Contribute
Register

Basics for Overclocking Ivy Bridge (Gigabyte Z77/i5-3570K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: updating to Mavericks apparently did the trick. Not only does OSX now register the 42 multiplier, I have more CPU-states than before - very happy
If you have a similar problem on 10.8.5, updating to Mavericks might just work for you too.

Hey guys,

I'm scratching my head right now trying to figure out why on earth my overclock wont apply in ML.

I'm running 10.8.5 on an Asus P8Z77 V-LE with an Intel i5 3570K, MacPro 3.1 smbios.

I've followed this and multiple other guides on overclocking my CPU, and the end result is that the overclock applies when I boot up my Win 8 partition, but when I boot ML I'm stuck on two P-states. 1600 MHz and 3400 MHz. In windows I also have two P-states, but they are 1600 and 4200.
So it seems my overclock doesn't get "translated" very well into Mac OSX.. However, according to HWmonitor my CPU core voltage is 1.2 - which is a custom setting.
If i alter the base clock from 100 to 105 ML will notice the change, but the multiplier does jack.

Am I missing something really obvious here, guys?

Finally found the time to overclock and ended up sticking at 4.2 GHz, wasn't worth increasing voltage and heat for a couple hundred MHz. Once your over 40, you won't see much benefit anyways. Temperatures are under 70˚ and my games are playing as smooth a silk. Don't just use my settings, watch the video!

[video=youtube;mBEeXajbG2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBEeXajbG2o[/video]

Pg.1.pngPg.2.pngPg.3.pngPg.4.pngPg.5.pngPg.6.pngPg.7.pngPg.8.pngPg.9.pngPg.10.pngPg.11.pngPg.12.pngPg.13.pngPg.14.png

Can you clarify something for me.... There is a difference between "Speed Step" working and "CPU throttle back" in regards to native Ivy Bridge/Z77 support. Yes ML 10.8.x natively supports Ivy bridge CPU power management (CPU Throttling), example, 1.6ghz under minimal load and then jumps to turbo 3.9ghz when load demands. But it doest not natively suport "Speed Stepping". This requires a SSDT edit and a smbios (iMac 12,2) or the likes that supports Intel Speed Step technology. Lastly why do you recommend running iMac 12,2 instead of MacPro 3,1 if they both support Ivy Bridge CPU Power management (throttling)?

So does this mean that the power management isn't really working properly because speed step isn't working?

I'm a very experienced overclocker. Have few rigs in the 4.4ghz to 5.0ghz range for windows and mac over the past few years. So don't need help with OC settings or anything.

What I can't figure out is I can't my friends rig with 3570K to recognize anything over 34 multi. Don't matter what I set it too it won't show over x34 in OS X.

Tried Turbo enabled and disabled. Tried offset and fixed voltages. Tried with and without NullCPUPowerManagment.kext. What I'm I missing here ?

Would anyone be able to advise why my Ivy bridge doesn’t seem to overclock under High Sierra?

Works under W10 ...
I just replied to another thread with the same response, but: Check to see if your EIST settings in your BIOS are set to Auto. If so, change to Disable.

I just replied to another thread with the same response, but: Check to see if your EIST settings in your BIOS are set to Auto. If so, change to Disable.

You sir are a legend ... :D

Cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond and answer this query.

Fastest ever with a memory OC at 2133 Mhz.

iMac14,2

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score
4822 16879
Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)

Last edited:
Well, my old Hackintosh runs well with Single core 4419 and Multicore 12465 score. OC'ed to 4.4Mhz with water AIO (Maelstrom 120T)
I just upped up turbo limits to 4.4 and turn off EIST (but strangely it downclock normal, to 1.6 MHz...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back