. Thank you Dell for thinking ahead. :/

Could the page load stalling be from my graphics card only operating on the bandwidth of the x4? I used to have it in the fully functional pcix16 and the expressSAS in the x4, but when I first installed the wifi card, I was getting intermittent system freezes completely randomly and I attributed it to the graphics card fan being 1/8" away from the wifi card. Since swapping those cards I haven't had the system freezes. If I remember right, the page loading problem was happening before swapping cards anyway, so I don't think that's the problem.

Some of those Fenvi adaptors are funny in PCI-E x16 or x4 slots. Ive got one here which wont work in a X16 or x4 slot but works fine in a x1 slot. Some computers acts really funny with some Fenvi adaptors.

Is there anyway to test this sort of thing short of buying another adapter?

Is there anyway to test this sort of thing short of buying another adapter?

You shouldn't need to buy another. Just send the old one back and ask for a replacement as the one you have is faulty.

Well, the same Fenvi adapter isn't online any more, so I replaced it with another one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YQHEA6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This one fixed the problem of my delay when loading web pages: yay!
And now my Apple Watch unlock works (it didn't before).

But the rest of my continuity/handoff features are not working still. I either get "handoff could not complete" messages when trying to handoff Messages or Maps, or the "loading..." message just doesn't load anything when trying to handoff Mail or Safari.
Universal clipboard also doesn't work.

How do I know if this is an adapter problem or a wifi card problem? Or maybe something else?

Well, the same Fenvi adapter isn't online any more, so I replaced it with another one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YQHEA6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This one fixed the problem of my delay when loading web pages: yay!
And now my Apple Watch unlock works (it didn't before).

But the rest of my continuity/handoff features are not working still. I either get "handoff could not complete" messages when trying to handoff Messages or Maps, or the "loading..." message just doesn't load anything when trying to handoff Mail or Safari.
Universal clipboard also doesn't work.

How do I know if this is an adapter problem or a wifi card problem? Or maybe something else?

Attach you're config.plist. Most likely iCloud is not working correctly.

Here it is. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.3 KB · Views: 213
Here it is. Thanks for looking!

SMBIOS Trust/disabled should be Trust/True. You have no MLB, ROM, SmUUID. Ethernet should be set to Build-in/en0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back