Contribute
Register

Basics for Overclocking Ivy Bridge (Gigabyte Z77/i5-3570K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running my i3770k at around 1.76 vcore at 4.4 GHZ with an offset.

There must be a digit, or zero missing from that vcore. You'd need LN to keep 1.76 cool, and if you were using LN, i don't think you'd be reporting 4.4Ghz =).

Software: Mountain Lion works OOB with Ivy Bridge. You do not need an SSDT, even when overclocking! The CPU will throttle back and forth automatically between 1.6GHz and your Turbo Core settings, based on your system load.

Can you clarify something for me.... There is a difference between "Speed Step" working and "CPU throttle back" in regards to native Ivy Bridge/Z77 support. Yes ML 10.8.x natively supports Ivy bridge CPU power management (CPU Throttling), example, 1.6ghz under minimal load and then jumps to turbo 3.9ghz when load demands. But it doest not natively suport "Speed Stepping". This requires a SSDT edit and a smbios (iMac 12,2) or the likes that supports Intel Speed Step technology. Lastly why do you recommend running iMac 12,2 instead of MacPro 3,1 if they both support Ivy Bridge CPU Power management (throttling)?

I was looking for a little help to a question about your post I have pretty much the exact same build except for maybe some peripherals but my problem is when i go into MIT>Advancenced Freq settings>Adv CPU core features, it wont let me change the turbo ratio off from auto and the same for Vcore but i can change the base clock ratio in the graphical part of the menu but thats it would you know any reason why is there something else i need to change first? thanks for your time

I just thought I'd drop my success story in this thread, since this is where I got my method. I'm currently running with Turbo clock of 4.4 GHz, and offset voltage set at 0.00. I might try to either lower the offset or increase the clock speed sometime later. As of now, I was able to run Prime95 on Blend for 8.5 hours with no issues and core temperatures peaking at around 75C. That is with a Hyper 212 Evo with the stock fan. Idle temps range from 28C to the mid 30's.

One tip I would give is that when setting Vcore to "normal," one must simply type "nor" with Vcore selected, hit return, and it will fill in with "Normal." At first I tried to type the whole word, but it wouldn't go. It's a real shame that Gigabyte doesn't seem to offer any kind of documentation about this.

Here are my pre- and post-OC Cinebench results. OCing certainly made a difference.
Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 7.50.30 AM.png

Hi Hackintosh Overclockers,

I have read this thread carefully and overclocked my system with bios but it does not affect ML. The settings work under windows 8 as stetted.
My system:
Gigabyte Ga Z77N- wifi F2
i7-3770k
EVGA GTX 660ti
256 GB SSD (OSX 10.8.3) and 2 TB HDD (win8) dual boot.

i used SDST free install with MB 5.3 and tried several settings (Mac Pro 3.1, iMac 13,2, macmini 6,1 & 2)

Is there one small thing that i did not check?

best regards

Rainer

I changed turbo to 4,4, and then enabled EIST, and left vcore on auto. But HWmonitor showed my max voltage as 1,310 :eek:
Did I damage my chip?
Should it be on normal and not auto? And if normal, do i set offset to normal or auto?
Thanks so much

Tried with Eist enabled, vcore normal(1,130), offset +0.000 @ 4,4 GHz and HWmonitor said my vcore max was 1.200v, and that was just during startup. Shouldn't those settings mean that the vcore would stay @ 1,130v?

Tried with Eist enabled, vcore normal(1,130), offset +0.000 @ 4,4 GHz and HWmonitor said my vcore max was 1.200v, and that was just during startup. Shouldn't those settings mean that the vcore would stay @ 1,130v?

The processor increases voltage when multiplier increases, and decreases it when it lowers. If you use 'normal', it will continue to do so. If you set a voltage, it will stay at that voltage (at all times, regardless of load). When using offset to overclock, you want to find the smallest offset (which can be negative) that allows your processor to be stable at load AND at idle (the offset is applied to the CPU voltage in all states). At 44, you shouldn't have any problems with idle stability, at lower max multi's, it's often the idle state that limits how negative you can go (going below -0.1 offset often results in idle hangs).

So, try negative offsets. As a WAG, I'd start with -0.05 and go from there.

The processor increases voltage when multiplier increases, and decreases it when it lowers. If you use 'normal', it will continue to do so. If you set a voltage, it will stay at that voltage (at all times, regardless of load). When using offset to overclock, you want to find the smallest offset (which can be negative) that allows your processor to be stable at load AND at idle (the offset is applied to the CPU voltage in all states). At 44, you shouldn't have any problems with idle stability, at lower max multi's, it's often the idle state that limits how negative you can go (going below -0.1 offset often results in idle hangs).

So, try negative offsets. As a WAG, I'd start with -0.05 and go from there.
Thanks for the reply Skaker. On my UEFI(z77x-ud5h) I have to set vcore to normal, in order to set an offset. But the actual vcore keeps on rising even though i set it an offset much lower. I am fine on 44, but the vcore is more than I set, and that worries me. I would like to control it. And getting max temps 68C on 44 so wanna go higher. I looked through some OC forums, and I realized that I need to use a program to find the VID, Some guy on the forum wrote this: Vcore - VID =+/- offset. Am i wrong here? Will it be better to first find the vcore I need under load with a fixed vcore, in order to narrow down my offset?
Thanks for the help!

I too am very interested in how to start the process.

Do I need to work out "Vcore - VID =+/- offset" as Dahsoup says?

Do I start by raising the multiplier, keep raising and testing until I get crashes, then increase the offset from 0.00? Or start by lowering the offset at default multiplier?

Thanks for your help, there seem to be too many conflicting sources out there, I can't get my head around what's best to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back