Contribute
Register

Basics for Overclocking Ivy Bridge (Gigabyte Z77/i5-3570K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cooler Master 212 Plus has a 5 egg rating at www.newegg.com - how can you argue with that? After a few measurements and some confirmation it will fit my case (Thermaltake V3) it should barely fit, so I ordered one. It will be interesting to see if I can OC at 4.2 GHz

Thanks for these excellent instructions. I have the Gigabyte z77x-UD5H and an i5 3577K and was able to definitely raise my clock speed under load.

I do have a question though. On HWMonitors, even though I've changed the same settings you have, I'm not seeing a clock speed of above 3.8, and a multiplier of x38. I've set all my turbo settings to 44, and changed the voltage as you suggest, but I don't seem to be getting the full effect of the overclock. What else might be limiting it?

I have the Hyper 212 Plus installed on my i5 3570K running at the stock 3.4/3.8 GHz and my CPU temperature after running Prime 95 torture test for an hour is 66C-68C. With the stock Intel cooler, I was seeing 90C. Next step is to try overclocking.

any idea how much the power consumption increases with oc over non-oc?

any idea how much the power consumption increases with oc over non-oc?

It depends. Voltage and frequency both raise power consumption, independent of each other. Voltage has a much larger effect though. A maxed out overclock can double load power consumption (and depending on how you achieve it, significantly raise idle power draw also.)

I waited until Mountain Lion came out, and then built a new Ivy Bridge-based system with a Gigabyte
3) Go into MIT -> Advanced Voltage Settings, and set the CPU Vcore to 1.23V
4) Benchmark system with Prime95 for at least 6 hours; if stable, lower Vcore by 0.01V and try again

That's it, that's all you need to do. The chips are safe to run at 1.23V and should run stable at 4.4GHz at that speed. The only reason lowering Vcore matters is to reduce load temps and possibly extend the life of your chip. I brought my system down to 1.21V and it's now running stable here at 4.4GHz. Here's where my temps range, and under what circumstances:

BTW, this is not the 'best' way to overclock. You're better off using an offset voltage. Then the CPU can drop down to a lower voltage when at idle. On GA motherboards you do this by setting vcore to 'normal'. That then allows you to input an offset (I think it's dynamic voltage something or other, usually right below vcore setting). This offset is from the CPU's default voltage for a given turbo bin. First try it with zero offset and see where the voltage is. If it's not stable, increase offset by 0.005, rinse and repeat.

If it is stable at the overclock you want, with zero offset, you can try negative offsets. Again, start with -0.005 and go from there.

This method allows just as much control over load voltage as forcing a voltage, but has the advantage of allowing low voltage at idle (on a 3770k the idle voltage drops to 0.085-0.09, dropping power draw by 5-7watts compared to 1.10, and 10-14w compared to 1.21).

I must have crapped the bed putting the thermal compound on - having run Prime95 for about two hours so far, and my temps are in the low 80s with the CPU overclocked to 4.3ghz, with a Noctua NH-D14

I must have crapped the bed putting the thermal compound on - having run Prime95 for about two hours so far, and my temps are in the low 80s with the CPU overclocked to 4.3ghz, with a Noctua NH-D14

What did you do with voltage?

1.21v. Granted it's an Ivy Bridge, and I expected it to run a wee bit hotter, but not as hot as this. It's idling around 30 tho.

That is pretty toasty. If you're only interested in going to 4.3, you can probably get away with 1.10 (probably less, mine would do [email protected]) set voltage, or alternatively an offset of -0.05 (or lower, 0.05 good place to start).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back