X1Carbon 5Gen
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I have installed Mojave of my Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB, and I patched power management as per guide by @RehabMan .
However, the power consumption (especially in sleep) drops much higher than usual(on windows) yet I couldn't find what's wrong.

Any ideas?

debug files attached.

Attachments

• debug_27762.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 61
I have installed Mojave of my Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB, and I patched power management as per guide by @RehabMan . However, the power consumption (especially in sleep) drops much higher than usual(on windows) yet I couldn't find what's wrong.

@berry64,

Thats pretty normal when running MacOS on a none Apple Laptop, since many of the built in devices are not optimised for MacOS and Apple implements power management at a very low level on MacBook's.

Generally you will see around 50% battery life on MacOS compared to Windows ... you can improve things a little by using AHCI code to disable devices that don't work in MacOS such as dGPU, card reader .. etc but gains are minimal.

On my 2017 HP Spectre X360 I see around 11 hours on battery power when running Windows 10 where as in MacOS Mojave i'll see around 5 hours at a push (depends on work load) with the dGPU disabled (Nvidia MX 940).

Of course you should check that you have implemented native CPU and IGPU power management as per that guide.

I think Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB has Nvidia dGPU which you can not use in MacOs so you should disable it by using AHCI code to call the _OFF method which should result in a bit more run time when on battery power.

See this guide for more info and how to :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@berry64,

Thats pretty normal when running MacOS on a none Apple Laptop, since many of the built in devices are not optimised for MacOS and Apple implements power management at a very low level on MacBook's.

Generally you will see around 50% battery life on MacOS compared to Windows ... you can improve things a little by using AHCI code to disable devices that don't work in MacOS such as dGPU, card reader .. etc but gains are minimal.

On my 2017 HP Spectre X360 I see around 11 hours on battery power when running Windows 10 where as in MacOS Mojave i'll see around 5 hours at a push (depends on work load) with the dGPU disabled (Nvidia MX 940).

Of course you should check that you have implemented native CPU and IGPU power management as per that guide.

I think Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB has Nvidia dGPU which you can not use in MacOs so you should disable it by using AHCI code to call the _OFF method which should result in a bit more run time when on battery power.

See this guide for more info and how to :-

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for the reply, I actually only have one intel gpu.
The bigger problem that I am experiencing now is that when I put my laptop to sleep and put it in my bag for some reason it gets really hot and starts burning battery really fast, any thoughts to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back