Contribute
Register

Bcm94352z | dw1560 causes Windows 10 Lockup / Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Killuminati91,

Yes it's a known issue that affects some systems, the root cause is that the windows driver is just a repackaged Win 7 BCM95342 mini PCIe version and is not specific to the M.2 BCM95342Z version running on Windows 10. The driver file bcmwl63a.sys crashes when a badly timed interrupt occurs (confirmed using an oscilloscope on the interrupt line) .

However, it only seems to do it on some systems and/or BCM95342Z suggesting that the interrupt line level logic on some cards is tighter than on others ... I did a lot of research and investigation on the issue but never found a solution ... in the end I gave up on the BCM95342Z (DW1560) and replaced it with a DW1830,

I posted my findings in this post:-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7-7500u-kaby-lake.213327/page-17#post-1609866

The BCM43602 WiFi chipset on a DW1830 card is a much better WiFi solution with MacOS native support but you must add a 3rd Antenna, Bluetooth is handled by a BCM20450 chipset which supports BT4.1LE thus allowing much better continuity and handoff compatibility.

Trust me you wont find a solution, save yourself the pain and get a DW1830, you may (like i did) have to tape the enable/disable pins 54 & 56 which i covered in the above link.

Cheers
Jay

I've replaced my card with another (nearly) identical Chinese DW1560 and downloaded the following drivers from the Dell site "Network_Driver_71T5D_WN32_7.35.340.0_A03.EXE" (google is your friend) which is the latest DW1560 Windows 10 driver Dell provides for any notebook. Run the executable, extract the files and manually replace the current broadcom driver with the DW1560 one. After that I disabled "Minimal Power Consumption" as well as "Wake On Magic Packet" and "Wake on Pattern Match". I haven't had a 'freeze' in two days. Since I've changed several things at one time I didn't mention it since it didn't particularly narrow it down to one thing and it could even be that the new card is less tricky than the previous one... Also I’ve never encountered the issue in any OS other than Windows so far.

Last edited:
After that I disabled "Minimal Power Consumption" as well as "Wake On Magic Packet" and "Wake on Pattern Match". I've haven't had a 'freeze' in two days.

@sparc1234,

Nice find, it's possible that by disabling those parameters the card does not genearte the unexpected interrupt which crashes the bcmwl63a.sys driver file.

I'll stick with the DW1830 as it is a better card but I hope this helps those that are suffering from this issue.

Cheers
Jay

I've replaced my card with another (nearly) identical Chinese DW1560 and downloaded the following drivers from the Dell site "Network_Driver_71T5D_WN32_7.35.340.0_A03.EXE" (google is your friend) which is the latest DW1560 Windows 10 driver Dell provides for any notebook. Run the executable, extract the files and manually replace the current broadcom driver with the DW1560 one. After that I disabled "Minimal Power Consumption" as well as "Wake On Magic Packet" and "Wake on Pattern Match". I haven't had a 'freeze' in two days. Since I've changed several things at one time I didn't mention it since it didn't particularly narrow it down to one thing and it could even be that the new card is less tricky than the previous one... Also I’ve never encountered the issue in any OS other than Windows so far.

Hey sparc, are you still using the DW1560 under Windows without crashes? I had my DW1560 working for a few weeks under Windows with no crashes but it started crashing Windows and since then I just swapped back to my Killer 1535.

Hey sparc, are you still using the DW1560 under Windows without crashes? I had my DW1560 working for a few weeks under Windows with no crashes but it started crashing Windows and since then I just swapped back to my Killer 1535.

Yes, no issues here..... other than that if the notebook goes to sleep that I’ll need to restart Windows 10 for WiFi to be able to connect to the network again.

Yes, no issues here..... other than that if the notebook goes to sleep that I’ll need to restart Windows 10 for WiFi to be able to connect to the network again.

Thanks, i'll try putting the DW1560 again and install those drivers with your instructions, and also disable Windows Update (i've noticed Windows likes to replace drivers even when I manually choose them)

@sparc1234 Your solution worked perfectly. I personally did not disable Minimum power consumption (only turned off Wake on Magic Packet and Wake on Pattern Match) and everything is working correctly - no crashes anymore. Thank you!

@sparc1234 Your solution worked perfectly. I personally did not disable Minimum power consumption (only turned off Wake on Magic Packet and Wake on Pattern Match) and everything is working correctly - no crashes anymore. Thank you!

Did exactly the same, using the latest driver from Windows Update (7.35.352.0).
No crashes so far. Before it was at least before 1 hour of use.
Have you had any crash since then?
Thanks

I can confirm that for my Lenovo X1 extreme that the solutions discussed here (the trick of turning off the Wake on Magic Packet and Wake on Pattern Match) do NOT work to solve the windows problem with the DW1560. Anyone have luck on a non-Dell motherboard?
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back