Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been reading a lot on graphics cards compatibility but could do with an answer to a fairly obvious (possibly dumb) question:

Basically, does it matter at all who makes the card? If I go for a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, which is one of those currently recommended, do I really need to also limit my choice to the brands listed on the buyer's guide?

I ask mainly because I'm trying to build a quiet computer, and I'm tempted by an offering from Palit, which is supposed to be very quiet. (Palit Geforce GTX 760 Jetstream 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card NE5X760H1042-1042J
)

It's also cheaper than most other offerings. So should it be compatible, or do I need to stick to the EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus versions?

[h=2][/h]

The answer is 'It depends' :)

Search the forums for people who have reported success with your chosen card. If they have you are good to go. The recommended list is not complete and not exhaustive. It doesn't include any AMD cards as they don't tend to offer good value for money (unless you use FCP X).

My advice would be unless you know 100% it works, assume it doesn't.

Rob.

I've been reading a lot on graphics cards compatibility but could do with an answer to a fairly obvious (possibly dumb) question:

Basically, does it matter at all who makes the card? If I go for a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, which is one of those currently recommended, do I really need to also limit my choice to the brands listed on the buyer's guide?

I ask mainly because I'm trying to build a quiet computer, and I'm tempted by an offering from Palit, which is supposed to be very quiet. (Palit Geforce GTX 760 Jetstream 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card NE5X760H1042-1042J
)

It's also cheaper than most other offerings. So should it be compatible, or do I need to stick to the EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus versions?

The GPUs brands in the Buyer's Guide are readily avaialable worldwide. Other brands, like Gainward, PNY, Palit or PowerColer, to name a few, are good OEM suppliers of GPUs, but their brand is not available in some countries. Palit is a good, mid-level supplier and makes a decent GPU. I would go with Palit over XFX any day. Best is to do some research - is the Palit card same as the "Reference card" except for the cooling solution? If answer to that question is yes, then go ahead and get it - it will likely work OK. If the chips used in the manufacture of the card do not match the "Reference card", do not buy it.

Thanks for the advice and swift responses. Since I lack the knowledge to really do much effective research into the alternative graphics cards, I've decided to stick with one of the recommended options - the Gigabyte 760.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back