Contribute
Register

Basics for Overclocking Ivy Bridge (Gigabyte Z77/i5-3570K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanwinkle, thx for your detailed instructions....

I'm a noob at Hackintoshes and OC... so excuse me if this is a silly qusetion. I have the i3770k already ( i use Premiere Pro CS6 which can utilise up to 16 cores/threads - so it made sense for me ...

I just want to check. will your guide work for this chip?

I must be missing something because I have the exact same motherboard and CPU and am unable to change any of the settings through the BIOS. Any thoughts/suggestions?

@ GSUS969,
i had the same problem - changing the bios settings on my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH was only possible with the plus key (num pad).

Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't change values in the bios too. (Also a UP5 TH)

I was pressing the Return key to try and make the selected value 'editable' - this didn't work.
Turns out you dont need to press return - just move down to the value you wish to edit using the cursor keys and then just type a new numerical value in.

Hadn't discovered the plus key method before, so cheers for that one! :)

I have my Asus P8Z77 V Pro, 3770k successfully overclocked to 4.5ghz (tested under full load for 24 hours, prime95 and aida64) with the Antec Kuhler 920 and been using for 5 months. gaming/processing/audio production/encoding etc etc

settings:
Base clock: 100
multiplier: 45
Cpu Pll over voltage: disabled
XMP memory profile: 1600mhz memory
offset voltage + 0.030
PLL voltage: 1.6v
Ram voltage 1.5v

temps around 55 degrees

My question is, does this overclock benefit the hack-mac as it does for windows?

My i5 3570K on a Gigabyte Z77 mb that is NOT overclocked is running much warmer than the maximum temperatures posted here. Using the stock fan, I'm seeing 40C at idle and running the Prime 95 torture test will small FFT for 30 minutes AND Heaven 3.0 benchmark at the same time, all 4 cores are averaging 90C according to HW Monitor. I'm running XMP Memory setting (1.65V) on my DDR3 1600 memory, and everything else is the default setting. Is this typical?

Well, my i7-3770K (not OC yet) seems to idle about 8 degrees above ambient at the moment. And today's been 34 C...
Not a lot of data points in that number, but I was interested to see that what I got home today. Will run a Prime95 when I get back to it later and see what it goes up to.

Tomorrow's a scorcher here too...

What's your ambient temp where you are?

I see the Cooler Master 212 Plus is on sale at Newegg for $19.99 after rebate. Is this a good choice for keeping CPU temps down? Does adding the second fan help significantly?

I see the Cooler Master 212 Plus is on sale at Newegg for $19.99 after rebate. Is this a good choice for keeping CPU temps down? Does adding the second fan help significantly?

hey mate

Anything other than the stock fan will keep the temps down!
When my pc is idle my temp is around 25 degrees. full load when stress testing I get around 50 degrees. I have an antec kuhler 920, so I'm getting great results.
also, you should consider some more fans. I have one at the front of case pulling air in and another fan at top of case pushing air out. Gives the air some flow. oh and the antec kuhler has 2x 2500 rpm fans pushing air through the water radiator and out the back of case.

Defo replace the stock fan for a better one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back